“great quirky hotel”

Great John Street Hotel
Ranked #2 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
“great quirky hotel”
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I took my partner here for a birthday surprise last bonfire night, we stayed in the Eclectic Grand suite, whitch was amazingly decorated inside and surprisingly large! i booked the Gluttony Package which includes half a Bottle of Champagne on ice, delectable chocolate truffles, a sumptuous bed strewn with fresh Rose Petals and a Temple Spa Gift Box to take home, we arrived arround 3pm and were imediatly taken to our room, we then had a look around the hotel which is amazing inside and out, the roof terrace tops an amazing hotel off perfectly! The only downfalls were that there is no restaurant within although they do serve an amazing breakfast, and the fact that i had repetadly called them to confirm the roof terrace would be free as it was bonfire nite and we would have liked some romantic drinks there, when we arrived it was pretty much all closed off, bit disappointing but definatly not off putting we'll be back soon!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I have just stayed here for my 30th birthday and I have to say it was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in! Well worth it and it made my birthday extra special. Had a very good nights sleep, it is also one of the quietist hotels I have stayed in. Definitley would stay again :)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah R
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Having recently stayed at Great John Street Hotel I am pleased to say that the hotel met our expectations - and in some respects exceeded them. We had seen a profile of the hotel on some old property show re-run on sky tv (strange way to find out about it but true) and worried that perhaps because the show was old maybe the hotel would have become a little worn around the edges due to use. However, the hotel feels like it has hardly been open - aside from a few bashes to furniture and spillages that previous guests have inconsiderately not cleaned up.

We were pleasantly surprised at the quiet location of the hotel. Having booked a city centre hotel it had crossed our mind that we may be bothered by the usual noises which come from a city. Given that some hotels don't counteract this with double glazing it is always a consideration when booking city centre hotels. However, our entire stay was so peaceful I almost forgot I was in a city.

Our room was gorgeous. We booked the 'cheapest' category of room but it was by no means cheap looking. A lovely big comfortable bed, flat screen TV, mini bar, mezzanine floor with free standing bath and massive power shower, and other furnishings made this hotel feel distinctively high quality. I definitely would not say that the mezzanine floor had any adverse impact upon our stay - I felt that the room had a real homely feel about it. The bath was to die for! Really and truly big enough for two. We forgot bubble bath but the toiletries provided were lovely and suitable to provide a relaxing and decadent bath. Infact decadent is how I would describe my entire experience at this hotel.

We had planned on going out for food but we had had a tiring day so by the time we checked in and plopped down on the bed we decided just to order room service. We are both fussy eaters so opted for the good old fashioned burger and chips and oh yum yum it was super tasty! I also had a crumble dessert and this was equally yummy. Room service menu prices were fine - approx what you'd pay in a restaurant with a tray charge and service charge on top. I was pleased with the value for money in this respect. I do think approx £3.50 for a 200ml bottle of coke out of the min bar is a bit excessive but this is no different to any other hotel and you are paying for the convenience of it rather than the product.

The staff were very efficient and our bell boy was very chatty and friendly as he showed us to our room. If I was being pedantic I would say that the rest of the staff were not overly chatty (we sometimes like a bit of casual banter with reception staff but perhaps we're more likely to get this from a B&B to be fair). However, they were professional and helpful at all times.

Unfortunately we did not experience the roof top bar or jacuzzi because we decided to just make the most of chilling out in the gorgeous room and being generally lazy! However, we will definitely be back and probably book one of the more superior rooms - and this time check out the rest of the hotel's amenities.

Personally I think the value for money is great. At just over £100 we were given a lovely experience which felt sumptuous and relaxing. We have stayed in smaller rooms in the lake district which charge prices of £60 per person per night and upwards. The equivalent of £50 per person per night for far more is definitely worth it.

I really am looking for an excuse to visit manchester again just so I can stay here!

Room Tip: Each room is different apparently so all should be great. The welcome pack suggests that you can as...
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Warm and friendly greeting at reception, staff can't do enough for you. Elegant boutique hotel with lots of character. Breakfast is a mix of buffet for continental part and served for the cooked full English. Highly recommended, best hotel in Manchester by a mile. Similar feel to The Baglioni Hotel in London but 1/4 of the price!

Room Tip: Standard rooms are pretty small, deinately worth paying the extra for a suite
United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I treated my girlfriend to a night here for her birthday and after a friendly check-in, I made my way to the baby grand room on the ground floor, which was beautiful in every way!
A bathtub in the corner of the bedroom and the most comfy bed I have ever slept in.
When we had returned after a meal and a few drinks around the city, we relaxed in the jacuzzi on the top deck with a bottle of champagne and felt like royalty. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. It was the perfect romantic getaway and we will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank John S
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I was due to propose to my girlfriend this was supposed to be one of the best day/nights of my life but turned out to be the worst and ended with my girlfriend in tears, When staying at this hotel i recieved rude,poor & arrogant treatment from a senior manager who came accross as a bully towards customers & their workers which left us devasted

The entire hotel received up the minimum of five powercuts that lasted all through the day/night so we was sat in darkness with no power or ability to use any facilities including taking a shower.My room had cold brown mucky water in the sink,shower & bath and we was left in total darkness with no music,tv, lights....anything... when i asked the manager for help he told me in an uncivilised manner he would fill my bath with a kettle if i was not satisfied.I was handed two candles to use for my girlfriend to get ready for what was supposed to be a special romantic memorable night.We was left devastated.I asked for a refund or to be relocated and the response from the senior manager was beyond dis-belief.I was given a complimentry drink then charged for it!!!

