“Chic quirky hotel”

Great John Street Hotel
Ranked #2 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Family treat for end of school holidays, we decided to stay over here, the hotel is a converted school and has kept theme nicely throughout. Great decor and really cosy chic feel, the rooms are generous in size, we went for two boudoir rooms at a very reasonable rate. The girls loved the mezzanine bath! If narrow stairs are an issue, check when booking. The staff are charming and helpful, we had cooked breakfast and it was really good, the afternoon tea looked good too. It is a little out of the centre, not far, a £5.00 taxi to get to the city centre restaurant. The air conditioning needs some attention though, it is really warm in the public areas and in our room the air conditioning wasn't working, in August, it was so uncomfortable we moved room, I thought we should have been informed when we checked in that the air conditioning in our rooms was not working.
We would go back though.

Room Tip: All the rooms are generous in size and really nicely decorated, check the air con is working, typica...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank tracey s
Write a ReviewReviews (1,366)

Reviewed 31 August 2014

We stayed here as part of a wedding party, which was just as well, as the disco and dance floor was right above our room, so we wouldn't have got to sleep any earlier! The hotel staff were most accommodating and some of the most genuinely friendly and helpful folk we have met, especially at reception. We were too early to check in, but needed to change for the wedding, so the staff let us into our room, unmade and they serviced the room whilst we were at the wedding. Most useful! The room was large and very well appointed. 'Quirky' is how another reviewer has called it, but very comfortable, especially the bed. The decor is excellent and the lounge relaxing with good food. The hotel did really well for the wedding arrangements. Breakfast the next day was all you needed and more and very well presented and cooked.. Had the obligatory tour of Coronation Street (across the road) before we left and the hotel was happy to keep our car parked till after we had finished the tour. Staying at the hotel is pricey, but was certainly worth it for us.

Room Tip: Check if there is any dancing going on above your head!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnandmaggie
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed here several times super location for a night out in Manchester. High lights for us was the huge baths in the rooms and the hot tub on the roof. Cocktails at the bar were not the best but still go down well. Afternoon tea is well worth a try. A little gem of a hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Tina D
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Well, where do I start! We came to Manchester on the 2nd of August 2014 & stayed here for 4 nights for a long time friends wedding... We were coming off a 8 day cruise around the Mediterranean & a 5 day stay in the heart of Rome so we thought that staying in Manchester might not live up to our current holiday standards, but we were wrong! We checked in late well after midnight after flying in & heading straight out the to pub with our Manchester friends, the staff where more than welcoming. They even made sure we put in our order for breakfast.

The room was so spacious & very 'grand'. We loved it! Every bit of it, the double baths in the loft bathroom to the bed fit for a king (so comfy)! The rooms decor was just awesome but also very comfortable & homely. The shower has a huge shower head with awesome water pressure (nothing better than a good showers itch good pressure), & on the last morning I did get a bath in & it was also awesome. It was just what I needed before taking on pacing my suitcase.

We didn't get out to the main area for breakfast, we had it in our room everyday because to tell you the truth we were 2 weeks into a very hectic trip & took advantage of the room service. It was on time every morning, perfectly presented & freshly cooked. We looked forward to & loved the freshly squeezed orange juice.

The wedding was held on the terrace on the rooftop & it really was so lovely. The weather was amazing (for Manchester apparently), the sun was shinning all afternoon, the dinning area was set out beautifully, it was had a very personal feel to it & was very intimate, the BBQ was a great idea (being from Australia of course) the music was spot on & the staff where very pleasant. The company had allot to do with how much we enjoyed the wedding but it was very professionally executed & all seemed to have gone very smoothly.

The next night was spent in the bar down stairs till the sun came up & I have to say that it was one of the best nights we had in our trip. As rowdy as we were the staff let us have fun & did not complain once, instead they joined in on the signing etc. The 2 staff that where on that night where fantastic. Thank you an Norbit & the bar tender.

The location was great (not that we knew where we were going) it's opposite the old Coronation Street set so we woke up to the tour buses most mornings but it wasn't early.

The staff were very helpful & nothing was to much for them. I had many requests when we first arrived because I didn't have the right power point plugs, I needed the iron & ironing board etc etc.. But they never once made me feel like I was asking too much.

The only thing I will say is that the drinks where very expensive & that night we spent in the bar till sunrise cost us a pretty penny, even at the wedding we were shocked to pay the prices we paid for a bottle of beer & the bottles of wine. I would not usually worry about paying for drinks but it was a little over the top. Besides that, we loved this hotel & highly recommend it.

Thank you for helping make our trip perfect!

Mr & Mrs Beattie

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Delia B
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed in room 28 a baby grand room. It was spectacular, large bed, and the bathroom was incredible with a bath for 2 and a walk in shower. The only problem was a loud buzzing noise (possibly a water pump or pipes?) that would unpredictably loudly echo around the whole room for couple of seconds approximately 4x an hour.. so just as I was drifting off it would happen again (despite wearing earplugs!)... my partner however slept through the whole night, so whilst the bed was very comfy - no complaints there - it was the worse nights sleep I've ever had.. I feel cheated out of what should have been an amazing nights sleep.

Room Tip: If you hear a buzzing in the room - don't assume that it will stop overnight just change rooms!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CNicky85
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Hotel recommended by friends who had stayed here before so I booked it for the Wife's Birthday in July. Lovely hotel in a great location which was what I wanted. The Staff were very friendly and most helpful, a real credit to the place. The room was excellent, very clean and well looked after with the Bathroom upstairs. We didn't eat in Value for money ? Difficult to say really, for what little time we spent in the hotel. I get the impression that if a wedding is booked then that is priority and pretty much takes over the Hotel. I can understand this as weddings provide venues with a large part of their income although it was a little frustrating when we were not able to have a drink on the balcony on a lovely warm afternoon on arrival. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and had a lovely time in Manchester.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark L
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Went for afternoon tea earlier in the year for Mothers day and the service and food were both excellent. I have lived in Manchester a long time and didn't know about this gem of a hotel on my doorstep. Apparently it was an old school but the way it has been transformed is spectacular. Unusual decor, quirky rooms etc.so I decided the next time I could I would treat myself to an overnight stay. We were not disappointed. Our room had the mezzanine level which housed the bath and the breakfast the next morning was excellent. Well worth a visit for afternoon tea or an overnight stay, excellent choice!!!

Room Tip: I think any room here would be good as they are all different.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends