“New Years Eve at GJS” 3 of 5 bubbles

Great John Street Hotel
Ranked #2 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
“New Years Eve at GJS”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

We attended the NYE party at GJS. The hotel is beautiful, informal and comfortable and the concept of "taking the hotel over for the evening" is a nice touch. The BBQ style buffet was excellent. The menu choice was good and the options extensive.

The reason for going to GJS was the NYE party. The event was planned across two floors with an R&B disco downstairs and a live Motown band and disco adjacent to the roof top terrace. For the party to be truly memorable there needed to be another 50 or so people. When the roof top terrace was busy the downstairs disco was empty. The live band sang Motown songs but in a karaoke fashion. I've heard and seen much better.

The midnight countdown was a disappointment. There wasn't really any countdown and nothing was organised or made of it. It would have been I nice touch ( within the ticket price) for the hotel to have offered a celebratory glass of champers with which to welcome in the NY. I'm really pleased we negotiated a reduction on the ticket price before we attended. Equally the same applied to the breakfast. The latter was extensive but expensive if the normal full price of £17 is paid. I was surprised that there was a 10% supplement added to the cost of all drinks. OK, I know it was NYE but it was a little cheeky!!

Equally cheeky was to add £1 to the bill in support of the hotels chosen charity. Obviously the amount is irrelevant but the principle of just adding it with no explanation is wrong. I would have gladly given significantly more to their chosen charity if they'd simply asked. The main question is would we go back? Well, probably if only to see if 2012 was a blip or whether that is NYE at GJS.

In summary:

The Pro's: Bedroom, BBQ, Roof Top Terrace and disco,

The Con's: Lack of atmosphere/not enough people. The programme of events felt a little disorganised

Room Tip: Ensure that you are in a room at the front of the hotel if you decide to leave the party early. Some...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike S
OpsEclectic, General Manager at Great John Street Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Dear Mike S, thank you for your review. I was pleased to read you found our hotel beautiful and that you enjoyed the BBQ, however I am sorry the evening didn’t fully meet your expectations. It is always difficult getting the ticket allocation just right, finding the balance between being able to offer a personal service and packing the venue to create an intense atmosphere. We accept, in retrospect we should have made more tickets available. With regards our 10% service charge, despite signage on menus and at various points close to the bars and tills that this is discretionary, maybe we should make this more obvious. Our £1 charity donation certainly is optional but it appears we have failed to explain this to you on departure, again I apologise. I do hope we have the opportunity to show you that indeed, your experience was “a blip”

Richard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Manchester England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

Our daughter and son-in-law got married at this hotel on 29.12.12 and held the reception on the roof top terrace. What a fantastic venue.
Bronwen the Wedding co-ordinator was efficient and organised from the outset, making sure everything was what they required and was always available for any queries
David, who oversaw the actual days events, including toastmaster duties, was fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble for him or the staff. Everything flowed smoothly without any hassle. Even the 'turning round' of the room from the ceremony to the meal and back again to casual chairs for the evening seemed effortless and was hardly noticeable to our guests.
All the food, from the canapes, breakfast buffet to evening munchies was excellent.
Even thought the weather wasn't wonderful, it managed to stay mainly dry from after the ceremony allowing guests to go on the terrace - heaters kept them warm and when darkness came it looked lovely with two Christmas trees lit up.
The bedrooms which ourselves and several guests stayed in were lovely, very quirky and the breakfast was delicious help yourself with plenty of refill drinks.
The next day, everything that was left from the wedding i.e. flowers, digital photo frames, ipod etc were all put together in a room for our collection.
Our guests all commented on how good the staff were and how lovely the venue was.
If anyone would like to ask any questions please feel free to email

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013 via mobile

Checked inn at 3pm, 2 bags were in the room and the wife's bag out side of the room zip was open. NOT happy..
Breakfast time food was tip top. But asked for a fill up on the coffees and the lady only got one coffee so I had to go back again. To ask for another coffee. There was no brown sauce only red.. The lady said I will go and get you the red.. No sign of the red.. Never came back to me. To say we have or I'm sorry I forgot.. I'm upset because I love the place.. Would I come back no.. Front of house team were really good. And the bar staff were lovely too. The only thing was wrong with the front of house was they said we will give you a call when the room is done... They never.... I'm not a person to moan I promise.. That.. We come Manchester twice a year.. And I would love to move here..

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Penfold1204
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was delighted to read you found our team friendly and accommodating however I am disappointed we failed to deliver on certain aspects of the service we pride ourselves on. I can assure you we welcome your feedback and have reviewed our procedures to ensure the issues you experienced are not repeated.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

Just wanted to let you know that ALL my staff had an amazing night and we will definitely be booking again next year.We have already had a few Christmas Parties but nothing was as enjoyable and well organised as last night.The food was lovely,great music and all your staff were brilliant.