In the end we was not charged for the room but the best part of the stay was leaving.My girlfriend & I have both been left very emotionally upset & hurt by the whole visit.Members of staff promised to bring us back so we could enjoy the real experience but i am yet to hear from anyone just given a false promise.Apart from an email that offers an upgrade if im to stay again.

Maybe you wont be so unlucky as to mine & my girlfriends experience but id guess if you was to book with the hotel you'd be taking a gamble just like i did and sadly I recieved the worst.

However despite the terrible ordeal the rooms are beautiful its just a shame the way customers are treated.

14 Thank mlasisi
flossiek, General Manager at Great John Street Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2011
The satisfaction of our guests is always our number one priority at Great John Street hotel.

I was pleased to read that your first impressions of our hotel prior to the power failure were very positive, having checked in at 16.58pm some 60 minutes or so before the power went down. Similar impressions are usually the feed back we receive from our visiting guests. Regretfully it was not to continue for you.

Many of your comments on your unfortunate experience at Great John Street on the night of Sept 1st due to a mains power interruption in the city Centre are not incorrect nor were they caused with intend by the hotel.

I was in the hotel at the time of the power cut and stood some feet away from you with the hotels Electrical engineer and the contracted Electricity North West duty foreman whilst you expressed your concerns to my my staff and management of the unavailability of mains power to the hotel. As you would expect my priorities were to restore power to the hotel as soon as possible, which was a massive inconvenience both to you and the other 100 plus guests in the hotel at that time.

We were reassured by Electricity North West that the power would soon be restored on several occasions and this was duly passed onto our guests and this is clear from your comments. Unfortunately this proved not to be so as Electricity North West had the power on and off for a few short periods with an eventual 16 hour interruption which proved extremely challenging for all concerned.

The staff and management worked tirelessly for some 18 hours in close to 19th century conditions with no water no phones no lifts no gas no computers no toilets. The hotel was lit in candle light. Electricity runs every facet of a our modern day life, a fact which we were definitely reminded of on September 1st and 2nd.

As you would expect no charges were made to you or other guests for the inconvenience during their stay.

The hotel received £120 automatic compensation from Electricity North West for the 18 hour interruption and I have taken the opportunity to forward a copy of their correspondence to you as proof. Yes £120 as per their contractual agreements laid down by the governing authorities.
Of course I have donated the compensation monies received from Electricity North West to a children’s charity, Children’s with Leukemia as hopefully some good may come of this challenging experience.

We have been very fortunate in that all the other guests, equally inconvenience, seem to have understood that matters were out of our hands as it was a localized City Centre power failure and that we did everything we could, save that of supplying electricity.

I have chronicled below a critical path of the approx. 18 hours of power interruption for clarity starting with the resumption of power.
These are facts that can be checked with Electricity North West should you wish for the avoidance of doubt

Critical path:

At approx. 4pm September 2nd some 22 hours after the first power cut , full power was restored to the hotel.

At approx. 10am September 2nd on the morning after the power cut Electricity North West provided a mobile generator to supply temporary power to the hotel (14 hours after our first request)

At approx. 8pm September 1st Electricity North West engineers repaired the fault but when doing so smelt gas in the vicinity of the ground repair and switch off the power again for safety reason and called British Gas.

At approx. 7.45pm September 1st full power was restored for 15 to 30 min.

At approx. 6.30pm September 1st a Electricity North West duty foreman came to the hotel to explain the problem to both the hotel’s electrical engineer and myself

At approx. 6pm September 1st power failed within the hotel due to external conditions in the City Centre.

I thank you for your comments. They have been taken on board by both my management team and staff who worked diligently through this experience. I am proud of their efforts.

We regret any inconvenience caused both to you and you partner as well as to all our other guests on that evening. This was a first for us at GJS and we are now looking into the possibility of installing a back up generator.

Hotel Owner
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We had THE most wonderful and stunning wedding day at Great John Street Hotel, it was absolutely beautiful even more so than I had imagined and our guests have not stopped raving about it since – they loved the venue, the food, the music and my boss said it was the coolest wedding he had ever been too which I think was a great accolade – the day really did surpass even my expectations and that was all thanks to the GJS staff – they were helpful, friendly, hard working, curteous and took every opportunity they could to make us feel extra special - it truly was spectacular!!!!
Thank You GJS!