“great night at great john street......”

Great John Street Hotel
Ranked #2 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Where do i start.....

My girlfriend always wanted to stay here and we lucky enough to spend a night in one of the Eclectric Grand rooms, number 32, which was very chic and contemporary.
The twin roll top baths and the shower/ steam wet room were perfect.

Champagne whilst having a bath was amazing and a real treat, the bed was huge and very luxurious.

The room was a perfect size and very nicely decorated.

The rest of the hotel and dining rooms are amazing, very pretty and a lot of thought has gone into the atmosphere of the hotel, many of the school house features have been kept to give you an idea of the buildings history.

There is a hot tub on the roof terrace which is a great way to end the evening after a few cocktails in the bar.

Breakfast also is a delight, definitely not to be missed.

If you want a great place to stay in Manchester where you will be surrounded by luxury then Great John Street is the place to go.

Room Tip: Eclectric grand rooms have twin baths
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank silver_fox_hodson
There are newer reviews for Great John Street Hotel

Reviewed 14 June 2014

If you are looking to spoil yourself and/or your wife /partner spend a night here. I was treating the mrs to an afternoon in town and although we live a 30 min drive away decided to take all the hassle out of taxis etc and treat ourselves to a little pampering in a city hotel for the night. I saw the hotel had the número uno spot on trip advisor manchester hotels and although some minor bits need sorting I'd say it is right up there for a special occasion. They have done a great job of turning what was an old school into a lovely boutique style hotel, which would be a fabulous venue for a wedding / party. With its roof terrace and minstrel gallery it's a perfect venue. I've been to many venues where rooms are soulless big spaces this is the total opposite. Ok onto the ratings
Service:10/10 the staff were all excellent and very attentive from the front desk to one of the staff in the lift helpful and very pleasant. Room service very quick and nothing too much trouble
Room: 9/10 this would have been a 10 had it not been for a few little bits ( no well lit mirror for ladies to apply make up, the hot tap in the RH sink lose, plug to one of the baths not connected, steam/shower room ceiling need re-dec and a little musty smelling, mugs in room different sizes) you may say the last one is a little picky BUT these things matter and if your number one all these need attention. Ok that's the niggles onto the positives. We stayed in the eclectic grand (room18) and it's stunning, they've done it extremely well, bed beautiful and very comfortable, came compete with rose petals. The room is nice and big and is on split levels with a fabulous luxurious bathroom up a flight of stairs. The bathroom has two huge cast iron free standing baths, his and hers sinks, and a huge shower/steam room all with lovely wooden flooring, bath robes the lot. Nice touches of chocolate brownies and hand made cookies in room on arrival so apart for the small bits of maintenance and practically of mirror I'd say it was one of the best rooms I've ever stayed in.
Food: I'm afraid I'm writing this ahead of breakfast, of which there's some great options, in particular the Irish breakfast, however I'm still full from yesterday so unlikely to be able to review this anyway. We had lunch on the rooftop terrace which was lovely. The weather lovely and warm and the area a great place to spend with friends / family, comfy chairs plenty different sized tables and inside area in case weather turns. Food was standard gastro pub style burgers accompanied by mini deep frying baskets (I'll never understand this) not cheap but for the surroundings, worth it. Only niggle was service a little un attentive as we were hidden behind one of the hedges and wanted another drink but could summon waitress.
All in all a lovely experience and I would recommend this place to anyone.
Well done great john street hotel

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on monday for my birthday treat off my bf, we have stayed before in the baby grand and the room then was first class, this time we stayed in the opus grand and omg it was stunning from when we walked in we were wowed by the room. Lounge area downstairs with bathroom with awesome shower and twin sinks, upstairs to the bedroom on mezzanine and the bath, what can i say, it fits two!!! was also left a little birthday teeat. The lady who checked us in and the one who checked us out were friendly and polite. Thanks for helping make my birthday so speacial. Only downside is the room was awfully hot and only a little window could be opened and the air con was upstairs so didnt help keep us cool in lounge area. Would deffo recommend

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We popped in on the off chance for lunch after our coronation street tour. We had two 8yr old girls and I was unsure if we needed to book.
The staff were lovely, nothing was too much trouble, there was no room inside so they opened up an outside terrace for us.
Ordered the soup and a snack for the girls and it was delicious.
The trouble is I want to go back and stay the night now x

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sandrabuckle
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Excellent!Absolutely beautiful hotel and immaculate.Very clean and comfortable. The staff is very friendly and hospitable! I'm so pleased with our choice!I am sure we'll come back as soon as possible!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014

A piece of heaven. My husband and arrived at 1pm and enjoyed drinks in the library room. At two thirty we were advised that our room was ready. I moved at break-neck speed to see what room we'd been allocated as they are all individually tailored..We'd booked into a Baby Grand but had been upgraded (twice) to a Classical Grand. Absolutely beautiful, and to top it all classic FM was playing Piano Concerto No. 2 (Shostakovich) as we entered the room. WOW. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I'd seen the same room on the website but couldn't afford to stay in it. Separate living room, stairs to a wrought iron gallery with bedroom and bathroom. Huge free standing bath with claw feet and a rain forest walk-in shower. Like a kid in a sweet shop I didn't know what to do next. Ten minutes later we returned to the library room our drinks were where we had left them.People were enjoying afternoon tea (I immediately booked for myself and my daughter) I've always maintained that afternoon tea is about the experience and not just a tripod of sandwiches, cakes and scones. It must be served in opulent surroundings, evocative of the 1930's Gt John St hotel ticked all the boxes, and more.Dragging ourselves away from the library room we were escorted to the rooftop bar. The barmaid even switched on the heater. Beneath a glass roof we flopped onto a massive sofa,with numerous cushions and watched the rain fall on Manchester. A couple arrived and climbed into the hot tub situated behind us We began chatting and while they enjoyed champagne, my husband and I enjoyed wine and beer. £24 for a bottle of red is a reasonable price, given the surroundings, decor and excellent service.

Check out time was Midday (Sunday) but we secured a later check out (1pm) at no additional charge. Faultless, perfect in every way. Customer service at its finest. A hotel to die for...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank stephpem
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I went to the great John street hotel for lunch after doing the Corrie tour at Granada Studios which is opposite.

Had a lovely lunch and great service. Really liked the look of the afternoon tea so hope to come back for that soon.

The experience was made better by being able to sit on the rooftop terrace in the glorius sunshine!

• Stayed: May 2014