“Bliss in hotel form” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“Bliss in hotel form”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

From the moment I walked through the door of Great John Street Hotel I felt I could breathe a sigh of relief. The welcome was so genuine and warm, the process efficient and the atmosphere cosy. I was on a work trip and a delayed train made it all rather a rush so it was great to check in rapidly and have all my questions answered right away. I was struggling with the internet and help was provided and a solution found almost right away.

The quality of everything this hotel offers is exceptional. From the sheets on the bed to the toiletries in the bathroom thought has been given to ensure utmost comfort for the guest. I ordered room service which appeared in a flash and was delicious. I invited my sister to join me for breakfast the next morning and the same warm welcome was extended to her - she wanted to blend 2 items on the menu and this was done without a word of argument. This is one of the things that makes this hotel such a joy to stay in; the staff who are not only friendly but are able to make decisions and take action themselves - none of the usual 'oh I will have to check with the chef / my manager'. I was truly sorry when the time came to check out and return to real life.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

went for a 2 day break after finding the hotel online, we were not disappointed, excellent service and the room was amazing. The staff were very charming and helpful, would definitely recommend having a few cocktails in the bar within walking distance of the best manchester has to offer

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Donaghadee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2012

This must be the best kept secret in Manchester! GJS is a boutique hotel which oozes character from the moment you step through the door and are greeted by the friendly staff to the minute you get to your uniquely styled room. Just off Manchester's Deansgate with plenty of bars and restaurants nearby however the experience is so good you will struggle to venture out. Despite being so close to the bustle of the city centre the hotel is set in a quiet location next door to Granada Studios. Seldom have I stayed in a hotel where every member of staff I met had a smile on there face and were so keen to help. Definitely worth staying here or even a visit for a drink.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

We stayed on a Monday so quiet for starters. Staff in the bar and reception great. Intial impressions were very good, the bar area is comfortable with great fixtures and fittings. The food was absoulty lovely hats off to the chef. Ok so the not so good: The room was dark and way too warm. Your unable to open any of the larger windows (rm 38) and because of the design all the cold air sits in the lounge area and doesnt rise to the elevated bedroom space. The overall feeling was one of being claustrophobic and way to warm. I get why people see this place as very chic but it should really concentrate on the basics like heating and light. wouldnt bother again.

Room Tip: We stayed in rm 38 - wierd set up and not good if you want to have some fresh air. There is an a/c u...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CheadleHulme79
North West England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

So it's hip, the location is excellent, the public areas are beautifully decorated, bedrooms warm and cosy - but not small - it's immaculately clean, everything expected of a boutique hotel - up to now the usual. What makes this hotel special is the service. We checked in on a freezing November night at 2.00am. Cold, weary and fed up after the trip up from London. The night receptionist came out into the street, took our luggage in, sorted the parking machine, checked us in super quickly, gave us an upgraded room and had arranged - as requested - hot chocolate in our room. After the best nights sleep I've had for ages breakfast in our room was wonderful. It's always difficult to pull off but this was hot, fresh and with the best scrambled eggs ever - and I'm really fussy over my scrambled eggs!!! Selfishly I thought long and hard about posting this review as I wanted to keep the hotel a deep dark secret. It's great - go if you get the chance. Oh and the hot tub on the roof can be used 24 hours a day................

• Stayed November 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

I visited the hotel for afternoon tea.It was a surprise 60th birthday,with a mixed age group of female relatives.
The surroundings are salubrious, more millionaires lounge than a hotel, made the birthday girl feel very special.
Attentive staff,unlimited tea and coffee and a good variety of sandwiches and the cakes........mmmmmmm!
We arrived at 2.15 and left at 5.00 feeling relaxed, I could have quite easily put my feet up.
My 2 nd visit and a return at the end of the month, a must for a special occasion.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Altrincham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

This was where my husband and I spent our wedding night. I have been told that I am high maintenance(!) and considering my parents live in a 5* hotel 6 months out of each year I am fairly well versed in luxury accommodation. Taking all of this in to account, I can honestly say that this is the most beautiful hotel we have ever stayed in, every detail was perfect. It was a bit of a crazy night but from what I can remember the staff were lovely and personable. The room was spotlessly clean and the 2 roll top baths in the upstairs mezzanine balcony was just the icing on the cake. We've been married for 9 months now and still talk about this hotel! In fact, we have decided to model our master bedroom in our (yet un-purchased) house on the room we stayed in! Well worth the money, you won't regret staying here!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cassie H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
King Street Townhouse
Roomzzz Manchester City
Roomzzz Manchester City
#6 of 115 in Manchester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,291 reviews

Been to Great John Street Hotel? Share your experiences!