Premier Inn Manchester City Centre - Portland Street
Ranked #33 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 7 April 2013

If you want to stay in the city centre I would certainly recommend this Premier Inn as it is conveniently situated for shops and nightlife.

The room I stayed in was clean and had the usual Premier Inn furbishings which were in a good condition.

I experienced no noise from my fellow guests. Th reception staff were friendly and helpful too.

Perhaps the best thing was that I paid only £19 for a Friday night though I did book 2 months in advance.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,841)

Reviewed 5 April 2013

We spent a night here when we went to the theatre, excellent location and friendly, helpful service. We could not fault it for value and comfort. The room was ready at 2pm and within walking distance to the theatre/shops/restaurants

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Stayed recently for a few days and will advise people who do not want to spend on vouchers for the premier inn wifi to get a room as close to the Wetherspoons Paramount and you should be able to pick up their free cloud wifi. Also don't bother spending £8.00 on their buffet breakfast as you can get an excellent large breakfast at the Wetherspoons next door for just £4.50

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Oxonlad
Reviewed 4 April 2013

3 nights booked, nice friendly staff, great breakfast, Weatherspoons next door, would stay again no problem £29 per night. Walking distance to Arndale shopping centre and MEN Arena and GMEX bus stop outside entrance.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I managed to get this room for a bargain £29 and although arriving at the hotel 30 minutes earlier than the 2pm check in time the staff were very helpful in checking us into our rooms, as the self service machines wouldn't have allowed us until after 2pm.

Appearances can be deceiving because despite the small entrance this hotel is BIG and I had quite a walk around to my room once I had reached my floor. If you have difficulty walking I advise requesting a room closer to the lifts.

I was there to see Katie Melua at the Bridgewater Hall and being just five minutes walk away the location of this hotel was fantastic, it is also less than 10 minutes walk from Picaddilly station.

If you are hungry I also highly recommend the New Emperor Restaurant just around the corner in China Town, one of the most delicious meals I have ever tasted!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2013

A pleasant hotel that felt warm and friendly with good breakfasts and a nice bar. Located close to the main station and tram and bus services to other parts of the city. The city centre is only a few minutes walk.

Room Tip: Seemed generally quiet, even though it was a busy weekend.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2013

The hotel itself was clean and everything you'd expect from a Premier inn, which we have stayed in lots of times throughout the UK.
But the chain seem to have a policy of not allowing bedroom windows to be opened - not even a little bit. Therin lies the problem. On the first night there, the room was so hot there was beads of sweat on all of us - mainly me. I tried several times to control the heating (following the very basic instrucations on a sheet of paper) it clearly said use the control up and down switches to alter the heat/coolness. Ours defaulted to 23.5 degrees. Even with the cooler on the noise woke my two sons, so for a while three of us were awake. in the end I turned the cooler and heating system off altogether. I just feel that they are making the rooms unbearable by not allowing the windows to be opened.Also clearer instructions for control of heating and cooling would be better, and a more silent cooler system would help
This inability for me to sleep put a bit of a dampner on our weekend as you can imagine it made me rather grumpy.
On the plus side the hotel was spotless and the food was good. Most of the staff were very friendly, especially Luis who served at the breakfast and dinner tables (we ate in the hotel on the 2nd night and the food was very good). However the front of house staff seemed to have a "cannot be bothered" attitude,and was busy looking past me to grab the room keys off the other people behind me. They seem to have a "lets get the customer out as quickly as possible attitude".

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family