“Not very nice”

Ranked #22 of 26 Manchester B&B and Inns
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Not very nice”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is the worst place I have ever stayed in the rooms were ok but service was terrible I didn't feel safe in there atall the whole weekend!! People that worked there were even smoking whilst working on reception!! If you like clean and friendly this is not the place to stay!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Plymouth124

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Where do I start? The Hendham House Hotel on Beech Street, Manchester is without doubt the worst place I have stayed in my 42 years. I have been camping and stayed in caravans as well as some of the finest and most budget of hotels. This place is disgusting and rowdy until the sun comes up. If you have ANY standards at all you will not want to stay here.

I was booked in for 3 nights. At £95 for the whole stay I was not expecting a great deal, but I was expecting standard cleanliness and some sleep each night. I was mistaken. The only good things about this hotel was that they had wifi at £5 extra for the whole stay and I was able to park on their driveway - staff were friendly but clueless.

To call this a hotel is a massive overstatement. It is a Bed and Breakfast. The building looks okay from the outside although it’s on a dreary looking street in the back of beyond.

The whole building needs refurbishment. I can appreciate what they were trying to do with the retro style of decoration and if the building had been looked after they could have pulled it off but it was falling apart and I did not even feel safe going up their stairs as there were gaps where the wall and staircase should have met.

On first glance the room looked lovely but having watched Channel 4′s Four in a Bed I knew I should look further. On closer inspection it was absolutely filthy and falling apart. The throw on the bed had what looked like snot on it as well as some stains that looked like yoghurt or something of similar consistency – obviously I’m being optimistic here! The white pillow cases, sheets and towels showed up many stains and I was glad that I had brought my own. I wrapped myself in my own duvet cover each night because I did not want their sheets to touch my skin. It certainly wasn’t a nice feeling.

There was one working socket in the room which had an extension plugged into it and another plugged into that and I have to wonder if they’ve had a safety inspection. Having had responsibility for Fire Safety I do not believe that the lower fire door would pass any inspection.

The wardrobe and drawer unit needed replacing. A piece of wood fell out from behind the drawers almost catching my foot. There were cigarette burn stains on the bed and part of it looked like a fire had started to take hold on the bed frame. Underneath the bed had not been swept for months.

For the number of rooms there was a severe shortage of bathrooms. There was fecal matter in the toilet nearest to me.

The showers were so small you could barely lift your leg to wash your feet. The water kept filling up in the shower tray which I did not want at all as the shower was also nasty. There was no way I was taking a bath in the place and that was the one thing I was looking forward to as we do not have a bath at home only a wetroom with a shower.

People kept knocking on my door at all hours of the night shouting for people who weren't me. I had driven up from London for a spa weekend but couldn't spare the money to stay where the treatments were and I ended up only staying the one night and getting a refund for the rest cutting my break short. If it were the only hotel in Manchester, I would not stay here again! Photos of the dirt I came across are on my blog!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Nicolette G

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Wakefield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

I booked to stay here three weeks prior to the date of arrival which was the 5th October to find on the day of the booking (at 6.30pm) that our rooms had been doubled booked, along with a boat-load of other people in the same situation.

The hotel was over booked- and when I say over booked I mean EXTREMLEY over booked, people were arriving left right and centre for rooms that quite simply weren't available.
The lady on reception (I think she was called Jennifer) was unprofessional, rude and very unhelpful- she adopted the "it's not my problem" attitude.

I would advise everybody to avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ellie a
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

THE WORST "HOTEL" I HAVE EVER STAYED IN! When I turned up I was met by the rudest receptionist by the name of Jennifer who told me she didn't have my booking and they were already overbooked. I told her I had made it over a month ago and paid a deposit. She was immensely unhelpful and so I had to sit around while she dealt with the other customers. As I sat there 5 other sets of people turned up who she "didn't have bookings for", more like lost the bookings! Finally I was found a room, but the saga did not end there, the room was dirty, the bathroom looked like it had not been cleaned in months and the bedroom door had large holes in, would not close properly and the lock was broken!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Daniel C
oldham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

My nephew and his friends live in Norfolk and came to visit Manchester for the weekend. He booked in to Hendam House Hotel in Harpurhey, Manchester. . After arriving at this Hotel they went to there room. What a dump no lighting no toilet and no shower it was all on the next floor, which was rather inconvenient if you had to get up in the night. I have read many different reviews on this Hotel and it definitely gives a false impression of the staff and the place. My Nephew asked for his money back and they refused point blank. The woman there was called Jennifer and she was very rude talking to him. After all that he had to leave the Hotel and find a more suitable accommodation for the night. My advice to you all is if you ever visit Manchester stay well clear of this dodgy Hotel.

Room Tip: Keep well away from this Hotel, everyone because it is the pits.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank rockstarOldham
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

In all fairness came with a party of fourteen girls, but as entered street buildings across the road all boarded up. Thes staff were helpful when arrived and rooms quickly sorted ot as arrived early, other gusets looked like homeless residents, first room offered no lock on door and smelt of cats pea, were told staff would lock door as availabe 24 hours, complained offered other room small but appeared clean other party rooms on first site okay. furnishings all very nice. Discovered all bathrooms were disgusting not cleaned toilets with faeces all over broken tiolet seats, taps on sink broken very dirty covered in scum and hairs, showers dirty marks on floor of shower and would not come off disgusty mould on ceilings and floors covered in hair. ligkts did not work, whole weekend we were unwashed thank god for baby wipes a must if you stay here.
Lots of people arriving going mad as they had paid £40 a night.
TVS not worked in room lighting terrible in some rooms and wires hanging from room 22 ceiling, bedroom floors not washed and room 22 had what apperaed to be a very large snot on the floor. Hair all over bedroom on closer inspectionpillows stunk and mattresses terrible
Offered continental breakfast the coffee vey foul cheap powdered smart price coffee and cakes and fruit stood all day, room covered in flies dont eat there ever.
They state they offer room service, full english breakfast and other food on menu this untrue.
As for 24 hour staffing untrue so how the hell was there staff to unlock doors for room 21 . Iam reporting this hotel to the approriate authoritys

Room Tip: find a room with a lock on. take lots of clean equipment and cleaning products, bleach a most
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 725murray12725
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

We came here for my birthday on Saturday the 21st of September. I booked a deluxe double, a double and a triple room. When we arrived we were showed to a double double room which was a dive! The beds were rock hard and mirror was snapped off the wall, the whole building stinks and the staff are rude and not bothered at all about customer rights. We went down and complained as we weren't happy with our rooms. We were told that we would have to wait for the manager as no one can deal with this sort of problem but him (Dominic) Jennifer told us that she didn't know when he would be back. She was very rude and spoke to us like dirt. We booked somewhere else to stay and came back the next morning to be faced by Jennifer again who was again extremely rude to us and wasent bothered at all about us. She walked off from us and started to clean the rooms. We sat in the bar area and waited for hours and still no manager. We asked Jennifer for some kind of letter with proof that we would get a refund and she wrote it on a piece of scrap paper with no proof that it was her. The whole place is an absolute joke and I advise very strongly for anyone not to stay here!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013