“Excelente!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Visited at lunch time on Valentines Day.

My wife and I were quickly seated, staff were very friendly and food was served quickly. We both felt welcome and both really enjoyed the "street food tray" sharing platter, which was very filling. Staff offered advice on what would go with what, and the food was extremely authentic.

Great to see/taste Mexican street food in Manchester.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Forget the BBQ wings and chips...try some authentic Mexican, we stopped here before going on to the opera House, really friendly and helpful staff, very cheap for a night out and very good food, we had a sharing platter with tostada's, quesadillas and Tacos, it came with rice and black beans all for £20...bargain!

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Ended up eating here as almost famous had a 2 hour wait for food! If that wasn't enough we only had 45 mins before we needed to be at the opera house for the dirty rotten scoundrels musical (excellent by the way) we were welcomed and seated quickly and made waitress aware of our need to hurry. It's a little dark and it's hard to read menus although this may be partly down to my ever worsening eye sight. Lots of Nacho , burritos , etc which dominate the menu but also burgers etc which in a rush we opted for straight away. We asked for one without cheese which they failed to produce so by time my wife's arrived I'd nearly finished mine, which is always a little annoying ,however they did replace pretty soon, and it was freshly made not just same burger with cheese scraped off. Burger was tasty albeit a little less so than its rival diner 'almost famous' next door but one. Unfortunately it was any port in a storm and this one was acceptable. So apart from the mistake by the kitchen ( I'm giving waitress the benefit of the doubt here, mind you she never wrote my order down so it was more likely her error?) it was just what we needs in a rush.

Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

I'd heard and read mixed reviews about lucha before my visit at the start of February... So just like an abstractly named Ben Affleck film, I had no idea what to expect! All I knew was that we were going Mexican!

We hadn't booked, we just waltz right on in. The staff were lovely, big smiles, our server Tom notched us up a lovely lil table next to the hot sauce wall (we'll come back to that) and informed me they sold my favourite Mexican beer... Pacifico! Very nice, this guy was a great server throughout. Fun, friendly and very helpful.

The decor is great fun, the change in to night time with the wall art just appearing is unreal. Plus a wall of hot sauce... Well. That's a treat for me anyway.

Our drinks came in no time. The frozen margarita's were... Not great. I browsed the tequila menu, excellent selection (herradura anejo and Ochoa being a must try for anyone who likes a sipping tequila).

So, on to the food. For my taste it was right up my street... We weren't here for gourmet, michellin star. We came because we heard the term 'street food'! Cheap to make, cheap to sell and full of all the naughty stuff! I have to say, these guys nailed it.

I had a chargrilled chicken quesadilla with refried beans and my girlfriend had the veggie burrito. It filled the gaps and was delicious.

Afterwards we had a couple of drinks at the bar... Not so much a sour note of the experience but they need a little work on the bar. The bartenders knowledge isn't quite all there yet, they have some great products in but nothing on the cocktail menu that is standing out. It's a very safe menu. I think I spotted a bottle of apple sourz somewhere too (I'm good ta).

So all in all, some great fun, love the style of food and the level of service... Just need a bit of ambition on the bar and this place will be a force to reckon with!

1  Thank Benthebartender
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Very disappointed with lucha libre went in today for lunch, for the meal we decided to share one of the small dishes for starters small it was not it was massive to much for the two of us to share as a mains let a lone a starter it was ment to be nachos with salsa jalapeño and a fried egg on top it came out with nachos a tiny bit of salsa, sour cream, radishes and the egg no jalapeños we hate sour cream would never have ordered it if we new that was on there no idea y there where radishes on it never would I think to put radishes on nachos discussing so where the nachos to be fair stale n soggy, the quesadilla chorizo and potato are very dry could do with some sauce or something on a plus the tacos chorizo and chicken where very nice only one good part of the meal so we for one will not be going again.

4  Thank z0e16