“Excellent Wedding Venue”

Ranked #43 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent Wedding Venue”
Reviewed 19 January 2011

We held our wedding ceremony and reception at The Place and had a fantastic day. Firstly it is situated near to Piccadilly train station so was very handy for guests arriving by train/tram. The ceremony was held in the Atrium which has a water feature and palm trees so a bit quirkier than the sort of hotel room where you would normally hold a wedding ceremony, but suited us! It made for some interesting wedding photographs too. Samantha was our contact at the hotel and from beginning to end she was fantastic, always had a smile on her face and nothing was too much trouble. Samantha was also present on the day to ensure the ceremony ran smoothly and to offer reassurance!
The food for the wedding breakfast was excellent, all served by friendly staff - special mention to George who acted as toastmaster and was there to oversee everything ran smoothly during the meal, a true professional. The wedding breakfast and evening function were held in the large function room so there was plenty of room for our guests (about 115 in the day plus another 70 in the evening). The dancefloor and bar area were a good size too.
We stayed in the penthouse suite which is on the 7th floor and is on 2 levels it was huge and has great views over the city. Many other guests stayed overnight and overall were impressed by the size and layout of the apartments (there was an issue to do with a strange smell in one of the guests rooms but this was dealt with efficiently).
The costs for the wedding were very reasonable and you'd be hard pushed to find better value for money in the city centre. Many guests commented on how reasonable the bar prices were considering it was the centre of town.
All of the staff we met on the day and whilst we were organising the wedding were always really pleasant and helpful.
We would recommend you visit this venue if you are thinking of holding your wedding reception in Manchester City centre. It was the perfect venue for our special day!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2011
Thank you for your excellent review. Sam, George and the rest of the team are delighted to hear you enjoyed the day so much and the passion and dedication they so clearly illustrate is appreciated.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 18 January 2011

We got married at The Place Apartment Hotel on 13th Nov and what can I say....it was amazing!
We had been previously let down by our ’dream’ venue so in many ways The Place had a lot to live up to.
We had 120 guests in the day for the ceremony and wedding breakfast and an extra 80 for the evening. Our ceremony was in the beautiful atrium which was decorated to our theme with purple up lighters on the palm trees, candles (fake as church candles aren’t allowed due to health and safety) and red carpet. This was topped off by a fantastic sax player recommended by the venue for only £250! Bargain compared to the prices I had been quoted elsewhere.
Positives
Nothing was too much effort for Abbie the wedding co-ordinator. She was on the end of the phone/email at all times and never once made me feel like a demanding bride (even when I must have emailed her about 12 times in one day!)
The venue is beautiful, food was amazing, the accommodation was cool and the drinks were reasonable yet the thing that made the day run perfectly and without a hitch was the service and attention to detail that The Place gave us. Our previous venue were charging £500 extra for up to 3 meetings with a wedding co-ordinator in the lead up to your wedding, yet at The Place this was done by Abbie for no extra charge and I must have had about 40 conversations and as many meetings as I wanted or felt I needed. The suppliers that The Place used were second to none, although I was free to find my own if I wished without adding big mark up’s on. I had VERY particular ideas about what I wanted which could have been a pain for the poor wedding co-ordinator but instead of making me feel like I was being difficult she took me very seriously and once sent me an email of about dozens of different types of purple candle holder until we could find the perfect one for my theme (I’m sure you feel very sorry for my husband right now Lol)
George even made us 120 individual purple cocktails (kir, blue bols and prossecco layered) based on what we liked and the colour theme of the wedding. It looked absolutely fab and cost less than most other venues charge for a glass of cava! George made sure the wedding breakfast went without a hitch and I afterwards found out from a guest that when they had requested an alternative meal (she is pregnant and couldn’t eat shellfish although hadn’t stated this before hand) it was replaced straight away without question. You may say this should have been a given, but I have been to a wedding before where the waiters have made a fuss about it and said it should have been stated beforehand.
One of the things that most guests commented on also was the fact that everything was in one place (we had the ceremony and reception there) and as it was Winter it meant people could relax and enjoy the day without worrying about the cold and wind dishevelling them! Reduced room rates were also great with the added bonus that as they are apartments they have a kitchen so guests staying at the hotel could have a glass off bubbly in their room beforehand. It also meant people could have a relaxing breakfast in their own rooms without having to pay hotel prices for a breakfast – although they are also good value. Hubby and I (still can’t get used to saying that) went to Sainsbury’s and got a bottle of champers and croissants and smoked salmon to enjoy in the room by ourselves. We personally didn’t want to have breakfast in the room where our fab wedding reception had been as we felt it would take away from our final memory of the room.
One of the things very important to me was that ours was the only wedding happening in the hotel at the same time as ours. This was something that our previous (DOUBLE THE PRICE) venue didn’t offer. The last thing I wanted was to walk into another bride on the day. It’s your day and the last thing you want is a comparison! The Place is a very large building and it felt like we had the run of it. I didn’t see a single person that wasn’t from our party all day!

