“A real gem”

Ranked #2 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Leicester, United Kingdom
“A real gem”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

We have stayed here numerous times and reason being is that its paradise in Manchester! Rooms are fantastic, staff very helpful, mangement very welcoming and proffessional, location ideal, food excellent especially the breakfast wow!. The small details here make this hotel stand out from anything else we have ever stayed in... If you have a special ocassion to celebrate then this hotel is the place, we spent the night before our honeymoon here which was truly amazing!!! Thanks to everyone at GJS See you soon...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We went back to GJS last week as we planned an overnight stay in Manchester. The room was excellent and the service and hospitality of the staff were both great. The breakfast was exceptional and given the opportunity we'll be back soon!! If you are considering a stay over in Manchester you won't go wrong booking a room at this one of the Ecelectic group hotels.

CUMBRIA
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,841 helpful votes
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Stayed here on a Sunday night, been a few times before but then changed to the Lowry. But looking for a place to use regular as the Lowry alternate the price according to demand. The place Iain a great location near to shopping and entertainment but just seems to lack something. The sleep quality is good and rooms very clean. All the staff are pleasant and helpful. Just carnt place a finger on the issue. A Friday or Saturday would be a better night. One thing I would like to suggest - get safes in the rooms, although not here we have had an issue in the past and it gives a better peace of mind when out. May I also add that when I questioned he reception about the lack of safe hey did offer the use of the main safe so well done them.

2 Thank MULCASTER2
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Well what can i say, Sunday was my third time to stay at Great John Street and probably my last. The first time i stayed here with my partner i had a wonderful experience and then from there on it wasn't so good. The second time we stayed was on the 20/04/13 for my partners birthday however, there was a wedding taking place, which i do understand the hotel hold wedding etc. however, the hotel failed to inform me that on this specific date we would be restricted from using such areas and as it was a nice day we were unable to eat outside so therefore had to go to Nandos for dinner (which we wasn't happy about). When we arrived back to the hotel and ordered drinks to be brought to the hot tub the waiters seem to forget, which frustrated me and my partner so we then went to the local Sainsbury's and bought our own alcohol. During our second stay we felt we had paid such a high price for the room and wasn't satisfied with the staff or the hotel in general.

However, we had already booked to come back here the following weekend, but as we were unsatisfied with our second stay we made a decision to cancel the room on the 24th April. My partner then decided to give it another try as we really enjoyed our first stay, so we called the hotel to make sure there was no wedding etc. taking place and then rebooked on the Sunday 28th April for the same day, which we originally had booked, but chose to cancel.

On arriving at the hotel we were greeted by the receptionist and then we went to our room. When we arrived in the room we didn't like the layout in which we then asked if we go be moved to the baby grand layout then is advertised on the website. This was done without any problems, thank you :) From then on our trip slowly become worse.

On our way to the room we noticed a sign in the lift saying the hot tub was out of order, which the hotel failed to inform us once again. As most hotels in Manchester do not have a hot tub this is one of the reason we stay here, for a nice chilled night without having to leave the hotel. I was annoyed that the hotel didn't mention anything, i then went to speak to the receptionist who was so rude! I told her that it was one of the main reasons for my stay to relax and have a chilled night in which she responded that because i had booked the room on the same day the hotel were unable to email me to alert me that the hot tub was not in use as it takes a few days to send the email out ( which is ridiculous) . I then replied that i had previously booked the room before cancelling it and i still didn't receive any email to alert me about the hot tub. She then had no response to that and said she couldn't find my previous cancelation booking. I took it upon myself to find the email of the recent booking to show her, which she then was able to find it on her computer. After finding the booking she then was unable to say why i never received an email about the hot tub and when i asked her why it isn't on the website she replied "we don't have it on the website for obvious reasons" which is?? she then became very patronising telling me she wish she could put some water in it for me and because i paid the sunday rate i was unable to receive anything for the inconvenience. In my opinion regardless if i paid the full rate or the sunday rate all customers to the hotel should be treated equally. If for any reason the hotel are holding a wedding, or any of the facilities are not in use for a specific date all guests should be made AWARE of this not upon arrival, but before their stay.

