“Cheap, clean, comfortable”

Ranked #94 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
travelling the world
“Cheap, clean, comfortable”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

People complain too much, I read negative reviews about this hotel so I was a little apprehensive about booking but im glad I did. For £30 $55 per night im certainly happy! Yeah the furniture might be a little dated- but seriously £30!!!
I got a single room, it is very well cleaned (im not afraid of this bathroom lol) bed is comfortable, plenty of storage space and the location is easily accessible. The staff are very very friendly and helpful! And to the person who complained about the night porter - how happy would you be at 3am with drunken shenanigans?.
Overall a good, cheap place to stay =)

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank daisy-belle-ellen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

When I stayed I had a single room which was fine for me. The room was clean, warm & not too noisy.
This was a budget hotel & absolutely fine as a room in which to lay ones head.
Get here early if you want to use the car park as there aren't many spaces & it's first gone first served

• Stayed October 2013
8 Thank Izzmeister
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My experience with Hotel Lansdowne had been very nice. The staff is very polite and helpful. When I entered the room, it was well set, tidy and clean. Everything was working properly. Could enjoy drink and food on the same premises. Very short drive to city center. Nice car park available. Easy and 24 hours bus access to the city center and airport. Place is calm and quiet. Could sleep well for all three nights. Powerful showers that makes you enjoy the bath. Budget hotel in such a close proximity. Would recommend this to others and would always stay here. Can be booked online and on call and can make card payments too. Very satisfied with the place.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side have nice view of Wilmslow Road.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Pkban
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

it wasn't the best hotel I ever stayed in but it was far from the worse the breakfast was amazing and the staff was nice I don't like the fact u pay deposit for your key and I didn't like the fact u pay to rent towels but was nice in general

Room Tip: its worth the money
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank amy b
huddersfield
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Only hotel we could find as Manchester United were playing at home. Were welcomed when we arrived, but had to pay £10 deposit for room key - never had to do this before ever. No mattress or pillow protectors and horrible stains on mattress. Did not dare look at pillows! Went out for something to eat and, on returning, found guests had been waiting 20 minutes plus for their room keys! Went to kitchen of restaurant and insisted on immediate service. Only continental breakfast offered - needed an English to set us for the day, so had to go to local Sainsburys. Room was terrible - nasty stains on carpet, door lock held on with 2 screws. Too awful to describe this experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank chrisdogHuddersfield

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Booked this room via latedeals so didn't have the chance to do any homework on it which is a shame as the place is a total and utter dump! From the outside it looked scruffy and shabby and it only got worse inside. I don't think it's had an update in 30 years other than a about 15 coats of paint on everything, which just makes it look shabbier.
We arrived and the receptionist was friendly enough but insisted we left a £10 deposit for the room key which we hadn't been informed about, and the key had to be left in reception every time you went out. This makes me nervous as they know the room is empty and they have full access to it!
The room was really grubby, the bedsheets were clean enough but the light fittings were inch thick with dust and there were cobwebs everywhere! The carpet needed a bit more of a hoover as there were still bits in the corners.
The barman was surly and rude, but at £9 for two brandy and cokes we didn't stay long enough to suffer him too much.
The restaurant was strictly vegetarian and mostly vegan, not great when you want a decent breakfast after a night out....Wetherspoons up the road did just fine.
It was also possibly the noisiest place I have ever stayed, the management did nothing to quiet the people running round shouting at 4am.
Thankfully this was booked as a place to crash after a night out, if we had booked for two nights I'd have been 25 yards up the road booking into the much better looking hotel.
Absolutely one to avoid, get on Groupon and find a deal anywhere else for the same money!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MandM6674
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I had a very unpleasant experience with this hotel when visiting to watch a music performance at the royal northern college of music.

After walking to the hotel which was mine and my girlfriends choice we arrived around 11:10pm ready to check in and bunk down. However when we arrived and the receptionist saw we'd managed to secure a room via booking online for £30, he questioned my girlfriend on all aspects of her booking as if to challenge her. He brought over an associate who then shook his head and informed us that £40 was their cheapest rate. Now I am no legal expert but I am quite sure it is against the law to inform somebody who has already purchased something that they in fact have to pay more than you quote. The standard law for purchase of goods states whatever price is shown is what a customer must pay. I am quite sure this will be similar in the hotel trade.

After a short show and dance they conceded we did book with that price and almost sounded like they were doing us a favour by admitting "you have turned up, so we'll honour the booking". I didn't argue although I was almost ready to perk up and argue this point as they'd already said we probably made an error on our end which I believe is terrible customer service to try and tell a customer they are wrong and it is their fault.

After all this we saw our room which was run down. The light above the bed looked like it was about to fall off; the toilet was totally discoloured and yellow as was the shower curtain and bathroom tiles. The bed linen has holes in it and the windows had bars on them, through which we could hear every passing car, every police siren, every girl wearing heels and every conversation the whole night long.

The final nail in the coffin was the thinness of the walls. My girlfriend and I began to laugh as we realised very quickly that as we tried to nod off we could hear the couple next door have a fantastic evening three times over. We heard everything from the most basic moan to the final screams of the third round. So of course next doors bedroom antics kept us awake due to paper thin walls for a further few hours.

Could't wait to leave the next morning. Will never return to this hotel. We managed to get a room at the 4 star Hilton at Manchester Airport for £10 more than what this hotel claimed to be their cheapest double room. I think that says a lot to us as a couple about the chances we'll ever consider this hotel again.

Avoid