Negatives
My only criticism is that behind the registrars table was a green fire escape sign. This was meant to be covered up but was obviously forgotten about and so when pictures came back of us signing the register there was this annoying sign in the background! (pernickety I know but this shows you just how great this place is that the only thing I found to complain about was a fire escape sign!) Fortunately our photographer was able to erase these out of the professional pics, it’s just a shame they are in the guests pictures.
If you are getting married in the atrium it is suggested that if you are having guests stay over then they have the rooms coming off the atrium. This way whilst the ceremony is taking place all of the blinds can be lowered so you can’t see into any of the rooms or people standing at their windows watching. All of my guests stayed here but unfortunately none of the blinds were closed. In hind sight I wasn’t sure if I/the wedding party were meant to have instructed people to close their blinds of whether the venue were to do it but either way you can see into the room behind the picture of us signing the register (these pictures won’t be going up!) This wasn’t the venues fault but it would have been great if it had been spotted beforehand.
On the whole I cannot fault this venue....my only complaint is that the day went sooooo fast!
If you are considering this venue for your wedding I would get in there quickly...it’s a beautiful hidden gem that has a personal touch and great value for money.

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank MrsElcliffo
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I have past on your comments to Abbie and the rest of the team. It is great to hear you positive comments and can only inspire us to raise our standards further.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2011

How lucky were we that our daughter and fiance chose this hotel for their wedding.Whilst most of the planning organising was done by them (we just had to pay!) we had a few meetings with the wedding coordinator - Abbie. What a bundle of positive can do enthusiasm that girl is!
Abbie and the hotel did everything they could not only to make the day special but to make the day exactly as the happy couple wanted it
The day itself ran like clockwork, and it was no suprise that Abbie was in attendance from early til late. The food was exceptional, the wines excellent and bar prices reasonable.
You will be able to see the facilities from photos or visiting the venue you cant see service, all I can say is that we couldnt have expected any better from anyone, reception, bar, waitresses etc
As far as prices were concerned we thought it was a steal and kept thinking they had missed items off or we misunderstood something. I honestly would not have been surprised if the total package had been 3 times what is was
My only complaint would be the vegetarian option for the evening buffet, somehow the kitchen was not aware that it was to be provided - to be fair they tried to make something quickly to suit the handful of vegetarian guests but to be honest it was poor
Please put the Place on your shortlist of hotels to visit if you are planning a wedding. You will be absolutely delighted !

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Longclough
Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear we managed your daughter's wedding so well and at such excellent value! Abbie and the rest of the team involved take great pride in the service delivery and feedback such as this only inspires them to keep exceeding expectations.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2011

I had the misfortune of staying here for 3 nights from 27th Dec, with my partner and 2 young children. Never again!!
We were kept awake every night by shouting, screeching and loud music which seemed to be coming from the bar area, as well as from apartments on the lower levels. We rang reception every night, but they didn't seem to take any action as the noise carried on. We spoke to the manager after the second night, who assured us that any noise happening the next night would be dealt with promptly by reception staff. This definitely didn't happen, and we were awake all night listening to very bad, drunken singing and chanting. (Apparently it was a wedding reception!) At checkout, we refused to pay the full price and the manager gave us the 3rd night free. We were not particularly happy with this, but felt it was better than nothing.
We also felt that the apartment was basic rather than luxury, and quite dirty.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Hop10
I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the problems you encountered. Unfortunately over the Christmas and New Year period Manchester is filled with more revellers than is the norm. Although as a hotel we take stringent measures to minimse disturbances, occassionally it can take longer to calm the festivities.

If you would like to discuss your stay further please contact me on 0161 7787500.

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments.
Merseyside
Reviewed 31 December 2010

We have stayed in other luxury 4* apartments before and we booked this expecting it to be a similar contemporary, luxury 4* apartment/hotel. The reality is that although the location is great, reception/bar areas clean and the staff helpful, we found the actual hotel apartment/rooms are basic and in need of significant refurbishment. in particular the bathroom needs seriously updating. On arrival, the toilet was dirty and there was no toilet roll suplied. The furniture in the lounge area was uncomfortable and the bedroom and bed were very tiny. The carpets and wooden floors were in serious need of a good cleaning. The whole apartment reminded me of student accomodation.
On the day of departure we returned from breakfast at 10.45 to find that the keycard would not allow us back into the apartment to collect our luggage and we had to ask the cleaner to let us back into the apartment.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our public areas and found my team helpful.

I would however like to apologise for the the shortfalls in housekeeping you encountered. I have investigated the issues thoroughly and this oversight in our normal standards will be rectifed to ensure we improve in future.
Cumbria, England
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Very good value for a family or large group. Reception very friendly and spacious accommodation was well equipped and clean. Mattresses were a little uncomfortable but overall very pleased with this hotel and would certainly consider staying here again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and found it good value. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 December 2010

Stayed at The Place on our annual pre-Christmas night away (23/12/10). We regularly visit Manchester and have stayed in a number of hotels and apartment hotels. The Place is one of the best to date.
OK so the apartment could do with a bit of a spruce up, but that in no way detracted from our visit. We booked into one of the delux 2 bed apartments. It was very spacious, well equiped and comfy. Noise was not an issue and all the staff we encountered were very friendly.
All in all we enjoyed our stay and will certainly consider going back there again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family