“Four us decided with try the tasting menu and it's was good but not amazing.”
Review of Manchester House

Manchester House
Ranked #35 of 2,279 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
“Four us decided with try the tasting menu and it's was good but not amazing.”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Two couples, one Saturday night and firstly it's a beautifully presented venue with a surprisingly great outdoor space.

We were received (rather like going to a London VC house) downstairs and then welcomed by name upstairs which is a lovely touch (honestly)!

Our table was large and spacious which is refreshing and the open plan warehouse style is relaxing - you don't feel like you are at chefs table (which was a concern having never liked that experience) but you can see what happening in the kitchen.

Sam looked after us and he was great! The menu was nice, but our three issues were (1) they ran out of the Barolo we were drinking as the red, (2) the portion sizes were just a touch too small so at the end we were all still quite hungry and lastly and most importantly we needed/wanted a tad more drama from the dishes. Perhaps we should have had the tasting menu as well.

All in all good experience. Great venue. Try it you might like it.

1 Thank CheshireTraveller80

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Great Birthday treat superb food”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We went to Aiden Byrnes impressive new restaurant on the Saturday and had the 13 course taster menu. All 4 of us were wowed by the artistry and taste and texture of some truly unique dishes. Highly recommend a visit!

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Simon S
“Don't confuse the 12th & 2nd floor! ”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I completely agree with the points about lack luster service in the bar on the 12th floor but if you really want pre dinner drinks there are far better bars in Manchester to do so. The Aiden Byrne inspired restaurant on the 2nd floor however is a completely different story, it's fantastic! We had the 6 course lunch menu on with a decent bottle of wine with came to £170 including tip. The service was fantastic and the food even better. You can certainly eat here without spending a fortune. All in all it's well worth a visit, ignore the poor reviews & go make your own mind up.

2 Thank mbrenn80
Northwich, United Kingdom
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

On June 10th I took my friend to Manchester House for lunch as a surprise for her 60th Birthday. I was looking for an extra special treat and we were not disappointed. She loved every minute. We are not regular fine diners but I am so pleased I booked Manchester House as we experienced excellent food, wine and service from start to finish. From the pre booking enquiries to follow up contact I felt the staff cared and took time and trouble to make the visit special. I had booked the 6 course taster menu with wine flight. Yes, it is expensive but then a restaurant striving for Michelin stars is going to be because of the quality on offer. When you see the number of staff both in the kitchen areas and in the restaurant plus experience the quality of the food and wine you can see where the money goes. The Head waiter talked us through every course and wine. They took time to wish Gill Happy Birthday and also presented her with a Birthday card. Unfortunately Aiden was not there on the day we visited but as promised they sent through a signed menu for Gill as a momento of her Birthday (and I got one too!!). The whole ambience is informal which wont suit everyone dining at this level. My only slight criticism was that I was surprised to see the staff wearing jeans albeit with jackets but then I am old fashioned and don't like the current trend of jeans for every occasion!! The decor is modern yet reflects the history of the area and the outside terrace was a welcome seating area to drink coffee after our meal. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and it was exactly right in terms of portions for us. I am not sure however, that the main course portions would suit everyone.......I know my husband would have been very disappointed with the two small pieces of lamb if it had been presented to him as a main course ........but by the end of 6 courses even he wouldn't want to have had more!
All the staff were lovely and had clearly had excellent training in talking to customers and taking a pride in their roles. I really hope Aiden and his team earn the Michelin star (s) he has been striving for. Thank you to all for making our lunch a very special occassion. We will return!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Anne W
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Taster menu vs al la carte at Manchester house ”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

If I'm paying £200 per head then I do want to feel every detail has been taken care of. Alas this wasn't the case of my recent visit - on arrival for pre dinner drinks the bar staff seemed more interested in themselves than the people who were waiting to be served in a rather hot & stuffy bar, however when we did get someone attention all went well.
Downstairs in the restaurant it was a different situation the waiting staff where friendly and amiable, however in this Michelin starred possible restaurant I would have hoped that they would have been trained to the top level of service to appear that service was faultlessly process however some waiters didn't know what side to serve or collect plates, and lacked skill in any precision service. There was no sommelier and the onus fell on the waiter to know and understand the wines ... Which of course in our instance fell short. Was it as good as Rogans French at the Midland ? Not quite ...,, £200 worth of experience certainly not, but I would return to try the al la carte posh pub grub menu which is more fitting for this restaurant service and food levels.

2 Thank Jacksons022