We stayed at this hotel over a weekend for a short break and chose it for it's location. Really handy and easy to find, just a short walk from Oxford Road and Piccadilly train stations, and not a bad price for such a central hotel. The reception is quite small but the staff were friendly and the lady who checked me in gave me a map of the city centre and just told us to ask if we needed any help or recommendations during our stay,
Our twin room was standard Premier Inn spec, one double and one single bed. Room and bathroom was spotless - the double mattress was a bit hard but the single was perfectly comfortable. When I booked the room I was warned there may be roadworks going on near the hotel but from our room we couldn't hear any. The whole place was really quiet, couldn't really hear people walking about or slamming doors etc. The shower pressure was good and when we returned to the room on our second day the room had been cleaned and made up for us - my only issue was that they had only left us one bath towel despite the fact that we had requested two.
Whilst the room was perfect, the restaurant was mainly what stopped this review being 5 stars. It is a Thyme restaurant, which I have visited before in other Premier Innsand have come to expect a certain standard. We had a drink in the bar on the Friday night which was nice and reasonably priced - it's small but clean and pleasant. My issue was with breakfast the next morning. I bought the Grab and Go breakfast for two which consisted of two Costa coffees and two croissants. The member of staff who greeted me was friendly but after getting me paper cups for my coffees did not show me where anything was, which is something I've come to expect at Premier Inn and is always a nice touch. One of the coffee machines was broken - this happens, I get it - but with no sign telling customers this. I found the continental selection round the corner but most things were empty - there were only two croissants left and they were cold, hard and squashed. Given that this was the only food available to me with my choice of breakfast I was very disappointed - the staff member who greeted me was busy with other customers and there was nobody else there to ask for fresh croissants, and I had to leave with the two squashed ones because I was in a rush. I understand that levels of food deplete as service goes on but it was still two hours before breakfast ended and the restaurant was nowhere near busy, so I don't really see why the food should have been running out.
Perhaps this is me being picky but as far as other Thyme restaurants go I wasn't really impressed with this one. It's just little things but those little things can affect a customer's experience. Otherwise, the stay was good and I enjoyed my time at this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally situated in the heart of Manchester, Piccadilly train station is just a 10 minute walk and there are tram links to Manchester Old Trafford stadium, Manchester City stadium, and Media City Uk. Attractions nearby include Canal Street, Oxford Road, Palace and Opera House theatres and lots of bars and restaurants. Passes for nearby gym facilities are available please enquire at reception. Parking is available at a discounted rate (approx £14.50 per over night stay) at the Q Park on St James St - M1 4LX. Voucher is available from hotel reception upon departure. Our Manchester (Portland Street) Premier Inn has everything you'd expect, incredibly comfy beds in every room and an integrated restaurant serving a mix of traditional and contemporary dishes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Premier Inn and TripOnline SA so you can book your Premier Inn Manchester City Centre - Portland Street reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Portland Street) Hotel Manchester
- Premier Inn Portland Street
- Travel Inn Manchester