“Good service and a tasty meal”
Review of Montpellier's - CLOSED

Montpellier's
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Tacos & Tequila!! El Taquero is Manchester first Taqueria. Located in the heart of the Northern Quarter. Vibrant, fresh and Authentic.
Reviewed 22 November 2013

A friend organised this for a group of 6-8 of us to meet up for a meal and a chat. Having read the reviews I was a little concerned. However the service we received was excellent and all of us thought the food was good. It was hot, well cooked and tasty. 4 people had the early bird menu and 2 of us had chosen from the a la carte. The vegetarian option on the Early Bird Menu was deemed a success. Staff visited the table regularly to ensure we had all we needed.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Persuaded a friend of mine to go with me. Initially he had not fancied Montpellier, but we had a deal of £10.95 for two courses and a glass of wine. this seemed an inexpensive way to assess the new restaurant.
We both started with the pate board. The chefs chicken liver pate was rich and creamy, sadly it was so lightly seasoned it lacked the wow it coud have.
For a main course I had chicken, chorizo, bean casserole with pommes dauphinois. Both excellent and served in an enamel saucepan on a wooden board. The other main course seemed to come from a different kitchen. Lamb tagine with spicy cous cous. The lamb tagine was actually very good, or would have been if it was hot.On a cold autumn evening virtually cold tagine did not cut it. The spicy cous cous was a solid ball of cous cous more akin to sticky rice. For "plain" it was bland, for spiced it was disastrousIf it had been mine it would have been sent back. My companion prefers not to make a scene.
Like I said a meal of two halves. I would go back based on what I had my fellow diner would not.
A shame really. The atmosphere and service were good. Just let down by an inconsistent kitchen. For one of us good and the other appalling.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Came in here on a Friday night at around 9 for dinner - it was busy but not crazily so. We tried to order drinks at the bar but were told its table service - waited ages to order and then ages again for our two drinks to come.
The problem was though the food - I had a BLT with chips and the only think I could eat was my sandwich filling :-( The chips were cold and pretty much raw inside - convinced they are just frozen oven chips. The bread I ordered was "French artisan" but genuinely it was fried bread.
The staff were friendly but didn't seem overly competent and the interior/atmosphere was really nice but this place could and should be so much better given its location and the prices it charges.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We popped in last Saturday early evening for a drink, bar staff smiling and attentive with quick service. We sat in one the booths and watched as the bar filled up. Although we didn't eat, the menu looked good and people around us looked to enjoy their choices. Great atmosphere with a chilled feel, will be back to sample the food.......

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Had wanted to try this place for a while since reading some good reviews online. Bit disappointed with the reality. Ordered bottle of prosecco and the lady pouring it into my glass spilled it. Then ordered 3 cocktails (after being told there was no Baileys which I originally wanted) and 2 came about 10 mins later but the third took forever to arrive. The barman seemed to acknowledge that we'd waited a long time and offered shots but these never materialised. I raised this with him but he kind of just shrugged. Wouldn't go back.

Craig D, Owner at Montpellier's, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Hi Shalini,

Firstly let me extend my sincerest apologies on behalf of the team here at Montpellier's regarding the service you received during your visit.

Being a new business we know how important first impressions are and are disappointed that on this occasion we have fallen short of your expectations and indeed our own.

I would also like to thank you for your review as we believe it is our customers opinions, good and bad that help us to improve our customer experience for the future.

While your first impression cannot be changed, i would like to put across to you the importance i place on rectifying any issues regarding service and drinks preparation going forward and hope that you return to witness first hand the hard work we are putting in to this.

Regards,