“Excellent stay in this centrally located luxury hotel”

Arora Hotel Manchester
Ranked #20 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Newbury
“Excellent stay in this centrally located luxury hotel”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We just returned after a 2 night stay with the family in a superior room which was more than big enough for the 4 of us. The staff were very helpful and despite there being no onsite parking the multi-storey Q Park was very handy and reasonably priced for its location.

The breakfast was excellent and included the a la carte menu so fresh food was always available if the buffet extensive enough.

The gym was very small and only included a treadmill and cycling machine but I suppose by most other hotels standards it was pretty similar.

I would not hesitate in going back to the Arora with the family and can recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank tallphilc
Martin J, General Manager at Arora Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear tallphilc,

Thank you for taking time to write a review we are delighted you enjoyed your stay in one of our large double double rooms and the breakfast in the restaurant and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Just for clarity for other readers whilst our fitness room is compact we do have two treadmills an exercise bike, a cross trainer, exercise mats and some free weights.

General Managere

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Me and my boyfriend really enjoyed our stay here!

Rooms were clean & very cosy! Bed was the comfiest bed I ever slept in. Bathroom was nice it had fitted speakers so you could listen to the tv whilst in the bath/shower.

The staff were really helpful on where to go in Manchester.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Martin J, General Manager at Arora Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Hi Clnx

Thanks for the great review we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in town.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Great central location. Staff friendly, but not overly so. Rooms very clean and comfortable with tea making facilities. Shower head fell off on one occasion and shower not very powerful. Need to upgrade to free wifi, only half an hour free per stay- not ideal for business travelers

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Emkins

Thank you for taking time to write a review your feedback is extremely important to us.

Canberra
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Yes, I was totally impressed by the Arora. Room 406 was spacious, attractively furnished, clean and very comfortable. The mattress was just perfect. The tea/coffee facilities were just right after a long journey. The bathroom was large and sparkling. Breakfast was superior. I felt that the quality of the accommodation was considerably higher than I might have expected the tariff that I paid. But what was even better was the consistently high standard of service. Everyone with whom I had contact -- the doorman, the day and night reception staff, the breakfast room staff and the cleaners -- was helpful, cheerful and welcoming. The Arora's location, close to the Art Gallery and other major tourist attractions, was just right for me. It is right in the centre, though, of a rather gritty big city, and I really appreciated the attention paid to guest security. At the time of my stay, guests only received a limited amount of free wifi, which was a bit disappointing, but the connections were fast and additional time was well priced by the standards of some other hotels of this quality.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank CanberraSteve38
Dear Steve,

Thank you for your kind comments on our hotel and service it is most rewarding for the team that their efforts do not go unnoticed.

Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

Staff made you feel welcoming, warm, friendly and all in professional manner. I was so surprised when I went to the room and I found birthday banners and the cutest elephant ever! The location was excellent to were we went. Want to say thank you for making my stay comfortable and enjoyable, thank you for the housekeepers for the big effort.

• Stayed August 2013
Martin J, General Manager at Arora Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Feline friend,

Thanks for the great review i am delighted the team made it extra special for you and that you had a "purr-fect" stay.

Kinfd regards

worcs,england
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Difficult to spot as Arora hotel sign is very discrete , had to drive down Princess St 3 times before I spotted it ,which given Manchester's one way system is not good news, neither of my passengers having been much help!!!

However spirits were raised by positive approach of doorman . Reception efficient and polite and no problems.

Doorman showed us how to work the card key for lift.

First impressions of room very good, grandson was impressed as he had a double bed to sleep in. Disappointed that no tea making facilities were available in the room as after driving up from Worcester and visiting Chill Factori we were in need of a cuppa. Shortly after starting to unpack doorman rang through to say I needed to come down quickly as I had put ticket from meter wrong way round and traffic warden was potentially going to book me . Got down in time and kept warden happy !!! However this did expose the slowness of the lifts in coming upto the floor.

Bathroom well appointed with the usual bits and pieces.

Beds comfortable. Though easy to operate it was a bit difficult to adjust temperature to the right level over time. We had room at back of hotel and beware dustman /equivalent arrives about 6 a.m.

Breakfast good selection and hot.

Chambermaid did a good job.and room was spick and span after we had been out and returned.

Check out efficient and polite .

Hotel has arrangement with near by car park to get a cheap overnight rate , receptionist explained how it worked on arrival and that if you were going to be in and out quickly then cheaper to pay at the car park but that for overnight stays cheaper to use the deal which we did.

