“Return to the Hall”

Ranked #259 of 2,274 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$9 - US$26
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Worsley Old Hall, in Worsley on the northern side of Manchester, is something a bit special: it is probably best described as being a country house pub...Nothing else quite seems to fit the bill. Although the building is on an impressive scale, it is not a grand place: you'll find a large curved bar right at the heart of the building, with lots of nooks and crannies round and about with open fires for those who prefer to tuck themselves away, and plenty of busier rooms for those who enjoy a happy buzz about the place. There really is nowhere else quite like it....And on a sunny day outside, with views across the golf course, it is to die for.
Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
“Return to the Hall”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I am in a somewhat strange situation in terms of this one as I stayed at the hall in the 1960s with my grandparents when the building was used as offices for the (then) National Coal Board. I must admit that I think the building, its grounds and interior have been very sympathetically renovated (it's spectacular both inside and outside). The building has magnificient loos! The hall has also been effectively modified for people with restricted access problems and parking is profuse. The location also caters very well for young children with swings and a painted, old tractor. I thought the food (I had spinach soup followed by shoulder of lamb with roast potatoes, a nice assembly of vegetables and a red wine jus was tasty and well-cooked. Service was efficient and friendly. The only down side was the coffee that I found to be on the insipid side.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Great choice of food, beautifully prepared.”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This is my second visit to Worsley Old Hall and again I was very pleased with the atmosphere, service and food. Great choice on the menu, would recommend this restaurant for an informal gathering!

Manchester, United Kingdom
“think twice”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Visited Worsley old hall for a family meal on Tuesday night looks like the restraunt and bar has had a facelift recently looked nice and clean disappointed with the menu only one choice of steak ,so I ordered the rump steak ,arrived well presented but took a lot of chewing not cheap for a very average meal the rest of the family seemed well pleased with their meals but some were overfaced with the large portions overall not a bad experience but could do with a bit of tweaking of the menu, the staff were very very helpful and went the extra mile for everyone

Cheshire
“Had better”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I'm a Brunning and Price fan however must say was a touch disappointed with Worsley Old Hall. Service was not great – we must have been served by 6 or 7 different people, none of who showed any particular warmth or genuine interest. Prices were no higher than any other B&P outlet but the meals today (Sunday roasts, pie and mash, sausage and mash etc.) didn’t seem to be especially worth the money. Well done on bringing this lovely old building back to life and it was an especially busy Sunday but I wonder of the chain are expanding too rapidly.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Digby98
Manchester, United Kingdom
“First time visit.”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I wish I had taken the time to read the TripAdvisor reviews for Worsley Old Hall before visiting for lunch today. Looking at the 9 terrible rated reviews, which are All from 2014, it does not make for good reading, in fairness there are lots of excellent reviews as well.
It was not very busy when we arrived and were invited to take our pick of the many tables available in a very pleasant dining area and the large well maintained outside beer garden, it is a very well appointed building inside and out.
We took a table in the window facing the bar, and a very pleasant and polite young man took our drinks order, returned very smartly and took our food order. The menu has plenty to choose from with starters, mains which did seem too expensive, and sandwiches on the reverse side with, desserts and coffees. Considering we only ordered two sandwiches and a portion of chips and it was not busy, we were the only ones in the large bar area, it took a while for food to arrive. The sandwiches were OK, nothing exciting but compared with mains food expensive, piri piri wrap was £6.95 and tuna mayonnaise £6.50, small chunky chip portion was £3.50, but good chips. The one thing I found uncomfortable was a member of the staff, possibly the duty manager, sat at a large table doing paperwork and using a lap top/phone, also appeared to be observing the staff in and around the bar.
The total bill for a pint and a half of Becks, two sandwiches, portion of chips and two lattes was £27.80, a tad expensive we thought.At the Moorings down Leigh Road you can have 2 meals for £10 and 2 lattes for under £15.
After reading other reviews, poor service, price and some food issues have been noted, but today apart from a slightly slow food service, and price there was nothing to stop us returning to try the menu again. The staff were very efficient and friendly, but top marks to the young man who took our drink and food order, I think he was called Sam.

Visited June 2014