Thankyou also for booking me such a beautiful room.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

My partner and I just spent NYE at GJS for the first time. I have visited previously staying for the night and although I felt it was very expensive, I enjoyed the luxury feel of the hotel, the beautiful rooms and great breakfast. So I decided to try the NYE Celebrations. The food was good, the band was ok a bit disappointing that there was no official countdown. Atmosphere unfortunately not fantastic.
Pro's - lovely and quirky boutique hotel with stunning rooms and elegant bar/public areas
Food is mostly delicious - BBQ style food on offer on NYE which was really tasty and of high quality
Hot Tub on the pretty Rooftop Bar

Now for the Negatives - the hotel automatically add 10% to every drink/food order. When you are already paying extortionate prices like £6.50 for a small glass of red wine this seems excessive! It just seems like at every possible opportunity the hotel are trying to squeeze every last penny from its customers which leaves a bad taste in the mouth when you already paying a lot of money to stay there in the first place. Mini bar is not very inventive and like most hotels very expensive. For a hotel of this calibre I'd expect there to be some complimentary bits and pieces in the room, but other than toiletries there is no complimentary nibbles or water. I'd mentioned it was our anniversary and although acknowledged there was no effort made to add anything complimentary to the room or make it special. On my first visit there was a breakfast menu and I chose the made to order Irish breakfast with white and black pudding which was really tasty. But this time around there was no menu options just a cooked breakfast buffet and no black or white pudding. So limited options but they still charged the same high price of nearly £17 each for the breakfast.
I have stayed in a number of 4 and 5 star hotels and don't mind paying if im getting good value, in fact the saying you get what you pay for is often true. But in this hotel it just seems that they fall so far short from delivering sincere and personalised customer centred service. This is what could make this such a great hotel experience. The hotel itself is classy but the service and atmosphere, although perfectly polite and nice enough,comes across as a little insincere and pretentious. And for what you are paying that's just not good enough. Such a shame as its a lovely hotel aesthetically, but theres just something missing. I honestly thought I was going to be charged to breathe on the premises at one point. And that's not a very good way to make your customer feel. There are just little thoughtful things that the hotel could do to create that level of personalised service that matches the 4 star rating and price tag. And it probably wouldn't cost that much either but would make a huge difference to the customer experience. Can't say I'll be rushing back to stay again unfortunately.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jen362
Thank you for your feedback. It was great to read that you enjoyed most aspects of our hotel during your stay and that you had returned following a great experience previously. I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. With regards the 10% service charge, we have signage up at all bars and on our menus stating this is a discretionary charge, I apologise we had not made this clearer. Our brunch buffet, a “one off” for New Years Day, was offered to cater for those having partied till late and was available till 2pm, the price being in line with other city centre hotels. We do welcome all feedback and if you do return I am confident your experience will be very different.

United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

Good venue for smallish weddings so our choice for 40 day guests and 60ish evening guests. We had the roof top lounge which is a lovely location but be aware if you book your wedding here you'll only be allowed to use this area which can get cramped if the weather is bad outside as the rooftop terrace is unusable. This becomes more apparent when the room is being turned around between the various parts of the day. The hotel does hold multiple weddings on the same day so you'll be specifically told you cannot enter other parts of the hotel on your day, we weren't told this when booking and it was only specifically stated during the final preparations. This means the opportunities for photos in the hotel are limited if the weather is bad. Bronwen who's the hotels wedding planner is ok but seems very focused on getting your money and getting contracts signed (for example the final amount payable and due date were typed in huge yellow font, highlighted in red on the bottom of the final contract, that seemed rather rude.) and only provides the bare minimum when it comes wedding planning. Her main focus is getting the information the hotels needs to meet it's obligations so don't expect much in in the way of advice or help that's above and beyond. The service provided by the entertainment manager Dave who runs the day is exceptional. The day ran like clockwork and nothing was too much trouble. The food was also wonderful and there's plenty of it considering the high standards, all the serving staff were attentive and courteous. The rooms are unique and very luxurious and all the guests that stayed over were pleased. The breakfast that will be provided the next day is not the same as the full paying guests get. It's a buffet style and no better than any other chain hotel breakfast I've had. I do recommend this hotel but just consider the issue around space when booking if you're having more than the numbers quoted above and don't let the "all business with a smile" attitude of Bronwen put you off.

Room Tip: If you feel the need for 2 baths then rooms 30 and 32 have these.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Happycouple744
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with my Wife for a weekend break. The hotel is an old school and has kept with the character of an old school. The bar is very relaxed, the staff are informative, the rooms are spacious and extremely stylish and the location is perfect for a walk into the City Centre. Will definitely return.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
King Street Townhouse
Roomzzz Manchester City
Roomzzz Manchester City
#7 of 115 in Manchester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,291 reviews

Been to Great John Street Hotel? Share your experiences!