“Disappointed”

Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park
Ranked #73 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 7 June 2013

The greeting we got on arrival was not what I would expect - to be advised that the hotel had over booked and they were going to move us to a different hotel even though I had booked it six months ago. Had I not stood my ground I would not have been offered a room. They did offer taxis to and from the event but how on earth was a taxi supposed to pick us up bearing in mind there were 60,000+ attending the concert!!

We were put into a small room which was very clean/good decor - however my husband did not like the location - only 2 doors away from the reception and the car park immediately outside of the window but as the receptionist had done his best to get us the room and we were only staying one night I was not going to insist being relocated. We were a bit worried as the area for the smokers was right outside our window that we would be disturbed if anyone was in the bar late on the evening.

I wish we had done a full recky before we insisted on staying here rather than being moved into the City Centre. I booked this hotel as it was described as a 10 minute walk from the Etihad Stadium and tram line to the centre of Manchester. It was in fact over half an hour's walk away (over an hour round trip) - and as it was a weekend - through a very deserted industrial estate. No amenities nearby at all where we could eat or drink - had to eat in the hotel and the menu for lunch/dinner was a bit limited. Had it not been for a few of the other guests going to the same event at the stadium I would not have felt very safe walking back to the hotel after the concert in the dark.

If I do go to a concert there again I will probably stay in the City Centre where we usually do in the Printworks area and just get the tram to the Stadium.

On the plus side though the staff were very helpful with requests and the breakfast selection was lovely.

Room Tip: Don't get one on the ground floor near carpark/reception/smokers bay.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
GeneralManager888, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback, which I have shared with my team. My apologies for the lapse in service during your stay, your booking was incorrectly handled at the time of check in and this has been addressed with our Reception team. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience and unsettling experience.
We do advertise our location on our website as we are not in the city centre location and my apologies if you felt that this was not walking distance to the stadium. We do always try to provide accurate directions to ensure that the minimal distance is covered.
I am pleased however that you found our staff to be helpful and the breakfast selection lovely.

Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

This is the second time I've attended a course at this hotel and it's a brilliant venue.
I have never stayed overnight, but two on our course did and I heard very good comments from them.
We were using the academy rooms on the top floor, pastries and coffee were served at each break and lunch was also included in the restaurant. The food was fantastic, different everyday, tasty and hot. The two girls in the restaurant were very friendly and helpful.
We were looked after by Dean, a superbly attentive and friendly young man, who made sure we were happy. He's a credit to the hotel, cracking sense of humour too.
I'd happily recommend this as a venue for training etc, big car park too which is always a bonus.

• Stayed: May 2013
GeneralManager888, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Dear Ruth
Glad you had another enjoyable conference and that you and your colleagues enjoyed the food and our lovely staff. I will certainly pass this on to them with thanks.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Stayed for three nights for business purposes. The staff were friendly and helpful - both in the restaurant and at the front desk. The restaurant was a plus - with good breakfasts. The rooms are in need of an update - my headboard was also torn (see previous reviewer comments). However, in contrast, the towels were some of the best I have experienced! The bathrooms were clean and the shower pressure and temperature were excellent. So some "plusses" but do not expect luxury. My bill was not accurate and needed to be reprinted - but this was done cheerfully and quickly.Safes were available, but in an alcove off the lobby. Would be nice to have a safe in the room.Thank you to the staff of the hotel for your hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManager888, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2013

Dear Pam
You're more than welcome! Glad you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We stayed for two nights while visiting friends in the Burnley area. Room was clean and staff were very friendly and accommodating. Since we weren't familiar with the area and had no car, we ate at the hotel's restaurant for dinner our first night. What an excellent meal! We had the three course meal with beef and Yorkshire pudding and absolutely the most delicious hot chocolate pudding with vanilla ice cream for dessert!!! My compliments to the chef! Every staff person that we dealt with was professional and helpful. Our second night, there was an incident due to a hotel guest overflowing the bathtub. Water leaked down through the ceilings into the reception area. It was nice to see that staff members from several different areas (reception, kitchen, maids) were all pulling together to take care of this problem. We were disappointed that there was no shuttle to the airport like we thought when we booked the room but staff ordered us a taxi for the next morning and helped us with our boarding passes.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear JH
Glad to hear you had a great time and enjoyed the food and the genuine friendliness of our team. See you again next time.
Kind Regards Lucja Leonard, General Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights for the rugby league magic weekend. Overall hotel ok but could do with a bit of a revamp. Like a previous review the headboard was damaged, we were in room 109 and there was some stains on the carpet, otherwise the room and hotel was pretty clean. Staff who we spoke to were polite and had a smile. We only ate in the hotel once and that was for a breakfast ( Nice but over priced )
The hotel is in a run down area, and not much around, a garrage which sells a meal deal ( sandwich, crisps and drink ) We went into the city and a taxi cost £8 - £9. A lot of the reviews on here complain about the location, but anyone with half a brain and does a little research would find that out before they book.
The reason we booked the hotel was to be close to the Etihad stadium ( about 30 - 35 min walk ) If we were wanting the city centre it would not be suitable, but within easy walking distance for stadium events

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager888, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Dear Paul
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and you found our location to be suitable for your visit to Manchester. As I have mentioned previously, we are currently working through a soft refurbishment of our bedrooms which includes the recovering of the headboards to bring this up to standard.
We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Manchester.

Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. 5min drive to the town. Paid £55. Room was clean although the headboard was ripped and not what you would expect from this hotel chain. I stayed in room 103 and I all could hear all night was the sound of the air con fans that were on the flat rood outside my window. Had I been asked how my stay was and If I wasn't pushed for time I would normally have mentioned it. I will be contacting the hotel very shortly in writing.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Pete
We pride ourselves on our property upkeep and attention to detail, but clearly we were not up to standards on your stay, and for that I am truly sorry. We are working to a light refurbishment program at present which includes the recovering of the headboards.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

So glad I was only paying the corporate rate of £65 B&B, because there i sno way on earth you would pay the advertised rates! The staff are lovely and very welcoming and friendly but everything is is poor to average.

The decor is shabby in places, extreme interference on the TV (almost unwatchable) and the double bed was two single beds pushed together and covered with a double duvet (the beds weren't zipped together).

I ate in the bar in the first evening and it was horrid. Everything including the bun for the burger appeared to have been dropped in the fryer! After that I ate out at TGI Fridays which was close to a gym I was using.

Not a nice area but very close and convenient for my offices which were only a 3 min drive away. I was grateful for the 10ft security fence surrounding the car park!

Next time I will choose somewhere in the city and endure a longer drive to the office.

Room Tip: Possibly okay for one night......if its close to your offices......but othewrwise stay somewhere els...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManager888, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester Central Park, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Dear Jeremy
We pride ourselves on our property upkeep and attention to detail and are currently working to a maintenance program to soft refurbish our rooms.
I have investigated your booking and the room booked was booked as a standard room in which the bed type cannot be guaranteed, hence your booking was allocated a twin room so the bedding was set up as 2 singles, with 2 single duvets. I apologies that this was not to your satisfaction.
I am disappointed in relation to your comments regarding the food as this is normally an area that we receive very positive comments on. I have addressed this my chef for further investigation.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention as it is only through constant customer feedback that we can continue to improve.