“Gold medal hotel: top accommodation, location and service”
Review of Princess St. Hotel

Princess St. Hotel
Ranked #18 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Yes, I was totally impressed by the Arora. Room 406 was spacious, attractively furnished, clean and very comfortable. The mattress was just perfect. The tea/coffee facilities were just right after a long journey. The bathroom was large and sparkling. Breakfast was superior. I felt that the quality of the accommodation was considerably higher than I might have expected the tariff that I paid. But what was even better was the consistently high standard of service. Everyone with whom I had contact -- the doorman, the day and night reception staff, the breakfast room staff and the cleaners -- was helpful, cheerful and welcoming. The Arora's location, close to the Art Gallery and other major tourist attractions, was just right for me. It is right in the centre, though, of a rather gritty big city, and I really appreciated the attention paid to guest security. At the time of my stay, guests only received a limited amount of free wifi, which was a bit disappointing, but the connections were fast and additional time was well priced by the standards of some other hotels of this quality.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank CanberraSteve38
Martin J, General Manager at Princess St. Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your kind comments on our hotel and service it is most rewarding for the team that their efforts do not go unnoticed.

Martin Jones

Write a ReviewReviews (2,760)

Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

Staff made you feel welcoming, warm, friendly and all in professional manner. I was so surprised when I went to the room and I found birthday banners and the cutest elephant ever! The location was excellent to were we went. Want to say thank you for making my stay comfortable and enjoyable, thank you for the housekeepers for the big effort.

• Stayed: August 2013
Martin J, General Manager at Princess St. Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear Feline friend,

Thanks for the great review i am delighted the team made it extra special for you and that you had a "purr-fect" stay.

Kinfd regards

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Difficult to spot as Arora hotel sign is very discrete , had to drive down Princess St 3 times before I spotted it ,which given Manchester's one way system is not good news, neither of my passengers having been much help!!!

However spirits were raised by positive approach of doorman . Reception efficient and polite and no problems.

Doorman showed us how to work the card key for lift.

First impressions of room very good, grandson was impressed as he had a double bed to sleep in. Disappointed that no tea making facilities were available in the room as after driving up from Worcester and visiting Chill Factori we were in need of a cuppa. Shortly after starting to unpack doorman rang through to say I needed to come down quickly as I had put ticket from meter wrong way round and traffic warden was potentially going to book me . Got down in time and kept warden happy !!! However this did expose the slowness of the lifts in coming upto the floor.

Bathroom well appointed with the usual bits and pieces.

Beds comfortable. Though easy to operate it was a bit difficult to adjust temperature to the right level over time. We had room at back of hotel and beware dustman /equivalent arrives about 6 a.m.

Breakfast good selection and hot.

Chambermaid did a good job.and room was spick and span after we had been out and returned.

Check out efficient and polite .

Hotel has arrangement with near by car park to get a cheap overnight rate , receptionist explained how it worked on arrival and that if you were going to be in and out quickly then cheaper to pay at the car park but that for overnight stays cheaper to use the deal which we did.

I think staff got the 5 stars for the hotel. ( will do separate review for Restaurant )

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mark666

Dear Mark

Thank you for taking time to write a review your feedback is extremely important to us; it was nice to hear that we managed to save you from a parking ticket and that you enjoyed your stay. I must say i have not found the lifts to be slow but you may have to wait a couple of minutes at busy times. For reference for your next stay the tea and coffee are on the shelf below the television.We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

I spend half the year travelling and like cool, interesting, trendy, but efficient hotels. The Arora wasn't for me. In many ways it's fine; for me it would be 2.5 stars, but for the friendliness of some staff that just bumps the review up to three.

I wanted to begin this review with the good news that they've clearly been reading Tripadvisor and started giving free Wifi. I had to phone the front desk but they did actually give me a code for free access. Sadly, it stopped working pretty quickly, saying I now had to pay. Oh well...

After a long journey from eastern Europe, I reached this "modern" hotel to find there's no step-free access. I had to lug a very heavy suitcase up lots of steps. I was given my room key: guard this with your life - you can't move throughout this hotel without it. You need the key for the lift, the gym (that they didn't tell me about), the bar (that they didn't tell me about, though it's keyless access from the street) and so on. In the UK there are some supermarkets (Sainbsbury/Tesco) where you need to pay for a trolley and others that are higher class (Waitrose) where you don't. Somehow the aura of Waitrose must stop people stealing trolleys. Likewise, there are good hotels where you don't need keys to wander around because the ambience of the hotel (and watchful staff) keep it that way. Others need (apparently lots of) keys to just get down a corridor.

In my room I noticed several things. The first was the dominating alarm cord beside the bed, as though I was an infirm octaginarian about to cop it any minute. I've never seen this in a hotel. The first thing you notice in the bathroom is another alarm cord for the old and infirm. You start to think this is a little odd. Perhaps people do come here to expire? That looked the case given the blood-style stain on the carpet in front of my door. Perhaps someone had a heart attack, desperate to escape, and it ended there (badly)?

