“Smart retro bowling with US diner meal”

All Star Lanes Manchester
Ranked #152 of 2,356 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Really good friendly service from a genuine American waitress! The food was delicious and great quality. The children's menu was great and plenty to choose from. The bowling lane was very retro/vintage but glossy and smart! I wouldn't normally eat in a bowling alley but this was top class!

Reviewed 15 October 2013

The previous are a little harsh. The venue is new and finding it's feet in Manchester so they probably haven't quite got the ordering right in the past, but as they are settling then things will get better.

We went on a Saturday night for a birthday in a large group. Brilliant service, warm friendly atmosphere and the food was superb. Everything was available and every one of our group commented on how tasty the food was. We didn't bowl but have done s on the opening night. It is quite expensive at £10 a game, but this isn't Mega-bowl and you'll spend that on 2 drinks in most Manchester bars without thinking twice.

Each time I've been there's been a couple of recognisable faces in too, which is good if you're into people spotting. Overall a great, relaxed eating experience and one I would recommend.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I agree with previous writer LauraJManc, although I could correct some of her spelling mistakes.
Popcorn squid a bit measly. Rib eye steak very good, but seriously you should not be getting less than 9/10 for a rib-eye.
No ribs when I went either. Check out the menu online- it's got ribs all over it. Obviously no spare ones.

Then the sucker punch. £10 PER HEAD for ONE game of ten pin bowls. My mates normally have to pick me up off the floor but not so early in the night. Avoid.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Worth a visit. 2 4 1 cocktails between 4 and 7pm. Although we didnt bowl it looks really good. Seating area is nice and it is away from the noise of the bowling.

Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

I visited 5 Star Lanes with a group of 12. I was extremely excited about this place as it is so different to anywhere else in Manchester. However I was deeply disappointed for several reasons. Firstly we were booked in for 7:30pm on a Friday night, remembering that this is an American Diner, they had no ribs!!! Now this may sound miner but Ribs appear on the starter menu and the main menu and yet at their prime time slot they had none!!!! Poor poor poor!!!!!!
Secondly we had 2 vegetarians in our group who both wanted the Veggie Burger and guess what? They had none!!! Again for a Friday night at 7:30pm this is poor!!! I will give the staff their due they were very apologetic and attentive and did everything they could to get them both something they wanted. One of them had a lovely Quinoa dish but the other who is slightly fussy ended up with chips and bread.
My next complaint is the starter, I had popcorn squid which was really tasty but a minute portion, I was left feeling starving and this was echoed in our group!!
Fourthly my main course which was fried chicken with sweet potatoe fries. The fries were tasty but the chicken was dry and bland. This wouldn't have mattered so much but considering this and the starter plus 2 glasses of wine cost me £30 I was not happy!!!!!! If it wasn't for the complimentary vegetables given to the vegetarians for the veggie burger error I would have been left hungry.
When the bill came yet another mistake!!! They had added £30 for 2 half chickens that none of our group had had. They obviously quickly amended this when it was pointed out but my scepticle side says that they were hoping a large group like ours wouldn't notice!!
Not only this they also added £25 as a service charge, which I begrug when I've not had a fantastic experience. I will choose how much and if I want to pay a service charge dependant on the quality!!
After this we were then charged just short of £10 for one game of bowling. If the first game was free we would have definitely played another game, but for that price we were not prepared to pay for 2. They should really offer one free game to anyone that has paid for a meal, and then most people don't mind paying for a second game.
It's no wonder that at 7:30pm until 10:30pm when we left, the place was half empty!!
This is Manchester not London so the prices should reflect that!!!!
My biggest gripe of all is this, after the bill was paid a "comments" card was left for us to complete, because I was so annoyed about the lack of Ribs and veggie burgers that were shown on the menu I left my review along with my email address, hoping for a Managers response. It is now 9 days since my visit and I have still not received an email of apology or any correspondence for me to believe that my feedback card wasn't ripped up by the staff!!
I won't be back and I certainly won't be recommending this place to any friends!!!!!!