“Wall to wall dirt”

Ranked #36 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Wall to wall dirt”
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Stayed over the Pride weekend...... complained to reception regarding the filthy condition
of the apartment. and the matter was brought to the attention of the manager..
Dirty cotton bud in bathroom
Hairs on toilet.
Thick dust on surfaces
Tea stains on walls and floors
Dirty sticky stains on floors
unpleasent smell from one of the bathroom.
Ash and stubbed out cigarettes in one of the bedrooms.
We returned to our hotel after couple of hours the ash, smell and dust remained. The manager called round to check and she called someone to try again. They gave me a can of air freshener for the bathroom .... If you want the location try City Inn (no dust) or Malaison (clean) unfortunately The Place is past it sell by date with it dirty rooms cracked, chipped and scuffed paint. And the furniture brought back memories from my student days. (Not Good)

IF THEY CAN'T BE BOTHERED KEEPING THE ROOMS CLEAN WHAT DO THE KITCHENS LOOK LIKE!?!?

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 29 September 2010
Thank you for your review regarding your stay at The Place Hotel in August. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the problems you encountered.

I have spoken at great length to my Head Housekeeper with whom you spoke on the day. She again would like to pass on her apologies, however she does feel that some of the points you have raised were dealt with at that time. Indeed she checked your satisfaction with the action taken.

If you would like to discuss this further please contact me on 0161 7787500.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Was very impressed with the 1-bedroom apartment we stayed in. It was huge with a large living area which included open-plan kitchen and dining area. The HiFi & DVD player was also a nice touch. Could have quite happily stayed here for longer. Also a great location - just a few minutes wander into the city centre - we got a take-away from Chinatown on our way back from shopping. A couple of gripes - the bins in the apartment could have done with a good scrub and £9 for parking was a bit cheeky but overall wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2010
Thank you for your review. It is good to see you enjoyed your stay.

Our car park is secure and much cheaper than the public car parking in Manchester. We do make guests aware of this charge at the booking stage.
Kippford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I was staying on business for seven nights so felt an Apartment would be far better than a simple hotel bedroom, so I opted for 'The Place'. A lovely warehouse conversion which still shows off some of the buildings original structure.

The facilities in the apartment were excellent, and well thought out. The kitchen was fully equipped with cutlery, crockery, pans, cups, glasses, cooker, microwave, dishwasher and washer/dryer, etc.

The sitting room was ideal, as were the bedrooms (I ended up with a two bedroom apartment).

Apart from the well equipped apartment, my plus points would include very good quality towels and all the staff I met were well mannered and helpful.

On the negative, the wooden floors needed a deep clean, not just a daily brush -- you got dirty walking around in bare feet. The bathroom floor was equally tired (tiling was lose) and the grouting around the bath was dirty (as is often the case in hotels).

I had the opportunity to view another of the apartments and I would say it was of the same standard with the same issues.

I would stay at The Place again without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear we met with your expectations on the whole and you will return in the future. I have however inspected the room in which you stayed and the necessary maintenance work has now been carried out.
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Try the apartment rooms. two bathrooms, two bedrooms, a small kitchen and a large sitting room/TV room. Works well with teenage children. near Picadilly station. Shopping. In-hoise restaurant good with family food. Set in old factory done up with palm tree court.

Downside: Washer-drier only washed - but technical staff was there at once to fix problem.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments. I was glad to see we dealt with the repair to your washing machince efficiently and you enjoyed your stay.
Cheshire
Reviewed 2 September 2010

We have stayed at The Place four times now and it is fair to say each time our say has been fab. Clean, well maintained, friendly, spacious. The only complaint i could make is that on two occassions we have had 'neighbours' keeping us up. This visit it was until 5.20 in the morning. We were there during Manchester Pride though so i suppose we should have expected it and it was not the hotels fault. I was disappointed that the reception was not decorated for Pride, as it is usually. They usually go to town on the decos but this time it was only a few balloons. Did wonder if management had changed.

Would definately reccommend this to friends.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank T C
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2010
Thanks for your kind review, and feedback about your experiences at the hotel. I am sorry to hear that you experienced issues with your neighbours during your stay. We do operate a no party policy, as well as a 24 hour reception to ensure this is enforced. Obviosuly we understand that large city-wide events like Manchester Pride will have guests wanting to celebrate, and we don't want to discourage them from this - however we do try to balance it with the needs of other hotel guests and ensure that wherever possible disturbances are kept to a minimum.

I am glad your overall experience at the hotel was a positive one however, and I do hope we can welcome you back at the hotel next year, along with our usual Pride decorations!
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Overall this hotel has been a disappointment, luckily we're only staying for one sleepless night. Every twenty minutes or so the smoke alarm beeps which woke me up at about 4:30 and the rooms are very stuffy. The last thing you need after a 7 hour flight.

The lamps on the bedside table don't appear to have a switch anywhere to turn them on. I'm wondering if they are ornamental?

And then there's the bath tap. While it looks nice and swanky you almost need a degree in engineering to work it out. The lever function to use the shower head seems to be damaged, it doesn't stay up and the water keeps going back to the bath tap. A bath would be nice but the water pressure is fairly weak and quite frankly I couldn't be bothered waiting for the bath to fill up. In the end I had to have my partner hold the lever up so I could use the shower head. A dismal experience.

There are scuff marks on the walls, the skirting boards are chipped, definitely not a 4 star accommodation at all. Overall the attention to detail seems pretty poor, which is a shame because this place seems to have a lot of potential.

The kitchen area was clean and the living area was spacious. I loved the funky brickwork ceilings and despite the incessant beeping going on from the smoke alarm it's fairly quiet. The staff at the counter were friendly as well.

We had to haul our luggage down the stairs because the lift mechanism was out of order. No offer of help from the staff who weren't busy at all.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Rugby
Reviewed 31 August 2010

The hotel is convienly located next to train station & very close to the city centre & canal street. The apartment was huge with living room, bedroom, bathroom & kitchen with all the mod cons. The food is good & staff are very polite.
I would definetly stop here again; the cleanliness could be improved & the bed wasn't that comfortable, but overall I was impressed. We have a good deal which was £85 for the room for one night with breakfast; booked it through lowcostholidays.com

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2010
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear you find the size of the apartment so impressive. As you know each room has a minimum of one bedroom, a bathroom, hall and lounge / dining area.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.