The Place Aparthotel
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
Velvet Hotel(Manchester)
1,257 results
All reviewsapartment hotelthe penthousecentral atriumboth bedroomsliving roomexposed brickworkwashing machineconverted warehousefully equipped kitchenpiccadilly stationone bedroom apartmentunderground parkingthese apartmentswedding venuehen weekendmain bathroomdining table
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 July 2010

We have stayed at this apartmernt hotel many times since it opened & usually in the busy summer season so we had an idea what to expect however, we feel that the standards of care and cleanliness are not as in previous years and the appartments are desperately in need of a refurb as they are tired & grubby. We booked a two beded luxury appartment for 3 nights. Our room looked as though it had just had a quick turn around from the last guests as the dishwasher was still full of their dishes & the bathroom bins had not been emptied~ yuck! We didn't have any dressing gowns etc that you pay a premium for or a welcome pack with milk & biscuits etc and had to keep pestering reception for these things which they did put right but is not what you expect for the price paid. The plynths on some of the kitchen units had fallen off & had just been left, it wouldn't have taken much to repair by the hotel & would make the room look a lot better. Also the units in the kitchen had cooking stains & grime left over from previous occupants ~ the whole place needed a good scrub! Some of the rooms on the first 2 floors look like they have been refurbed but our appartment was on the 6th floor and it looks like the refurb has not arrived here yet so our advice would be to try and get an apartment on the lower levels that have had a refurb. What a shame that it is so run down as in the past we have had lovely rooms of a high standard but we would not stay again or recommend to our friends as we have done in the past and would definately stay in some of the newer hotels all around which are offered at the same price and are brand spanking new. The only way we would ever consider come back is if we knew for sure that all rooms had had a total refurb and were crisp & clean as in previous years ~ What a shame

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank offonourtravels
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2010

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding The Place Apartment Hotel. I was most concerned to hear of the problems you encountered and would like to take this opportunity to apologise.

We will now be carrying out a full review of our housekeeping practices to ensure these issues do not re-occur.

I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay with you further and regain your faith. Please contact me direct at the hotel as we value the feedback of our guests.

Reviewed 27 June 2010

I've written a review of this hotel here before, and back then (1,5 years ago) I liked it a lot (our room was bit untidy then too, but...). Now the room we got was in terrible condition. Didn't want to complain, 'cause we were able to check in early (round 11), and it didn't took me long time to wipe the floors with a wet towel... Then we also noticed that the fire alarm beeped repeatedly, mentioned about that to the staff member at the reception on our way to the city, and they promised to got that fixed. When we got back, the beeping had stopped so we thought that it was fixed. But no. Beeping awaked us after an hour sleep. I though that I'll simply take the batteries out, so it'll stop, but there was no batteries, but somekind of wiring, which I didn't care to touch, I had to call to the reception, and ask for someone to come and fix it. That happended then right away. He who came to fix it took it of the wall and put it in the bedsidetables drawer, but after he went away and we got back in our beds and back to sleep, the beeping started again! At this time I was so furious, that somehow I got the alarm in two parts and managed to take one of the wires of and then finally the beeping stopped! The fire alarm was rest of the week in the drawer, nobody came to do anything about it. But that wasn't all. There's somekind of renovation going on down at the atrium, and we woke up every mornin around seven or eight, clattering, drilling......picture your self! Not what I expect from a vacation... And we were not informed about this when we booked the hotel, or mentioned about it when checking in. It was horrible. And what comes to the hotels "strict no party policy"...hmm... all kinds of hen nights, birtdays and other "meetings" were going on every night (and all night!) through out our stay and we were there for a week! So it was not just weekend... We were all so tired out when we finally yesterday came back home to Finland that we've been sleeping all day... What a summer holiday. We love Manchester, this was our 6th time there and we're absolutely coming back. But the hotel part we have to rethink now.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Caroliina S

We are currently constructing a resident gym area. The workmen arrive on site each day at 9am and leave at 5pm to minimise disturbance to our residents. Unfortunately no noise complaints have been brought to our attention as we would take immediate steps to address this.

Reviewed 10 June 2010

This hotel was fab. Booked in for a night for a trip to Peter Kay and since we were on the train it couldn't have been in a better location to save lugging the cases too far, it's a stone's throw from the station. Not only that, the shops and pubs are not far too.

Free upgrade meant we were given an amazing 2 bed apartment. The style of the apartments is impressive with lots of original features. Thankfully our lounge was facing on to the atrium. There were a few rooms on our floor where the bedrooms faced on to the atrium and I'm not sure how comfortable I would have been with that. As it happens our bedroom looked out on to quite a quiet street which resulted in the best night's sleep I've ever had in a hotel.

We decided there and then that we'd use the hotel again for a weekend break sometime. It would be ideal if there were a few of you and I'm really sold on the whole apartment thing. We didn't eat in the hotel but the staff we did encounter were really friendly.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2010

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your kind comments. We take great pride in the levels of service we offer, it is very gratifying to hear of the positive experiences of our guests and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 June 2010

We booked this apartment as we wanted something a bit special for my birthday weekend and as we were staying for 2 nights the benefits of an apartment over a hotel were appealing.
On arrival first impression were good, they have obviously spent a lot of money on the communial areas. Then you get to your room and everything changes. The furniture looks cheap and dated and the bed is the WORST bed i have ever had the displeaseure of sleeping on (or not sleeping on!).
Normally I do not complain, basically because i'm not very good at it, i cringe and usually feel like i had no right to complain in the first place but after a sleepless night and 6am in the morning i eventually complained about the bed.
Credit to the staff they were really helpful and did move us to another apartment but unfortunately it was no better. Considering they are a 4 star hotel (supposedly luxury apartaments) i would expect half decent beds. After all the basic function of a hotel is a place to sleep while your away from home. We had literally no sleep and it pretty much ruined the whole weekend, as we were just far too tired to enjoy ourselves.
Its a shame really as they are in prime location and as i said before they have spent a lot of money on the presentation of the hotel and the communial areas but the money would of been much better spent on the rooms and decent beds.
Its also really noisy, being the city centre you would think they would have better sound prrofing.
I would definitly not recomment this hotel as it could (like ours) really ruin your trip!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AJMWestMidlands

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the problems you encountered.

I have taken the time to inspect the room in which you stayed and will now be taking the necessary action to ensure these issues do not re-occur.

I will be responding to you directly in the next few days regarding your stay.

Reviewed 26 May 2010

Stayed here a few times, its a conversion from flats to hotel apartments - basically the original idea to sell flats didn't work, maybe because all the apartments face each other and the walls are all floor to ceiling glass so if you have your curtains open about 30 other apartments can see in.
The apartments are generally two bedroom, two bathroom with kitchen and lounge. Location is good.
Now for the dirt: The showers - in one bathroom you turn on the shower and water sprays from the tap fitting all over the room. In the other bathroom its a plastic cubicle, open it and the stnech of mould and damp hits yuo. if you look around the interior edges of the shower cubilce you can see the mould.
I opend the bin in the bathroom and was confronted with used santry towels from the previous occupent, nice. The kitchen laminate floor was water damaged and lifting all over, and the the kitchen cupboards and woodwork was dirty. There was no tea in the room other than fruit tea.
What could be a nice Place is let down by the sloppy cleaning and the unrepaired decor.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank yourekidding
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2010