I think staff got the 5 stars for the hotel. ( will do separate review for Restaurant )

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mark666
Dear Mark

Thank you for taking time to write a review your feedback is extremely important to us; it was nice to hear that we managed to save you from a parking ticket and that you enjoyed your stay. I must say i have not found the lifts to be slow but you may have to wait a couple of minutes at busy times. For reference for your next stay the tea and coffee are on the shelf below the television.We look forward to welcoming you again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I spend half the year travelling and like cool, interesting, trendy, but efficient hotels. The Arora wasn't for me. In many ways it's fine; for me it would be 2.5 stars, but for the friendliness of some staff that just bumps the review up to three.

I wanted to begin this review with the good news that they've clearly been reading Tripadvisor and started giving free Wifi. I had to phone the front desk but they did actually give me a code for free access. Sadly, it stopped working pretty quickly, saying I now had to pay. Oh well...

After a long journey from eastern Europe, I reached this "modern" hotel to find there's no step-free access. I had to lug a very heavy suitcase up lots of steps. I was given my room key: guard this with your life - you can't move throughout this hotel without it. You need the key for the lift, the gym (that they didn't tell me about), the bar (that they didn't tell me about, though it's keyless access from the street) and so on. In the UK there are some supermarkets (Sainbsbury/Tesco) where you need to pay for a trolley and others that are higher class (Waitrose) where you don't. Somehow the aura of Waitrose must stop people stealing trolleys. Likewise, there are good hotels where you don't need keys to wander around because the ambience of the hotel (and watchful staff) keep it that way. Others need (apparently lots of) keys to just get down a corridor.

In my room I noticed several things. The first was the dominating alarm cord beside the bed, as though I was an infirm octaginarian about to cop it any minute. I've never seen this in a hotel. The first thing you notice in the bathroom is another alarm cord for the old and infirm. You start to think this is a little odd. Perhaps people do come here to expire? That looked the case given the blood-style stain on the carpet in front of my door. Perhaps someone had a heart attack, desperate to escape, and it ended there (badly)?

After a long journey to Manchester, I decided to have a shower but the hot water knob wasn't actually attached. I should have asked to move room, but starving and tired after 24 hours travelling I wasn't thinking straight so I went out for dinner, telling reception on the way out that the knob in the shower wasn't attached and needed fixing.

Two hours later I returned. Some wag had simply placed the broken knob back over the shower tap, without doing anything whatsoever to repair it. Down six floors to reception to tell them and ask to change room for a shower that worked. Reluctantly they moved me. The new room still had stains on the carpet, but they weren't as bad. The next morning I discovered that the shower control in the new room didn't work either, but I couldn't be bothered to move rooms again having already unpacked. Cold showers for three days...

In some ways the place was adequate. The room was decent size, there was a TV and a safe (though the display didn't work so you had to hope you started out with the right number). But there was nothing whatsoever that was cool, trendy, interesting or fun about it. The Arora appeared purely functional, and I resented every minute in the room. If you like a Jury's Inn, then this is for you. I write this review because I like boutique, arty, interesting (but still business-like and efficient) hotels and use Tripadvisor to try to find them. This was a rare occasion it let me down.

The location was pretty good. If you want to be in the heart of Manchester and don't much care where you're staying, this place might be fine. A year earlier I found myself in Manchester and stayed in The Midland. If I return, I'd go there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Keith_the_writer
Martin J, General Manager at Arora Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Keith,

Thank you for leaving such a detailed if not somewhat poetic review however for the sake of clarity for other readers I would like to address some of your comments.

I am greatly surprised that in this day and age you think that security of our guests is not important. To have one key to access your room and all the guest only areas of the hotel and more importantly to keep those who shouldn’t out.

Whilst the main entrance is accessed up some steps we do have a porter on duty at all times to assist guests with luggage and we do have lift access to our lobby from our secondary entrance a few yards away. I can only apologise if the porter was not there to assist you and I can only assume that he was helping another guest.

We do give a proportion of free internet access within the hotel and unlimited free access in our restaurant and bar. This is a company standard however I will pass on your comments to our head office.

The shower actually worked perfectly but the control knob had somehow come loose, (had this been reported to us prior we would have taken the room out of service) as we did not have any spares in stock the knob was replaced as it did not impair the function of the shower. A new control was ordered and has now been replaced.

I would like to apologise for the small stain on the carpet by the entrance this was caused by a contractor whilst sanitising the air-conditioning unit above the door and a replacement carpet has been ordered.

Due to some last minute extensions with a number of guests you were given a disabled access room and as we take the safety and wellbeing of these particular clients these rooms are fitted with emergency call cords lets hope that one day you do not need to use them, as a seasoned traveller myself I have come across these in numerous hotels around the world.

I hope this addresses the points raised but should you wish to discuss further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.