“Amazing wedding - attention to detail & finishing touches were incredible”

Great John Street Hotel
Ranked #2 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 24 September 2010

We got married here in August and can't praise the hotel staff enough for the attention to detail and finishing touches. We wanted to avoid a traditional wedding at all costs and just had a small ceremony with only immediate family in the rooftop lounge before all our friends joined us for a BBQ on the terrace (thank god the sun shone!!!) and partied hard afterwards.
Our friends were blown away by how beautiful the venue, the quality of the food, and how stylish the whole thing was. We were so impressed by how such a simple wedding could be transformed by the hotel into a really unique and special occasion.
We were lucky enough to book before they brought in the new policy of having to book a certain amount of bedrooms so I imagine the cost of having your wedding here is now eye watering - but if you are after something modern and stylish I would recommend it.
Yes the drinks are expensive and yes the 10% they add to eveything is a complete rip off but it was so gorgeous I'm willing to overlook that.
The advice I would give anyone getting married / having a civil partnership here is don't even worry about all the finer details - they are experts and will take care of everything for you so just leave it to them - they did an incredible job for us.
My only criticism of the Great John Street is that they are a nightmare about returning calls - not just when we were booking the wedding but also on other occasions when we booked their gorgeous Mother's Day afternoon tea (amazing) and Easter Sunday lunch (average), no one seems to pass on messages and no one ever returns your call and on the rare occasion when I did speak to our wedding co ordinator I got the impression it was an inconvenience so bridezillas beware! However all the staff we met running up to the wedding and during our stay were lovely.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LittleMs
Write a ReviewReviews (1,366)

Reviewed 23 August 2010

Wow. Just wow. This hotel is incredible - and I am one seriously fussy traveller. I haven't slept so well in years - not only is the hotel peaceful, but the bed is the comfiest I've ever slept in with wonderful linen. A very well designed room which felt luxurious - especially the mezzanine level bathroom with roll top bath. Every detail had been attended to and the staff couldn't have been more helpful.
I had drinks in the bar before meeting friends for dinner - what a beautiful spot to hang out in - I just wish I'd had longer there.
I cannot wait to come back!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Fretter
Reviewed 17 August 2010

stunning place -hard to beat
Food service great
bedrooms incredible -get there early and just luxuriate
Bathrooms are FANTASTIC - beds are SO comfortable
Just oozes class
Expensive but if you get late availability its very reasonable

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank mooretobe
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I thought I'd write this review as I noticed the place is getting a little bit of bashing by its regular clients and think it would be useful to people considering booking this hotel to be reminded of just how glorious the place can be on first impressions.

We checked into GJS on a whim to have our first night of freedom away from our gorgeous little one. I phoned the day before, spoke to a lovely girl who promised a very quiet room and got a great rate, I shan't reveal what, that's for you to barter for ;) On arrival we were welcomed efficiently and told we'd been upgraded. I'm sure you can imagine our delight that our stay was getting better before it had already started. We used the valet parking service, a smiley chap who took great care of hubbys nice car and returned it immaculately and in blink of an eye timing. It was worth the extra pounds to have hassle free arrival and departure in the city.

Our room was simply fabulous, I was truly amazed to find something so unique in the centre of Manchester, we were immediately transported back to our boutique hotel stay in Soho NY and have to admit, GJS did it even better. Spacious rooms, gorgeous mezzanine bathroom with all the creature comforts. And I'm dying to add that the hotel bed was AMAZING. It was sooo comfortable I had to sneak a peek at why, and the extra mattress layers revealed just why we had sunk into the bed and slept so well. I can't stress enough our delight when we woke up the next morning and realised how well we'd slept. It was really a first for us and we have stayed in quite a few top hotels.

We had breakfast in bed the next morning which arrived on time and well presented. Little niggle that they didnt have a couple of things we ordered (which they'd replaced) and the toast was cold, but nothing worth openly complaining about. Definitely quite expensive for what it is, but thats the price of not being bothered to get out of bed in the morning :)

We went out to a gig in the evening so I cant really comment on the ambience of the rest of the hotel facilities (and it was mid-week). We were a little surprised to find the bar so quiet at midnight so instead of a night cap, headed straight back to our room. It was lovely though, really cosy and can imagine it would be quite buzzy on a different night. We snuck up to the roof terrace to see what else was going on, nothing in fact, but we look forward to returning and making use of the bar space and hot tub (which was switched off). It was a beautiful space and we also got a sneak peek of Corrie being filmed late at night (poor workers...)

Only thing I'd change is to have a slightly later checkout time as I'd have loved an extra hour sunk into that bed but it seems the norm in Manchester for it to be 11am. Check out was friendly and efficient again. I think I get the comments about the service not being particularly warm but I liked the fact the service was discreet and not over the top smiley, it never feels right in a small hotel as it can quickly become suffocating in such a place. But perhaps thats down to what you want out of your stay. I think its suffice to say it was very special for many reasons, and to me thats what counted.

I cant wait to return next time I can grab a good late deal to get a short sharp fix of rejuvenation. I wont bother looking at other hotel options in manchester again! Location, comfort and luxury is everything you could ask for.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ricard
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We held our civil partnership on the rooftop terrace this July - we were fully supported throught the 18 months of planning, and were allocated a member of staff to oversee everything on the day. This hotel is beautifully designed, with a recent refurb of the rooftop lounge and terrace, which is truly five star - the views make it a real experience to remember.
The staff are friendly, helpful and professional. The food (our event bbq, drinks, snacks and breakfasts) were second to none, and the rooms are the most luxurious we have ever known. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, and they even organised some surprise treats for us (rose petals and chocolates on the bed!). Our guests all remarked at how stunning the venue was, and that the food was some of the best they had tasted at a wedding.
We would not hesitate to recommend Great John Street Hotel to any prospective brides, and to anyone wanting a taste of boutique living in Manchester!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eleanorbc
Reviewed 21 July 2010

i have stayed there a few times and always enjoyed it very much,but on this last and final occasion i was disgusted to see how th housekeeping staff were coping.they usually have smiles and have time for simple chat but they were rushing about trying to get the rooms turned round.there had been a wedding the night before and by time the guests had left it was chaotic.we were at reception when the receptionist who was lovely and polite explained that we had to wait,that was fine as we understand its a tough job but this man richard who im sure is the manager came out shouting the odds and phoned housekeeping very abrubtly and told them to hurry up.
when we got to our room it was cosy and most of all very clean for the time they had to turn things round.
i think management there should realise how tough a job it is rather than throwing his weight around.if he was so concerned about the time why didnt he go and help.
there was a very bad atmosphere that time and they have lost my buisness

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tendy99
Reviewed 16 June 2010

Had an absolutely fantastic stay in this hotel. Food and drink excellent, served by really friendly staff. Room great, loved the bathroom on the mezzanine floor. Wonderful shower. Can't wait to go back, or try one of their other hotels in Didsbury.

Info: Parking costs £17 for 24 hrs if you use the NCP round the corner from the hotel. 10% service charge added to all food and drink.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple