“Fantastic location & value.”

The Place Aparthotel
Ranked #36 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Fort William, United Kingdom
“Fantastic location & value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here for three nights midweek. We opted for a two bedroom apartment which was more than enough for the two of us. This was the same price if not cheaper than an en-suite bedroom in hotels in the area. The hotel was right in the centre of the city, 5 minute walk from the shops and bars however wasn't noisy at all and we kept the window open each night. The décor was fine, very nicely restored brickwork and windows etc. There was a small bit of black mould in the silicon rubber of the bath, but nothing to worry about, the rooms and bathroom were very clean and tidied every day.

You could very easily go self-catering in these apartments, the kitchen was very well equipped, even with champagne flutes which we were not expecting. There was a tv in both rooms and also in the living room. On the second night we stayed in and had room service which were two pizzas and onion rings at a decent price and a friendly lady who delivered them.

We opted for a parking space for the 3 days at £9 per 24hrs. The cark park was underground and very secure. The reception staff were friendly and happy to order a taxi for us. Overall great value for money and we would definitely stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your kind comments and feedback. We completely agree that staying in one of our apartments offers much better value than a standard hotel room - not just in terms of costs, but also the facilities, the space and the overall experience you get to enjoy. We are delighted that you would definitely stay here again and hope to extend another warm welcome to you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Just had a one night stay with friends in apartment 503 sleeping 6. This was our first visit to The Place but definitely not our last! In fact we've already booked for November to stay 2 nights, 1 night was just not enough! On arrival our apartment was ready early so we were able to check in, leave bags and head out to shop. Our apartment was huge, really well equipped, very clean, everything we could have asked for, very impressed. Returned late afternoon shopped out and decided to have food delivered to the room from the restaurant, so glad we chose that option it was gorgeous. Very good value for money too. Breakfast next morning was equally good, definitely recommend eating here. Staff on reception, in the restaurant at breakfast and room service were excellent. Thank you to all we had a fab time.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you - this is really great feedback to receive. We will pass on your kind comments directly to our team. Delighted that you have already booked to stay with us again - and we look forward to extending another warm welcome to you later this year.
Cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

We booked the 2 bed deluxe apartment which was great for a girly night with 4 of us sharing 2 double beds. Overall the apartment (number 114) was very spacious and plenty of room for us all. We didn't use the bar or restaurant so can't comment on that, the reception staff were pleasant and real bonus to be able to park at the hotel (£9) in a secure car park - although spaces were very tight if you didn't have a small car. I've given it 4/5 but the apartment was starting to look a bit shabby, floor, kitchen units, tableware need some attention. The furniture and bedding etc. all great - but just a lick of paint and repair here and there would have made it 5/5.

Room Tip: Deluxe 2 x Double Room 114. Corner location in the building so very private from the central courty...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It is good to read that you found your apartment spacious and great for your girly night in Manchester. Our secure parking is very popular and we agree that it's a real bonus to be able to park directly at our Aparthotel. We have an ongoing programme of refurbishment to all apartments and thank you for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to stay with us again.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Visited here in a group of 8 from work. Two of us shared two bedroom apartments and all of them were lovely. The hotel looks lovely and staff were nice (felt uncomfortable at one point, when, on my own in the left three female members of staff got in and were talking Polish to each other). The apartments are very spacious and having complimentary fresh milk to have with your tea and coffee was a nice touch. The iPod docking station, DVD player and washer dryer are also great extras you don't normally get when staying at hotels. Breakfast in the morning was nice and if booked the evening before, was only £8. Overall would definitely stay here again with work or with friends

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind recommendation. It's great to read that you found our apartments spacious and you would definitely stay here again with work or with friends. We hope to extend a warm welcome to you again soon.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

This review is a little long but I wanted to give a fair honest opinion of the hotel!
I had my wedding reception here in the Pennie Suite on the 19th April.
In the lead up to the wedding everything was fairly smooth. The wedding coordinator changed due to staff changes and finally the third coordinator was the one to take us through to are wedding day.

* A few issues we had just before the wedding which the hotel never made clear to us that I think are important for people to know. They allocate a set amount of rooms for your guests at a discounted rate. What I was not told - the rooms are mix & match and the hotel picked.This meant I had some deluxe double bedrooms at a much higher price and several large family rooms. I wish they had discussed this with me as some of my guested ended up paying more for the rooms than they should of as some of the 'allocated' rooms had gone. I was even given the wrong room price when I phoned to book a room for my father.(To add this was rectified once I spoke to reception staff). This was hugely important to us as we wanted to have breakfast the next day with all are guest. Subsequently a lot of guests stayed elsewhere.

Myself and my bridesmaids stayed in the penthouse apartment the night before the wedding. I was told on arrival (and not before) that I needed to pay £100 upfront incase of any damage was done to the room. None of my guest were aware of this and I was gutted, all my money was in my partners bank ready to pay DJ/transport etc. They did waive the fee eventually and I explained very clearly to the duty manager that none of my guest were aware of this and I had never done this before in a hotel, normally they take a card number and charge you later.

Arrived in the room the shower was black around the grout at the floor of the tiles. There was a broken glass in the cupboard and the blinds in the kitchen were absolutely filthy as the had place a bin in front and so everything that misses the bin was all over the blinds.
The rest of the room was clean and tidy but these things stick out. The view from the terrace balcony was beautiful though and in a rush to meet family for dinner we left.

That evening we got back along with some guests also staying the night before around 9.30 as we were told we could then decorate the room in preparation for the wedding day. Armed with all the decorations we went down and were told firstly wedding coordinator wasn't in (she had previously emailed to tell me she would be there to help decorate the room.) Then we were told the room was not ready for us to decorate around 10.30 we were told we could go in. NOTHING was near ready for us to decorate. We had paper pom pons to put on the ceiling. I couldn't use the ladders like I had been told as they were in a room were there was a wedding reception taking place.
We could decorate on table and they would copy the design on each table, and then we could come down in the morning and put the pom poms up. The next day being my wedding day.. To say I was mad was an understatement. I was gutted I could not do this in the morning there would just not be enough time. We tried to attach all the pom poms on clear string all in one line so that the could be put up easily the next morning. (they ended up looking awful) In a bid to get things done quick as by this point it was 1 in the morning we cut corners and I was in tears. There were loads of pom poms we couldn't put up, we couldn't do the chairs with ribbons and I had just about had enough.
We went to bed and prayed everything would be ok.
The next day at after breakfast there was an issue with some napkins, I had asked they approx 6 month before the wedding for them to be like bunny ears ( it was easter weekend and there were kinder eggs to go behind them for the kids like an easter egg hunt!) The wedding coordinator a few weeks before the wedding had sent me pictures of the napkins she had done to check they were what I had asked for. They looked great but the coordinator had phone in sick the day of my wedding so none of the staff had no idea what I was talking about. They had not received my update on table numbers and guest changes so the morning of the wedding I spent half an hour at reception trying to get this sorted, I wasn't even angry anymore I was stressed, tired and felt that months of planning had gone out the window.
At around 10 i eventually got back upstairs to my room i now had 2 hours to get dressed, do make up and hair as well as pictures (believe me its not easy on your wedding day!) I cut corners again did my make up whilst having my hair done and tried to feed my 12 week old daughter all at the same time. I rushed to get my dress on didn't get it on properly in a bid to get out the door.

The rest of the day went very smoothly the day of my wedding they could not of done more for me. The toast master (I think it that what his title is) was personable, professional and finally i felt like things would go to plan. I was disappointed seeing the rooms final decorations but only because so much i wanted to do was not finished.
The food was stunning and the saving grace and the reason why I gave average not poor (including some members of staff including the great guy who made 55 napkin bunnies!

With my daughter only being 12 weeks old we were up and down from are room all day getting bottles ready and there was only 1 life working. That day there was another wedding on as well so 2 wedding parties hundreds of rooms and one lift with us on the 7th floor we had no choice put to wait. (13 mins at one point) we ended up using the glass outside lift a lot and walking back around the front of the hotel as it was quicker. I noticed on a review a few months ago that this lift was out of order so this seems to of been an issue for along time and I was confused why this hadn't been fixed quicker?

Overall - The food and most staff were wonderful and the room the night of the wedding had a lovely rose petals flowers and champagne. The day before the wedding felt like I didn't exist to them.
As an added note I would like to say thank you to whichever staff member ran out and bought more kinder eggs for us as we didn't have enough!
I hope this review along as it is! Is helpful to someone.

Room Tip: Higher floors less noise, penthouse views are stunning.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leanne W
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent wedding at The Place Apart hotel.

I am delighted to hear your wedding day was handled so well, the food was wonderful and service on the day went smoothly. As can be seen from our previous reviews we take great pride in delivering excellent special events.

I would like to apologise for the issues you encountered on the night prior to the wedding and these points will be taken into consideration for future weddings. As every request was dealt with quickly and efficiently by my team, the impression left was the event was a success. It is therefore disappointing that these same points have been re-raised on a public forum at a later date.
Wimborne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

If you have the slightest interest in industrial history, or want to self-cater in the heart of Manchester, this is the place to be!

Previously we have always holidayed in rural self-catering accommodation. This time we wanted to stay in the city, but still with the facilities of an English country cottage. The Place gave us all that: secure parking, a spacious apartment, two bathrooms, lounge, separate fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher etc. The decor is functionally stylish – think early Center Parcs – rather than elegant; perhaps not surprising as the place is run by Opal, better known for student accommodation. Service was fine; catering for ourselves, we didn’t make many demands of the staff.

All this in a Grade 2 listed historic warehouse, still with its thick walls, brick arches, cast iron columns, wrought iron girders etc, with an old canal basin on its doorstep and Piccadilly station just round the corner. You are living in a piece of industrial heritage. An amazing piece of restoration. Fantastic.

Downsides? When there is a party downstairs, the noise echoes up the atrium when they open the door. Luckily when we were there they kept the door shut most of the time, so it was entirely tolerable. Oh, and the size of the rather expensive parking spaces may test your manoeuvring skills.

In summary, given the right deal, I would be extremely happy to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andy A
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Really lovely feedback for us all to receive. We share your passion and also love the industrial heritage of our building and striking architectural features that you make reference to. Our on-site car parking is just £9 per night and offers value in terms of convenience, safety and alternative central parking charges. Thank you for your kind comments and we hope to see you the next time you visit Manchester.
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed at The Place on business for 2 nights in May, I was really impressed with the hotel layout and more so how comfort the rooms were. I had a 2 bed duluxe room and everything was spot on. I would recommend and will stay here again. The underground parking was excellent and even though maybe a bit tight if you have a larger car it was one of the better carparks I have used when in Manchester.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Many thanks for your kind recommendation and taking the time to write a review. Pleased to read that you were really impressed and found everything to be 'Spot On'. We look forward to extending a warm welcome and seeing you next time you visit Manchester.