After a long journey to Manchester, I decided to have a shower but the hot water knob wasn't actually attached. I should have asked to move room, but starving and tired after 24 hours travelling I wasn't thinking straight so I went out for dinner, telling reception on the way out that the knob in the shower wasn't attached and needed fixing.

Two hours later I returned. Some wag had simply placed the broken knob back over the shower tap, without doing anything whatsoever to repair it. Down six floors to reception to tell them and ask to change room for a shower that worked. Reluctantly they moved me. The new room still had stains on the carpet, but they weren't as bad. The next morning I discovered that the shower control in the new room didn't work either, but I couldn't be bothered to move rooms again having already unpacked. Cold showers for three days...

In some ways the place was adequate. The room was decent size, there was a TV and a safe (though the display didn't work so you had to hope you started out with the right number). But there was nothing whatsoever that was cool, trendy, interesting or fun about it. The Arora appeared purely functional, and I resented every minute in the room. If you like a Jury's Inn, then this is for you. I write this review because I like boutique, arty, interesting (but still business-like and efficient) hotels and use Tripadvisor to try to find them. This was a rare occasion it let me down.

The location was pretty good. If you want to be in the heart of Manchester and don't much care where you're staying, this place might be fine. A year earlier I found myself in Manchester and stayed in The Midland. If I return, I'd go there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Keith_the_writer
Martin J, General Manager at Princess St. Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear Keith,

Thank you for leaving such a detailed if not somewhat poetic review however for the sake of clarity for other readers I would like to address some of your comments.

I am greatly surprised that in this day and age you think that security of our guests is not important. To have one key to access your room and all the guest only areas of the hotel and more importantly to keep those who shouldn’t out.

Whilst the main entrance is accessed up some steps we do have a porter on duty at all times to assist guests with luggage and we do have lift access to our lobby from our secondary entrance a few yards away. I can only apologise if the porter was not there to assist you and I can only assume that he was helping another guest.

We do give a proportion of free internet access within the hotel and unlimited free access in our restaurant and bar. This is a company standard however I will pass on your comments to our head office.

The shower actually worked perfectly but the control knob had somehow come loose, (had this been reported to us prior we would have taken the room out of service) as we did not have any spares in stock the knob was replaced as it did not impair the function of the shower. A new control was ordered and has now been replaced.

I would like to apologise for the small stain on the carpet by the entrance this was caused by a contractor whilst sanitising the air-conditioning unit above the door and a replacement carpet has been ordered.

Due to some last minute extensions with a number of guests you were given a disabled access room and as we take the safety and wellbeing of these particular clients these rooms are fitted with emergency call cords lets hope that one day you do not need to use them, as a seasoned traveller myself I have come across these in numerous hotels around the world.

I hope this addresses the points raised but should you wish to discuss further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

A lovely hotel with very friendly professional staff. Very close to Manchester Picadilly station (walked with suitcase and massive rucksack) and central shopping. The rooms are beautifully clean and warm. The restaurant downstairs offered a very good choice at breakfast, and also had top dinners! I would definitely stay again! There is also a gym with a decent amount of gear, although not a large area. I didn't get to use it, but did check it out on arrival incase I got the urge!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank kylie w
Martin J, General Manager at Princess St. Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Hi Kylie from Australia,

Thanks for the super review of the hotel we are delighted you enjoyed your stay and the food in our restaurant.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Location was perfect, close to metrolink and in walking distance (15 minutes) of shopping streets. China town with wonderful food and gay village with nightlife three minutes away. Happy to stay here again, cheap and very nice! Negative: one of the maids turned off AC when making up the room, and it was hot. But the room cooled fast. And we didn't have breakfast (expensive, £10 per person) here so we don't know the quality of this. But plenty of pubs with good breakfast for almost half the cost closeby.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Magni M
Martin J, General Manager at Princess St. Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Dear Magni M

Thank you for your lovely comments about our location and hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Its a funny story but we got off the train asked for directions . When your told its 10mins down the road it is . We were told wrong directions by 3 police men ,2 ladies and then put on the right way thanks to two specials . We were welcomed and lovely welcome it was . We were given a map with directions on it by the lovely receptionist. We went to our double room . So clean tidy and I can tell you so happy . We rested and changed as we were told there was happy hour in the bar and cocktails . Now that is a must try . The bar staff so friendly and helpful and asked how are journey was . Lol . We explained about a 10min walked turned into a 1 and a half hour walk around Manchester. We asked about a greek restaurant rozafa omg try it lovely lively . Must try , we got lost again lol yep only 3 women from Shropshire could go the wrong way . Everyone is so friendly and helpful . The staff were I know its their job but you can see they were happy . I will go again and I will recommend this hotel to friends . There was 4 of us before but a friend couldn't come due to little ones being ill.

• Stayed: July 2013
Martin J, General Manager at Princess St. Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Dear Hodges71,

Thanks for your super review, I overheard part of your tale when you arrived at the hotel, I am delighted that the team looked after you once you managed to find your way here.
I look forward to welcoming you and your friends on your next adventure to Manchester.