“A must, it's free, interesting and needs our support”

Greater Manchester Police Museum
Ranked #7 of 189 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Come and explore our 1879 Police Station! Inside we have Uniform, Crime and Transport displays as well as the station itself in which you can see the original Charge Office, Cells and an 1895 Magistrates Courtroom from Denton. Our volunteers, many of whom are retired officers will be on hand to chat to and answer any of your questions about life on the beat. The museum is open to the public on Tuesdays, but tours by appointment can be made on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays & Fridays. Free entry!
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Please check opening times, it's only open on a Tuesday and occasional Thursday. The volunteers are enthusiastic and animated regarding the history of the station and the police. Lots of hands on (including smelling the soap!) exhibits. It's a good way to spend a few free hours in the city Centre. I parked in dale st car park -£5 for the day.

1  Thank extratowelsplease

Reviewed 10 June 2014

The police museum is full of wonderful facts about the police force since the 19th century and had some brilliant exhibits. All the volunteers are extremely helpful and knowledgeable and it is well worth a visit for anyone of any age. Can't wait to have another visit!!

1  Thank JanBe2014
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The museum is small but amazing. I visited with my 5 year old son and he really enjoyed it. The staff were extremely helpful and happy to explain each section in the museum. My son had a chance to sit and police car, the officer was kind enough to put the lights on for him which of course he loved. My favourite part of the visit had to be the cells it was very interesting and informative, it had all the original beds.
It was fun trying on the range of police hats and jackets we took lots of fun pictures.

I would 100% recommend a visit, just remember its only open Tuesday term time and Tuesday and Thursday during half term

1  Thank Laurelle A
Reviewed 7 June 2014

It was really brilliant to begin with , unfortunately, the students I was travelling with made a bee line to the nearest pub, ashamed to say I joined them since we had shared transport and I did not want to be lost in Manchester.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

This small museum is a fab place to visit. Having only recently found out about it, we decided it was worth a visit. It didn't disappoint.
The guides, all ex police, are really friendly and helpful and have some great stories to tell!! We enjoyed it all, they have cells, a courthouse, lots of interesting pieces to look at... You even get to try on the uniform!
A brilliant way to spend a couple of hours, thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely return

1  Thank Stellapop