“Superb staff”

Ranked #20 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Superb staff”
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Every year for a few days in December my friends and I spend a few days in Manchester to visit the Christmas markets and shop. We have stayed at some more luxurious hotels than the Arora but the staff at the Arora are second to none. All were extremely courteous, helpful and friendly. The rooms we stayed in were spacious and clean. Given that the hotel is in the city the views from the rooms were not good, but that wasn't a problem for us. We only ate breakfast at the hotel but the selection offered was good and again the staff were attentive. If you choose to stay here or not a must is the Obsidian cocktail bar, Adam makes the BEST cocktails. It was the staff that enhanced our stay at this hotel - well done!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2010

I stayed with a friend on a friday night in November for a girls night out. The room was large enough for us to get ready happily and comfortably. Extra towels and bath robes were provided for the extra nice touch. We also ordered room service which was very tasty and served quickly.

We had a lovely nights sleep and were reluctant to get up in the morning but gladly did so for a nice relaxed breakfast in the restaurant.

Reception staff were really friendly and only too happy to look after our bags when we went shopping.

I would recommend the hotel to anyone who wants to be close to all the bars, restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2010

The Arora is a perfectly pleasant and comfortable hotel that offers a quiet space to be right in the heart of Manchester. All that and we got a good deal so there is definitely more good than bad about this place. That said, what makes a hotel is often the little details and a couple of them were wrong here. First up I was impressed to find speakers in the bathroom and thought I would use them to listen to the radio whilst having a morning bath. I turned on the TV and found the list of radio channels playable through the set only to discover that these had no relation to what you actually got. I would have liked Radio 4 or 2 or even 3 but all there was was some really horrible tinny rock station.

This was only mildly irritating but the bathroom incident the night before was worse. I was taking a shower and reached for what I assumed to be a clean towel from the rack only to discover it was bloodstained and it wasn't my blood or my wife's! Had I been on a murder mystery weekend this might have made sense. Anyway, I'm glad I had my eyes open! The next day we got an apology and a partial refund for that but I was not impressed.

All this said I'm pretty sure the bloodied towel was a freak incident at this hotel. It is a clean place generally and if your sinuses aren't driven mad by air-conditioning (mine tend to be) you'll probably have a nice stay here.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
SimonDavisGM, General Manager at Arora Hotel Manchester, responded to this review, 9 December 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I am writing as the General Manager of the Arora Manchester to sincerely apologise for the inconsistencies you experienced during your stay. There is no doubt that we fell short of your expectations and I hope that I can answer some of your queries here.

I was delighted to read of your kind comments regarding our fantastic location and that in general we offered a good value for money experience. Customer service and quality of product is an area that we are extremely passionate about and work at daily to improve to ensure we are consistently exceeding our guest’s expectations.

I was concerned to note that you had also encountered a number of frustrations during your stay and do assure you that your experiences were certainly not typical and that I have investigated these today.

Our Housekeeping standards ensure that all rooms are prepared with freshly laundered linen and all rooms are inspected by a Housekeeping Supervisor daily to ensure we consistently meet our high cleanliness standards. I am sorry that on this occasion despite our checks the staining to the towel you found remained undetected and offer a personal re assurance that this is indeed an isolated incident. We would and will always remove any damaged bedding / toweling as soon as they are discovered and were disappointed that we missed the opportunity to discover this prior to your occupation of the room.

The list of radio channels available through the in room menu was as you correctly pointed out not in line with the stations available. We appreciate your comments highlighting this and have made contact with our television link provider to amend the details of the TV listing as soon as possible.

As mentioned previously we very much pride ourselves on our high standards of customer service and product quality and as you will be aware from Trip Advisor we in general offer an excellent experience.

Finally I would like to thank you again for your comments. Feedback is invaluable and something that we gain in many forms. I hope that I have managed to address your areas of concern satisfactorily and if I can persuade you to return to the hotel please do contact me directly at simondavis@arorainternational.com and I will be delighted to assist.

Yours sincerely

Simon Davis
Morecambe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2010

We stayed 2 nights at the Manchester Arora and had a brilliant time. I had upgraded the room and although I didn't expect a Cliff Richard suite, it was very nice nonetheless. I can't say I am a fan, although I don't mind him, however this room would put you off if you don't like him!! The room was spacious, very clean and the bed was one of the most biggest and comfortable we have ever slept in. The hotel is modern and of a very high standard and the staff are very polite and efficient. The breakfasts are excellent - good quality food and never running short with constant supplies brought out very frequently. In short, I cannot fault this hotel and would definitely book again. On a final note, George who assisted me with booking champagne on our arrival and assisting us with our bags on arrival and departure is an extremely personable chap and an asset to this hotel! Janet Ratcliffe.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Jersey
Reviewed 3 December 2010

I have stayed in many hotels, for business and pleasure, but this was probably the best service I have ever had in a hotel ever. The hotel is perfectly placed only a few minutes walk from the main shopping area and plenty of restaurants and bars, though the food in the hotel is very good. Obsidian, the hotel bar, is fabulous, if a little pricey ( but which hotel bar isnt!).
We used the conference facilities within the hotel and the level of service was simply superb.
Everything went very smoothly and Anthony, who looked after us all day, anticipated our every need, effortlessly. The bedrooms are extremely comfortable and beautifully maintained. If I had to pick one fault it would be that there wasn.t free wifi throughout the hotel.
I will certainly use this hotel again...when travelling personally or on business. I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone. All the staff we came across over our 2 night stay were friendly, cheerful and seemed to be very happy in their work; a rare find indeed.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2010

What a great hotel to stay at. We were checked in early and showin to the room. The staff were always on hand to help with a great service. The room was big enough for us all to move around in (as there were four of us) beds & pillows were really comfy. Great location every thing within easy walking distance. We were even showin where to catch bus to trafford centre. The staff at the Arora are a credit to the hotel as these people go out of there way to help your stay at the hotel enjoyable. Would defo recommend this hotel to anyone and will be staying there again in the future, Thank you staff at the Arora

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2010

The Arora Manchester is a hidden gem, located in the heart of the city, 5 min walk from Piccadilly train station. The staff were very friendly and always there to help you. Our room was spacious, lovely marble bathroom with a fantasic shower. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple