“Perfect location in central Manchester”

and 1 more site!
Premier Inn Manchester City Centre - Portland Street
Ranked #29 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Stayed here when attending a conference in The Palace Hotel and, from the comments of colleagues who stayed in The Palace Hotel, we got everything in the way of comfort and service that they got but at almost half the price!! The en-suite room was spacious and clean with acomfortable king-size bed and tea/coffee making facilities. Their "Meal Deal" option gave Breakfast and Dinner for £22 more than the "room-only" option and provided excellent value. The buffet breakfast in the morning was fine with a wide choice of cereals, fresh fruit etc and the cooked items were replenished quickly and often. The evening meal was from a restricted menu but still gave plenty of choice. The staff were all helpful and friendly throughout the stay. Situated at the bottom end of Portland Street, the hotel is in a perfect location for getting to anywhere in Central Manchester.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,769)

Reviewed 11 July 2012

We stayed here for my son's graduation and it was in a great location, yes the reception area is a bit dark but the rest of the hotel was as you would expect from a Premier Inn.
The bedroom was clean as was the bathroom and the bed was very comfortable.
Breakfast was very good, with fresh fruit and plenty of choice of cooked items. You could choose to have porridge and boiled or poach eggs cooked to your liking.
We were in a room that looked over the centre of the hotel so very quite.
Would recommend this Hotel

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank chasoc
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Myself and 3 friends stayed here in two twin rooms for the Saturday night after the Stone Roses concert on 30th of June. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and seemed to be handling a very busy weekend well. They had a lot of patience and time for you and were very approachable.
The bed i slept in was really comfortable, and rooms were very clean a decently spacious.
Shower was fine with nice addition of shower gel dispenser.
Checkout was at 12pm, which I really appreciated, as a lot of places just seem to be 10 as standard these days.
My only negative comment would be the crazily inflated room rates for that concert weekend. The twin rooms that I booked cost £139 each for the night, which is much more than I would have expected to pay for a premier inn, especially when booking a good few months in advance.
They seem ( like most other places in Manchester that weekend) to have inflated their prices because of the demand for places to stay. I don't know if this is common practice for big city events, but found it a little cheeky. But to be fair this premier inn was still cheaper than some of the prices being charged at hotels around the same area.
Also I was very appreciative of the fact that we were able to leave our luggage in a locked room after we had checked out, and pick it up back up later that night before we got the train home, a very nice feature.
Also really liked the fact that we would have be able to cancel the rooms right up until 1pm on the day of arrival, even though we had booked months in advance. This was a very fair option.

Overall I cant really fault our stay, under their normal room rates I would highly recommend this hotel for the location and friendliness of the staff. Just beware and check for a jump up in price if you are planning to attend a big city event.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This hotel is in a really great location, and you can walk everywhere from it. It was great for me and my friends for a night out.

This was my first time in a Premier Inn so I'm not sure how it compares to others. I must admit to usually being more of a boutique 4*+ hotel type of person (sorry!), but my experience here was OK. It was cheap - we only paid £30 for a twin room - and for the price I had no complaints. I wouldn't want to pay any more though. The room seemed a bit...tired? But it was clean and the beds were very comfortable, and we were only really in the room to sleep and shower. However, my friend's (non-smoking) room stank of cigarette smoke and she found cigarette butts under the bed, which was unpleasant.

As others have said the windows don't open which made the rooms very stuffy, but once the aircon gets going it cooled down nicely and there was a laminated card in the room which said you could call reception and they would come and unlock your window for you.

We didn't get breakfast or use any other facilities at the hotel, but the staff at reception were really good - friendly and helpful.

Overall it wasn't that special, but was fine for this type of stay, and I would go again if I could get it for the same price. My major gripe was that it is obviously heavily used by stag and hen parties, and on Friday evening I felt slightly intimidated by the number of large groups of loud drunk people wandering the corridors. It probably isn't the place for a family trip or a quiet stay, albeit that the hotel would do their best to welcome you.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street are noisy - request one at the back.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you for your review, we really do take all feedback seriously. I have passed your concerns on to our teams to ensure we investigate your fully.

As you say our reception teams are available 24 hours a day and always on hand to offer assistnace no matter what our guests concerns may be we are always on hand to help.
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed here last weekend for the Stone Roses gig. The hotel is basic (the reception area is akin to a hostel) but the service and standards were very good.
Our room was clean and bright and although it looked out onto a busy street it was well soundproofed. The air conditioning in the room was also very beneficial considering the humidity of the current weather.
Breakfast was very good and on both mornings we managed to eat enought to keep us going all day!
Staff were very friendly and helpful.
Not the lap of luxury but a well run hotel. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We are very glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us, and yes you're quite right eat as much as you like breakfasts really do keep you going all day!

Thank you for all your comments we are constantly evolving and seeking to improve to your feedback is very important to all our teams.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 7 July 2012

I was amazed that this Hotel gets through the Premier Inn brand standards to be honest.

There is a far better Premier Inn around the corner which is a pleasure to stay in, if this Portland Street Hotel was my first Premier Inn experience I wouldnt be in a hurry to try another one!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank busman221
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have a quiet stay in a clean and comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please be assured your comments have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

Have stayed here twice excellent location for going out or shopping in Manchester everything within walking distance. Staff very friendly and helpful, rooms excellent very comfortable

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback
I will pass your comments onto our teams, and yes you're quite right, shopping, bars, clubs and theaters just a stones throw away!

Don't forget to try Manchester's wonderful tram system next time you stay with us, connect to every part of our city right on our doorstep.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Portland Street Premier Inn againb in the future.
Our Kind Regards