“Great stay in Manchester”

Premier Inn Manchester City Centre - Portland Street
Ranked #33 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This hotel was great value for money friendly staff and a great location. The room was clean and comfortable. The car park was easy to find and I thought good value for money. I would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
RuthQuinn, Operational Manager at Premier Inn Manchester City Centre - Portland Street, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with us here in Manchester.

I am glad that you found everything ok with your stay and that you would use us again.

I hope that you had a wonderful time whilst visiting the hotel and hope that we see you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,846)

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Could not believe how cheap it was for two of us to stay for two nights especially with the location of this hotel. We were in Manchester for a show and this hotel was very close to this venue, great shops and many restaurants in the city centre.Automated Check in was quick and easy and the staff were very pleasant. Rooms were clean comfortable and functional, a few more teabags would have been good but Im sure we would have just had to ask. I wouldnt hesitate to recommened this hotel for location and value and would stay here again! We didnt eat in it so cant comment on the food.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent review about your stay here with us at Portland Street Premier Inn.

I am happy that you found our location good and was not too far a walk for your show.

Regarding the tea bags. If you ask at reception for tea bags they will be more than happy to supply you with them that is not a problem.

If you decide to stay with us in the future, I would recommend trying our breakfast to kick start your day. We have many selections such as a continental breakfast to an all you can eat breakfast. I am sure you would not be disappointed.

We hope that we see you checking in with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Exceptionally clean and a very warm welcome. The staff at dinner and breakfast could not do enough for you and they were always happy to help and bring you anything you needed. Luis was a very charming waiter and was extremely friendly and helpful. The food at dinner and breakfast was to a very high standard and delicious! Our room was very clean with the added luxury of a power shower and tea and coffee making facilities. Overall we had a very positive experience and will be returning in the very near future. Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

It is always very nice to hear good things about our staff and that they are making our guests feel welcome. As you have pointed out Luis I will forward this feedback onto him, as I am sure he will appreciate your kind words.

I am very pleased that you have decided that you will be returning to us in the near future. As a team this makes us feel very proud that our guests are returning from previous experiences.

We hope that we see you checking in with us again very soon.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel over a weekend for a short break and chose it for it's location. Really handy and easy to find, just a short walk from Oxford Road and Piccadilly train stations, and not a bad price for such a central hotel. The reception is quite small but the staff were friendly and the lady who checked me in gave me a map of the city centre and just told us to ask if we needed any help or recommendations during our stay,

Our twin room was standard Premier Inn spec, one double and one single bed. Room and bathroom was spotless - the double mattress was a bit hard but the single was perfectly comfortable. When I booked the room I was warned there may be roadworks going on near the hotel but from our room we couldn't hear any. The whole place was really quiet, couldn't really hear people walking about or slamming doors etc. The shower pressure was good and when we returned to the room on our second day the room had been cleaned and made up for us - my only issue was that they had only left us one bath towel despite the fact that we had requested two.

Whilst the room was perfect, the restaurant was mainly what stopped this review being 5 stars. It is a Thyme restaurant, which I have visited before in other Premier Innsand have come to expect a certain standard. We had a drink in the bar on the Friday night which was nice and reasonably priced - it's small but clean and pleasant. My issue was with breakfast the next morning. I bought the Grab and Go breakfast for two which consisted of two Costa coffees and two croissants. The member of staff who greeted me was friendly but after getting me paper cups for my coffees did not show me where anything was, which is something I've come to expect at Premier Inn and is always a nice touch. One of the coffee machines was broken - this happens, I get it - but with no sign telling customers this. I found the continental selection round the corner but most things were empty - there were only two croissants left and they were cold, hard and squashed. Given that this was the only food available to me with my choice of breakfast I was very disappointed - the staff member who greeted me was busy with other customers and there was nobody else there to ask for fresh croissants, and I had to leave with the two squashed ones because I was in a rush. I understand that levels of food deplete as service goes on but it was still two hours before breakfast ended and the restaurant was nowhere near busy, so I don't really see why the food should have been running out.

Perhaps this is me being picky but as far as other Thyme restaurants go I wasn't really impressed with this one. It's just little things but those little things can affect a customer's experience. Otherwise, the stay was good and I enjoyed my time at this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sam281091

Thank you for leaving a review about your visit to Manchester Premier Inn Portland Street. It is always nice to hear our guests having a good stay with us.

I would like to apologize about the service you endured during breakfast, this standard is not acceptable by the hotel and I will now look into why this has happened to ensure that this does not happen in the future. I am sorry that on this occasion we have failed you.

We hope that we see you visiting us again soon.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed here in early January, Cheap and cheerful, very clean, staff friendly, beds comfy, exactly what was expected for a short stay would definitely stay here next time I need quick cheap accommodation, thank you

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for your recent review about your visit here to Portland Street Premier Inn.
I hope that you had a wonderful time whilst visiting the hotel and you enjoyed your short stay in the city.
It is always very nice to hear that our guests will return, this is very much appreciated. We hope that we see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

First night was lovely but a screening row by people on the same floor and outside the hotel woke me at 2.30am and I could not use the room phone as it was broken! No answer from reception when I called from my mobile. The noise stopped an hour later!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
RuthQuinn, Operational Manager at Premier Inn Manchester City Centre - Portland Street, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Thank you for your review about your recent stay here with us at Portland Street Premier Inn.

I am very sorry about the noise that you have endured during your visit with us. Here at Premier Inn we take our guests having a great night sleep very seriously and on this occasion we have most certainly failed you. I am not sure how this has happened with the phone not working in your room and I will be opening an investigation why nobody has answered the call from your mobile.

We try very hard to keep noise levels down at the hotel but on this occasion its looks like this has not happened. I am very sorry for this.

If you decide to give us another chance, we very much look forward to seeing you.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Don't be put off by the entrance! Once into hotel proper there is good, clean accommodation available for a city stay and great value for money. Easy access for trams ect. to get to most places of interest

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the review about your recent stay with us.

I hope that you enjoyed your time in Manchester and we as a hotel made your stay more memorable for the period that you were here.

I hope that we see you visiting us again soon.