As this happened it put a mood on the whole night however, me and my partner then went for dinner. ONCE AGAIN we had problems here. It may only seem small, but everything adds up and makes the night pointless. We ordered our food and was then the waiter told us we had a complimentary drink off the receptionist, which to be honest we wasn't even happy about. We then received our food and my partners steak was 'DONE' when he asked for very well done. As i had my food i then had to eat it while his was put back in the oven, which meant we ate at different times. Also, we ordered garlic bread with cheese and was given garlic bread, which they did change for us, but it is so inconvenient. Then the waiter brought the steak to us and forgot to bring the knife and fork so i had to get up and ask for some. Oh and not to mention the whole time we were eating there were annoying little flies flying about.

Overall, i was upset more than anything that i really liked this hotel and on two occasions now it has been a nightmare. The staff were rude and unhelpful and i believe we were treated unfairly.

4 Thank as05222014h
GJSManager, Manager at Great John Street Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Dear guest

I am sorry that your recent experiences haven’t matched up to your first visit at Great John Street.
As testified by previous reviewers on Trip Advisor this is not the experience that our guests are accustomed to receiving.

In answer to the confusion surrounding the hot tub, we have a responsibility to ensure the well being and safety of our guests and regular maintenance and cleaning of our hot tub is within this remit. Unfortunately this means the hot tub at some point of every week is out of use for this purpose. There is reference to this in the automated room confirmation you received and on our website.

With regard to the room type you booked and were allocated, please be assured that the initial room was a Baby Grand Room. GJS Hotel sits within a 100 year old Victorian Schoolhouse and no two rooms are identical as you very often do find in modern purpose built chain hotels. Our description within the bedroom section of our website clearly states that the photos shown are from a selection of Baby Grand Rooms and not specific to any one room. I am very pleased to see the reallocated Baby Grand room was to your satisfaction and you rated the Rooms, Sleep Quality, Cleanliness and Location all as "Excellent" on the trip advisor survey.

I also sincerely apologise that the service of your evening meal was not up to our usual high standards and that you found our team unhelpful on occasion.

Richard
Reviewed 25 April 2013

What can i say Great John Street Hotel, Wow ...... Myself and my Husband stayed here on our wedding day along with 8 other friends and the effort that was made was exceptional. From booking the Hotel (speaking to the lovely Libby Morris who bent over backwards to help , thank you x ) to leaving the next morning every minute we spent here we loved. The rooms (Opus Suite) was outstanding and the personal touches made our day and made us feel so special. The atmosphere in the bar was relaxed and enjoyable and the lovely staff behind the bar bringing over nibbles for us to enjoy whilst sipping the lovely cocktails. Every member of staff were so polite and couldnt do enough. We are still talking about this hotel 3 weeks later and would recommend it to anyone. Thank you Great John Street for making our day that little bit more perfect ! We will definatly be returning !.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I have stayed here numerous times over the last three years and cannot praise this hotel enough to my friends. The staff are excellent, very friendly - We always make a point of over-tipping.
The standard of this Hotels decor is delivered to a high standard and very pleasant on the eye. Our rooms/suites have always been perfect - roll-top baths in room, wonderfully decorated and very clean.
Each time we've stayed here, we felt that we were the only guests!. Fantastic atmosphere in the bar every time, great cocktails too.
The rooftop terrace is an amazing space, not to mention the hot tub!
The last time we stayed, I booked a 'Sunday School' offer and what an offer that was. Its a must ! There was a Wedding happening at the Hotel and we thought nooo. The bubble of Oasis we associated with Great John Street has burst. Thankfully, this assumption was wrong on our part. We still ate wonderful food, drank those great cocktails and still felt that we were the only guests. The staff were still very attentive, we still wanted to over tip and the roof top terrace was sectioned off, still leaving us with the hot tub to wind our evening down.
Well done GJS!
I'm looking forwards to our next night, enjoying your wonderful Hotel

Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I recently attended a wedding celebration in The Playground (overlooking Coronation Street, although I didn't realise it was until the next morning!)
All I can say is WOW ... what a beautiful venue and how memorable the occasion was on every level. The staff were particularly friendly, the food was beautiful and the venue was perfect.
Sadly, we didn't stay overnight, but I certainly would look to do so in the future.
A hidden gem in the middle of Manchester!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends