“"Customer is always right" but not at this hotel”

Arora Hotel Manchester
Ranked #19 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Dublin, Ireland
“"Customer is always right" but not at this hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

When booking this hotel a special request was made for 3 separate beds in a triple room. It was obvious that this request was never read. When I put it to the night manager "What if I asked for a cot?....would you have read this?" He had no reply for me. If special requests are not possible at least have the courtesy to let the customer know ahead of time, so we don't have to sit in a lobby for 90 mins on our phones trying to find an alternative. Had to leave the hotel for another. Worst customer service I've come across. Very disappointing. Won't be back

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank sfeeney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
cheshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel recently and was extremely pleased with the room given to me.
On returning to the room following an enjoyable night out in Manchester it was unfortunately now freezing and this did not improve, even in the morning.
The real problem I encountered was when I told them the reception the next day. They were very dismissive and just said I should have rang the reception during the night. No apology.
I then emailed the manager regarding this but no reply.
I feel you can always judge a hotel by how it responds to complaints, this one failed miserably.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank eat59
Martin J, General Manager at Arora Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that the heating in your room was not operating correctly on the night of your stay if you had informed us at once we could have ensured you had a restful nights sleep, I am even more concerned that your comments were met without an apology as we pride ourselves on our customer service. With regard to myself I always respond by return to any issues raised and would like to reassure you that I did not receive your email or I would have made immediate contact.

I do hope this inconvenience will not deter you from visiting us in the future

General Manager.
Cumbria, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Arora for one night and it was the first time we'd stayed there. It definitely won't be the last. Very friendly and helpful staff on the desk. The room was fantastic, comfortable beds and very clean. Went to the 24 bar & grill for cocktails which were 2for1 between 5pm & 7pm (nice!!) breakfast maybe slightly expensive, but I've paid more for a lot less, breakfast was lovely, and staff in the restaurant in the morning were most helpful and cheerful. Really can't fault this hotel, I don't usually write reviews but I enjoyed my stay here that much I felt I had to! Will look forward to my next visit.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Martin J, General Manager at Arora Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Maddiefoley,

Thank you for taking time to write a review we are delighted you enjoyed your stay and the cocktails in 24 Bar & Grill.

Minehead, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed for a long weekend to watch MU playing at home. Ideal location in the centre of Manchester, easy access to the Metro. The room was clean and well equipped but boringly dull only one picture on the wall. The set residents menu was the same for all 4 nights! We only had it one night, it was good but certainly would have struggled for 2 nights. Breakfast usual buffet style nothing outstanding. Reception staff were very helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Martin J, General Manager at Arora Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Koolant

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay but a little surprised you found our rooms dull but it would be unusual if we all like the same things. Our restaurant, 24 Bar & Grill offers a full ala carte menu as well as daily specials, a bar menu and for our residents a reduced price 2 or 3 course menu which includes a glass of wine at £20.95 for 3 courses, admittedly the menu only changes monthly but I believe we still offer a wide choice. Our unlimited breakfast buffet at only £10.00 if pre-booked offers a great choice of freshly prepared hot and cold choices along with a selection of dishes from eggs Benedict to kippers which are cooked to order.

New Orleans, LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

This is by far by first choice for stays in Manchester. The website often runs specials that are very convenient. This stay, I used the 3 nights, 30% off, which brings the price into my budget. Unfortunately, on this trip, I had to change dates. There was quite a mix up with the charges. Part was my fault, because I did not double check my credit card statements, and part with the reservations desk not taking the payment. Nonetheless, this only affected my stay marginally.

The front desk personnel are always very friendly and helpful. Myself and a few other guests were wanting to watch the American Super Bowl, but the bar/restaurant closes early on Sunday. We ended up watching it in the lobby, and the staff were so very accommodating.

The rooms, as always, were clean and modern. Plenty of room, with windows that open, and often a nice view of the city. The walls are thick so that I never hear any other guests. The bathrooms are well accommodated with designer products and rather large by normal standards.

The lines are always clean and fluffed. The beds are comfortable, that I relish the idea of making it to Manchester, where I holiday and sleep in late, flipping through the channels and just luxuriating in a big, comfortable bed. It's usually just my stomach grumbling for breakfast that drags me out of bed. The buffet breakfast is quite good. I do not actually like the cost of it. More times than not, I go around the corner to a café and get a hot sandwich and tea for a 1/3 of the price. But, the hotel restaurant is convenient and the food is good.

Arora Manchester is an excellent hotel for any type of trip. The front desk staff are very helpful and accessible. The hotel itself is very nice, and in a very good location. Just around the corner is st peters tram which will take you to any part of the city. I make it to Manchester 3 or 4 times a year, and always try to match my travel dates with price specials from this hotel.

Room Tip: I almost always get the room next to the elevators, and I have to say that I do not hear them that o...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Hi tdk

Thanks for the glowing feedback, delighted the team looked after you for the Super Bowl, we look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

If you are looking for a luxurious hotel, the Arora is unlikely for you. On the over hand, if you want a clean, spacious room with a comfortable bed, a good sized bathroom with nice products and friendly staff, it is a winner.

The 24 Bar & Grill downstairs also holds its own, providing a decent burger and laying on a good breakfast with quality produce - the eggs and black pudding were excellent. The gym is small, but there is enough equipment available for a decent workout.

As other reviewers mention, the hotel is conveniently located both to piccadilly station (10 minute walk) and the Arndale shopping centre (8 minute walk), providing a good centre location to explore from. Would return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Luke

Thank you for taking time to write a review we are delighted you enjoyed your stay and your experience in our bar and restaurant.

Sligo, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Worst customer service I have ever experienced. There was a small problem with my booking that could have been very easily solved but staff left me and my friends sitting in the reception area for an hour and a half. With no other choice, as it was nearly midnight, we had to book into a different hotel rather than be left on the side of the road. Would not recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank PJ K
Dear Guest,

A harsh and unfair review considering the facts.

1. We have never advertised nor have any rooms with 3 beds.
2. Your confirmation clearly states a room with 2 double beds.
3. We offered to put a roll away bed in the room which you declined.
4. We offered a complementary second room for the first night so the issue could be revisited the following morning, which you declined.

Hardly poor customer service.