“Excellent all round”

Ranked #29 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent all round”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

For the money i had to give 5 stars, great location, clean and nice comfy room, great breakfast, fast check-in, friendly staff, and you can leave luggage in storage if you arrive early or want to stay around after check in, great stay

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
RuthQuinn, Operational Manager at Premier Inn Manchester City Centre - Portland Street, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thanks for reviewing your recent stay to our hotel. I am happy that we have delivered to all your expectations. I hope that you had a wonderful time in Manchester and that everything went ok for you.

I hope that we see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I stayed overnight at this hotel with my daughter. We were in Manchester for the Christmas markets and shopping and my only regret is We did not stay longer. From the moment we checked in we were made to feel like a valued customers the room and facilities were spotlessly clean and comfortable. We had a lovely short break

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank flomac59
Thank you for leaving such a complimentary review about your recent visit to us. I am happy to hear that you and your daughter had a wonderful experience.

I always find it pleasing to hear when our guests feel at home and happy from the first step through the door.

I hope that you visit us again soon; we look forward to seeing you back with us in Manchester.
roy79
Reviewed 17 December 2013

It is not the easiest place to find so I'd advise to take a street view first in Google or other map service. The entrance is literary just a normal door with a plain sign hanging above it.

The staff is definitely one of the friendliest I have ever came across. They have also took care of our special requests I entered from booking.com which has never happened before. The check in was efficient and quick, just as check out. There is no express check-out here so there will be queuing during busy times.

We had a very clean family room with 1 double bed and 1 single bed and they've provided also 1 travel cot for our baby. The room is quite spacious as there are spaces to spare with all the beds. The interior is plain as it should be in a budget hotel, the bathroom with bathtub is sufficient but not very big. The shower head is VERY water saving. The rooms is not sound proof, we can hear people close or knocking doors, so we used ear plugs to ensure a good night sleep (except when our baby wake us up).
The room has AC for cooling and a heater controllable by same panel as AC (there is a switch to change between heat and cool). However it seems the panel where I set the room temperature reset itself after few hours to the coldest setting which turns off the heater. It gets quite cold during the night, luckily that the bed covers are thick. The beds are comfy, hard but comfy.

The location is excellent! The hotel is close to most of the sights and Chinatown. Piccadilly train station is 10-15 min walk with luggage. There are breakfast places, McDonald and pharmacy just around the corner. Tesco metro is 2 min away past the McDonald. Tram is one block away and free city bus no.3 stop also very close.

All in all, excellent location and staff, clean rooms with a bit chill in the nights and hard to beat value for money.

Room Tip: stay away from the elevators and streets. Quiet room are outlooking the inner garden which is very b...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank roy79
Thank you for taking time to leave a review about your recent visit to us at Portland Street Premier Inn. We take all feedback seriously good or bad.

If in future if you stay with us if you ever have problems finding the hotel please do give us a call and our reception team will guide you as much as they can. They have great knowledge of the local area and will be able to assist you if you find yourself feeling a bit lost.

We do try as much as possible to honor guest requests so that we can help your journey become part of our success as a team.

I would like to apologize for the noise that you endured during your stay. We take our guests having a good night sleep very seriously here at Premier Inn. I will look into why this has happened to ensure that this can be reduced as much as possible. If you ever have problems with you AC again in the future, if you call down to reception our team can assist you on the telephone or somebody can come up to your room to sort it out for you to ensure that you get a good nights sleep.

I’m glad that the location was well suited for you and your family to explore Manchester. If you ever need directions our teams are always on hand to help with any enquires you may have.

Again, I would like to thank you for your review and that we see you soon.
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

As usual a good trip had when visiting a premier inn,this one very handy and a nice restaurant ,all in all an enjoyable stay,only complaint they have put soap dispenses in the bath,bring back soap or remember to bring your own,we forgot

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay here at Portland Street Premier Inn.

I hope that you had a wonderful time whilst in Manchester and that we made your journey more memorable.

I would like to apologize for the soap dispensers in the bath. If in future you are not happy with anything such as this please call down to reception and they can assist you as much as possible to ensure your stay is not affected by anything whilst staying in the hotel.

I would like to thank you for taking time to write this review and hope that you visit us again soon.
Durham
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here last night as we were in Manchester to see live music. About 10 minutes walk from the train station which we found convenient. Check in was easy and staff helpful. We were given a room on a 'corner', as the hotel rooms seem to be arranged in a circle. We were pleasantly surprised by the large size of the room, especially as this is a city centre hotel. Clean as usual and comfortable. The sound proof windows meant that we were not disturbed by noise on the Main Street. We ate in the restaurant which we thought was great, a good menu and tasty, well-priced food. The staff in the restaurant are very friendly and welcoming. Breakfast great, everything you want and the food is good quality. We recommend this premier inn for a comfortable stay in the centre of Manchester and we would conduct back here if in manchester again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the review about your recent visit to Manchester and our hotel. I hope that you enjoyed your live music concert.

I will pass on your positive feedback to the restaurant staff I am sure they will be happy to hear good feedback about guest that visit to the restaurant.

I hope that we see you again in Manchester again soon, we look forward to welcoming you back.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I was attending a conference at another hotel on Portland Street, The Premier Inn is the opposite end to Piccadilly Gardens, although only a 5 minutes walk away. A good central location. Quietish location and did have a good nights sleep. As usual the room was clean with everything that I needed. I could n't book in early, but was able to leave my bags in the left luggage room. Lots of good restaurants and pubs close by for evening meals. About a 10 minute walk from Piccadilly Station. Would stop there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your review about your recent stay here with us. I hope that the location was ok for your conference and not too far away.

Sometimes it is possible to check in early, it depends on the occupancy rate of the night before and if there are rooms available for an early check in. I do apologize on this occasion that there was not.

I hope that the hotel was to your satisfaction and that your enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed recently on a Sunday night and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how nice this hotel is. Parking is at the nearby Q Park (thank god for sat nav) which is discounted down to £14 per 24 hours.
We did the £22 meal deal and the 3 course meal was very nice and the breakfast even better. Even though it's very centrally located and on a busy road, we had a good sleep and found it to be quiet.
Lots of shopping nearby and the Arndale Centre is about 10 minutes walk.
Rooms a good size, nice clean bathroom and a good shower. Bed very comfortable too. If I was going back to Manchester I wouldn't hesitate to stop at this hotel again, recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for such a complimentary review about your recent stay with us. I am thrilled to hear that you have been surprised about our hotel from what you expected.

I hope that you had a pleasant time in Manchester. If you ever need directions or recommendations our teams are always hear to make your stay more memorable.

Again, I would like to thank you for the review and hope that we see you in the near future.