After dropping our car off at the expensive but nearby multi-story car park and stepping over the people begging for loose change near the entrance we entered the hotel and the check-in staff were great. We were given a very large family room with 3 beds for my wife and I with our 2 children (third floor).
Unfortunately our room was on the side of the main road which resulted constant noise throughout the night - not just a rumble though, this was like being in a war zone! Police cars, ambulances, speeding cars, racing motorbikes - you could hear it all .. and all night.
Reluctantly I mentioned this to the lady on reception first thing the next morning who was very apologetic and tried to explain that it was a city centre hotel and noise was inevitable. She also explained that this was an "older" property which didn't have the sound proofing found in a modern hotel but next time to request a family room facing the "courtyard" as these tend to be much quieter. I later found out the outside window (outside window of the double glazing) was ajar and could not be closed without a special square key - although there was still lots of noise when this was held shut it was a little better.
The bottom line is this is a budget hotel in an average part of Manchester attracting people on a night out looking for a cheap place to sleep - maybe I was expecting a little too much.
Incidentally if you are visiting the Palace Theatre, the location is great - its only about 50 yards away.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally situated in the heart of Manchester, Piccadilly train station is just a 10 minute walk and there are tram links to Manchester Old Trafford stadium, Manchester City stadium, and Media City Uk. Attractions nearby include Canal Street, Oxford Road, Palace and Opera House theatres and lots of bars and restaurants. Passes for nearby gym facilities are available please enquire at reception. Parking is available at a discounted rate (approx £14.50 per over night stay) at the Q Park on St James St - M1 4LX. Voucher is available from hotel reception upon departure. Our Manchester (Portland Street) Premier Inn has everything you'd expect, incredibly comfy beds in every room and an integrated restaurant serving a mix of traditional and contemporary dishes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda and Premier Inn so you can book your Premier Inn Manchester City Centre - Portland Street reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Portland Street) Hotel Manchester
- Premier Inn Portland Street
- Travel Inn Manchester