“Lovely but overpriced”

Great John Street Hotel
Ranked #2 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Having wanted to stay at this hotel for some time my husband booked a suite for us for my birthday in November. We stayed in the baby grand and paid just over £300 for room only. The room was spacious, clean and very sumptuous but we had a number of problems while there including a broken bath plug and a hairdryer that repeatedly fused although the butler on duty spent considerable time back and forth to deal with these problems and was incredibly patient and helpful. A very minor issue was having a remote control with the batteries sellotaped in which doesn't reflect well on the pricing of the room. We paid for breakfast in the hotel the following morning and was glad we did as it was delicious. The real bugbear of this stay was when I asked what time the roof terrace was accessible until (intending to return for a drink after we'd eaten). We were curtly told by the ?duty manager that the terrace was not open to hotel guests that evening. He did not feel as I did that it would have been appropriate to inform guests by email in advance of this as "it isn't the only thing guests come for" but I disagree with this and if this isn't intended as a hugely attractive selling point for the hotel then perhaps it shouldn't be the lead photograph on the webpage. He also pointed out that it was November and therefore why would people need or want to sit outside? I suppose for the view, the atmosphere and, just because on a non rainy day in Manchester, you can. As it would be unfair to penalise the others because of the abrupt way this incident was managed my service rating reflects the butler service, reception and breakfast staff only . We stayed on the Bonfire weekend and noticed that on other Fridays before and after the room charge was significantly lower so it is possible to get better prices than ours. I would return to the hotel in the future as it is beautiful with lots of character in a great location but would probably only revisit if able to book on the best rate.

Room Tip: There is a fair bit of noise from autograph hunters outside granada studios entrance opposite the ho...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 71louise11
Write a ReviewReviews (1,381)

Reviewed 21 December 2011

Stayed here for one night only on Monday, and had a great stay - if only it was for longer.

The hotel itself is quite stunning - reception is rather small, but once inside the interior is fantastic with a great building complemented by great decor. The rooftop bar / hotub area is really awesome, especially as you can just peak at the rooftops of the Coronation St set below!

Room was really, really unique - We stayed in number 33 and it was a duplex style room with a huge double bed and dressing area on the bottom bit, and upstairs a great bathroom with a huge free standing bath and shower. The entire room must have been 20 feet tall, with one wall almost completely made up of huge windows. Probably the best room I've stayed in, in a UK hotel and I've stayed in quite a few.

Last, but definitely not least - staff are great. Special mention goes to Rebecca on reception who was absolutely fantastic. It was a fantastically warm and thoughtful welcome, and she continued in the same manner later in the day and on check out the following morning.
Katie in the bar was great, and welcomed us into the lounge on arrival, making us feel at home right away. This continued through to breakfast the next morning, where we received another warm welcome.

We'd go back based on the staff alone, but when you throw in the beautiful hotel and great rooms, this has now become 'our' hotel when we stay in Manchester.

Room Tip: Room 33 is awesome.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vinodelaroca
Reviewed 15 December 2011

The rooms are nice on first inspection but for £350 a night room only I don't expect chewing gum stuck on the inside of the window , the Walls are paper thin next door had done all there Christmas shopping and just need wrapping paper this was the conversation at 7am Sunday morning . The staff on several occasions were rude we were told the bar was closed at 3pm and we would have to have a drink in our room everyone else was drinking seems if no table is free you can't drink !!! The breakfast was a joke cold beans raw sausage will not be staying here again total waste of money.

Room Tip: We paid for one of the top rooms and that was bad so the tip is don't stay.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stanleycromo
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We got married here earlier this summer; if you are considering it PLEASE DON'T!
I agree with all of the negative reviews below and have much more to add besides. Sadly what could be a fantastic place is let down for alot of reasons - the arrogance of the staff is appalling in particular Anne Marie and Julie - they look at you like you are lucky to be in their hotel; not that you are putting big business their way in a time when hotels are crying out for wedding business and slashing their prices.

The hotel is purely out to make money; they are not interested in making your day in any way special. They struggle to cater to specific requests and take a long time to respond to your queries. this all adds to alot of stress for any couple planning a wedding.

They react very badly to any critisicm as is apparent from the fact that the manager only ever responds here to bad complaints. I believe this says alot about the hotel.

I have far too many complaints to list here but included are the service; the lead up to the wedding - the co-ordinator made a big mistake with our figures and then asked us for more money?!?!? The hotel is not prepared for weddings in my opinion.

If you want further details please message me. Again I would NOT recommend this hotel and we are both bitterly sorry that we chose to get married here.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
22  Thank newmar2011
flossiek, Owner at Great John Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2012

Dear Reader

Our policy on unruly behavior

Once a guest makes the decision to needlessly verbally and physically abuse a member of our staff when under the influence of alcohol, then they lose the right to be treated as a guest within our establishment. In law we have a duty of care to our employees, which we take very seriously.

Fortunately for our employees, the other 300 plus events that are held at Great John Street Hotel each year pass without incident.

From our point of view it is important that our staff feel that they can work in a safe and non hostile environment which enables them to provide excellent service to our guests.

Reviewed 8 December 2011

I recently had my 40th birthday party here in the roof top lounge and I could not fault a single thing! The food was amazing the band and the DJ (organised by Jenni at the hotel) was fantastic. All of my guests stayed in the hotel, 1st time for all of them and they are all saying "great hotel" would stay again. Thanks to all the hotel staff & particularly Jenni Weisberg for a fantastic weekend!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I recently stayed in this hotel for wedding. Initially all looked well the hotel seemed classy but by the end of our stay we walked away experiencing that it was anything but. Mostly due to the slow service and level of rudeness from staff that neither my wife or myself have experienced in any hotel. The bar service in particular was very slow, another point to note is that no draught is served only bottles. Several time throughout the night I was served over priced warm bottles of beer. I did bring this to staffs attention but got nowhere. The food was nice but again service let this down. One person at our table sent back food as it was cold mine I have to say was not which was a surprise given the time it took to get to our table. We payed extra to upgrade to a bigger room which looked stunning but to our disgust we found the walls were wafer thin and we heard every word and more of the couple in the room next to us. The light in our bathroom was not working we asked twice for this to be fixed but when we returned back to our room at night it was still not working. Checking out the following morning was simply a disaster. There was only one person on reception and we were over an hour checking out. of the small and cramped reception area. Maybe we were unlucky but speaking with other couples at the wedding Im not sure we were.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
16  Thank Deebest
Reviewed 25 November 2011

I stayed here for one night for my friends wedding, it is an amazing little hotel, staff were ever so friendly and the whole hotel is spotlessly clean. The room i stayed in was excellent (21 i think) and it had everything in there that you could wish for, walk in shower, lovely bath, plenty of room and luxury furniture.

Not much more to say really apart from i would highly reccomend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends