“On the whole, an enjoyable stay”

Premier Inn Manchester Central Hotel
Ranked #22 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Leeds, United Kingdom
“On the whole, an enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 5 May 2011

Stayed for one night on a Saturday whilst attending a show at the MEN, so we only wanted somewhere to rest our heads. Have stayed in several Premier Inns before so I knew what to expect. The room was clean, well kept and very comfortable. There was little internal or external noise and we had a good nights sleep. The price we paid (£74) was very reasonable. A walk to the shops in the centre of town was about 5 -10 mins down the road so a good location.
However there were a few niggles. The first being that they have started charging for the use of a credit card. I have never had this before at a Premier Inn. The staff were unsure about the charge and merely advised me to use a debit card.
Secondly, we asked the staff how to get to the MEN arena. Was told "trams go every 2 minutes from the centre of town". However this was not true information and we were nearly late for our show as ended up having to walk, as the trams were not nearly as frequent as that.
The other niggle was over breakfast. Firstly we were told wrong info over the breakfast times, staff told us they served till 9.30 when it was 10.30. I asked for continental breakfasts for me and my friend. I have these every time I go to a Premier Inn, at a price of £5.25. I was told they don't do them here and we would have to pay £7.99. I said I only wanted cereal and fruit and I was not going to pay £7.99 for that. The member of staff looked annoyed and said that she "would do it this once but would probably get into trouble!" Not exactly pleasing the customer are they?!!!
If I stayed again in Manchester I would probably go to another Premier Inn.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Macclesfield
Reviewed 4 May 2011

We stayed at this hotel to attend an event in Manchester. The hotel is right across the road from Manchester Central Convention centre, which was where our event was being held. We arrived around 2pm and were checked in efficently. The hotel check-in was automated with the help of a receptionist, which I thought was a bit cold, not very personal. We went up to our room and found it to be large and comfortable. The bathroom was fairly small and both rooms were very clean. The room had good air conditioning but this switched off automatically at night.

The only problem that we had was that we had no hot water. We went to the girls at reception and informed them and we were immediately given another room but this had the same problem. Another empty room was tried and this also had no hot water. After investigation it was found that there was no hot water in any of the rooms. There was nothing we could do, so we went out for a bite to eat and when we came back the hot water had been sorted. This was very good as it was bank holiday weekend and there was no maintenance on site. We thought that this problem was dealt with very efficently.

The hotel is very well placed in Manchester, within easy walking distance of the main shopping area and some very tasting eating places within china town. The hotel had a bar area but we didn't use this and we didn't have breakfast. Overall a pleasent stay in a clean, well presented and friendly hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Very clean, all around. Plus the breakfast food was first class, as were all the staff. The cleanliness of the room/bathroom was top notch. Thanks for a very enjoyable superb value for money stay. Ideally located for the Opera House and Oxford Road Station.

Room Tip: Our room was on the top floor, it was very quiet
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
darlington U.K.
Reviewed 1 May 2011

A nice comfortable modern premier inn, with nice bar and breakfast area.
In a good location, G mex. 10 minutes stroll to shopping centre, if that.
Nice quite location, staff fine. Well worth the £29 for the room.
Breakfast good value at £7-99. Would consider this hotel strongly on our
next trip to Manchester as the high end hotels can be expensive.
Highly Recommended at the right price.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Comfortable, clean and modern, en-suite room. Basic facilities, friendly service. Location is excellent. At 29 pounds for a one night stay - very good value.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Gloucester
Reviewed 18 April 2011

The check in staff were happy to help with the automatic check in machine and the restaurant and bar staff had the right balance between friendliness and efficiency.
The sound of the air-con in the bedroom was noticeable in the dead of the night but apart from that everything was good value for money.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I stayed on the Premier Inn Manchester Central on a business trip, booking the room plus meal deal of 3-course dinner and breakfast. The dinner was OK standard, could have been better but not bad for the price. The breakfast was really good, much better than I remembered from previous stays at other Premier Inns.

The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. What they excelled in was making a lone female business traveller feel comfortable and secure. I am quite confident but dining alone is not a comfortable think for me. I was brought a newspaper to read at dinner whcih made me feel less conspicuous. 3 courses in one hit is a bit much for me so I asked if I could have the main course at the table and take the starter and dessert to my room. This was done without fuss and very nicely presented. It meant I could do some work in the room, watch TV and relax with a late supper. My room was close to the lift so I did not have to wander about, this made me feel more secure.

The room itself was very nice, large windows with a nice view of Manchester roof tops. There was a comfortable chair (I hate having to sit on the bed to watch TV!), the bed was super comfortable as usual for Premier Inn, everything really clean. The room was a bit cold but there was a small heater which sorted it out. I was at the back of the building so very quiet.

All in all, one of the best Premier Inns I have stayed in, and I am a fan.

Room Tip: Have the breakfast, it is a really good standard.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business