“disappointing stay”

Ranked #20 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“disappointing stay”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

this hotel looks to have high hopes from the entrance however does not live up to expectations. Rooms are very basic, meals on offer even more so. If you are relying on room service after a hard day's work then think again. Bar food is basic, not a good range and not a comfortable feeling for a lone traveller.
There are far better hotels at the same rates within 2 mins of this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ibif
Martin J, General Manager at Arora Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear ibif,

Thank you for taking time to write a review your feedback is extremely important to us; i was most suprised to read your comments, we offer a full range of hot and cold dishes on both our room service and bar menus i am sorry that you didnt find anything to your taste.

Martin Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed for three nights in Aug which was Manchester pride weekend. When I first booked this hotel the distance from the village was the main point for me as getting round at pride can be a bit tricky.

Firstly we could park right in front of the hotel. Made checking our bags from the car very painless. We arrived very in the morning even though our room wasnt ready the lady who let us check in took our bags and kept them in a luggage room. The hotel was clean cool and very modern looking. Small seating area at recpetion was clean and tied into the decor very well.

Once we finally checked into our room we were greeted by a very lovely man with a big trolley and took all our bags and extra bags (shoes amongst other stuff!) up for us. Which meant we could concentrate on finding our room. On arriving into our room I found it to be very spacious light and cool. Air con was working and quiet. Out bathroom and room was Immaculate. Bathroom was large enough to accommodate two people at one time but being a party of three girls we took turns. Now the shower needs to mentioned on its own. There is nothing worse then having a shower with no power. This shower was not only powerful it was the reason we all left our room late on going out for a night it was amazing!!

As for the staff and other areas of the hotel such as the bar they all were very helpful and cheerful and couldn't do enough for you. I can not fault this hotel at all apart from the having to pay for wifi. For the price of the room it should be free simple. You can't even use your data because the signal is very hard to keep.

Apart from that our stay here was out standing and made our weekend very pleasurable.

Many thanks to all that we spoke to and dealt with.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Christine8130
Martin J, General Manager at Arora Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Hi Christine,

Thank you for taking time to write a review we are delighted you enjoyed your stay, it is nice to hear the team went the extra mile to ensure you enjoyed your weekend.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Stayed here for 2 night for the August Bank Holiday (Sat - Monday). First night was really good, was able to check in 4 hours early at 10am which was a real Bonus! The room was clean, Modern and smelt good. The room was on the ground floor (which the receptionist did warn me about) and was fine. I was a bit worried about noise, but i think the room backed onto an office car park, or the staff car park. The only time I ever heard noise was when the staff went out for a Cigarette, which for a City Centre is good! The only thing I did find strange was no spare pillows in the room, I cant remember the last time I stayed in a hotel that didn't do this! I asked for 2 more at reception, and they brought them up to the room about 20 mins later.

The second night.... not so good. We arrived back at the room at about 11pm, and went straight to sleep, at 03:54 the fire alarm sounded, I have never heard anything so loud in my life! Obviously scared the life out of me and my partner when being woken by that! I know that fire alarms are sensitive for a number of reasons, and I know they are there for guest safety (I Worked in hotels for 5 year's as a receptionist) but I still think its just common courtesy to apologise to your guests for the 'Disruption' upon checkout. This wasn't the case. Because of this I more than likely wont be returning here, if I had have had an apology I more then likely would, but its not left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

I mean, how much effort does an apology cost from a member of staff, with a full on customer service role?

Good hotel Arora, but not so good customer service.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Martin J, General Manager at Arora Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Fluffy_pet

Thank you for taking time to write a review your feedback is extremely important to us. I am pleased to hear that you found the hotel to your liking, but most disappointed that you experienced a rare incident whereby you found yourself to be disturbed by other guests falsely activating the fire alarm, please be assured that incidents such as you endured are very rare here at the Arora.
I am most surprised the team did not offer you an apology and I will address this with the Front of House Manager. On behalf of the team and the hotel please accept my personal apologies for any shortcomings.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

manchester
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Lovely clean modern hotel, very friendly staff, fantastic food with a fantastic cocktail bar ;-)

Defiantly would stay again as the location is perfect for that special day/night in Manchester.
The bathroom was great for getting ready with nice big mirror, speakers on the wall to play music to get you in the party mood.

• Stayed August 2013
Martin J, General Manager at Arora Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Hi Nicola,

Thanks for the great review we are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We have never previously stayed in a central Manchester before so I looked thought the reviews to see what hotel was likely to be our best bet and plumped for the Arora. This was a special occasion we were celebrating and enjoyed a meal and a brilliant concert at the Arena before returning to the hotel. I specifically asked for a quiet room at the far end of a corridor. Whilst the room located on the first floor was quite adequate and indeed, toward the end of a corridor, it was far from quiet. We were woken at some ungodly hour with the garbage men emptying bins and skips for what seemed like hours. We hardly slept all night and were just glad to leave the hotel and get home for a good rest. This was not a cheap place to stay and whilst I understand that rubbish in city centres has to be cleared, I am sure something could be done to improve the soundproofing. We are unlikely to say here unless earplugs are issued. The saving grace for this place was the very helpful reception staff.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Freakster,

Thank you for taking time to write a review your feedback is extremely important to us. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good nights sleep, all of our rooms are sound proofed and benefit from double glazing, our refuse collections are timed to comply with current legislation and to minimise disturbance to our guests, normally it only takes a few minutes to collect and complaints are rarely received. However thank you for bringing this to my attention I will investigate further.

Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I regularly stay at this hotel on business. I have been travelling to Manchester on business for 16 years and have probably stayed at most of the large hotels. I would rate this amongst the best for rooms, quality of service, location and friendliness of staff. It's adjacent to China Town and a short walk 10 minutes or so from Manchester Piccadilly station. Parking in the adjacent Q Park is safe and secure. Canal Street for night life is not too far away.
Some of the rooms are themed, my first stay was in the Cliff Richard room but you don't have to listen to his music.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Martin J, General Manager at Arora Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Dear Brian,

Thank you for your great feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Manchester.

PS We won’t tell Sir Cliff !

Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Great location, superb HUGE rooms - clean and comfortable....very slight problem with shower temperature which was sorted within an hour of mentioning it at reception. Great breakfast. Not bad room service either.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank EileenEdinburgh
Martin J, General Manager at Arora Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear Eileen

Thank you for taking time to write a review we are delighted you enjoyed your stay and your breakfast in our restaurant.