“Dave the host made our stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hendam House Hotel

Hendam House Hotel
Ranked #22 of 26 Manchester B&B and Inns
Hertsberge, Belgium
“Dave the host made our stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

We loved Dave! Place was clean and tidy but needs updating. Very homely and welcoming with a great atmosphere! 10 of us stayed here over the weekend and we rolled in at ridiculous o'clock and Dave made as cups of tea etc! Feeling the love... ;-)

• Stayed January 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Me and my partner stayed here for one night which was more than enough. I'd never really bothered looking up hotels before visiting but after this I do now. We wanted somewhere cheap and granted it was but we were expecting a little bit more.

The hotel itself is in a very rough area with youths hanging around and situated opposite boarded up derelict youth housing that would be suited in any modern horror movie. The parking is round the back next to buckets, old tvs, drink bottles etc etc..
The building is really shabby and dirty.

On arrival the front of the hotel looks very dated and abandoned however going through the front door you are welcomed by a very nice hallway/reception. This was ruined by a pretty unenthusiastic receptionist who greeted us as if we had just pointed a gun at him. I don't tend to judge hotels on receptionists but once he managed to build up the energy to be bothered to get our keys for our room we left and went up to our room/cupboard.

After five minutes in our cupboard I realized that there was a draft coming in through the gap in the window (onlooking the derelict youth housing) and that the heating wasn't working so I went back down to reception where the manager was now. The manager was actually very friendly and offered us another room which we accepted.

Once in our new room which was much larger and with an improved view of a fence and a hedge we got settled before getting ready for our concert that night. It was however hard to settle when there was a strong smell of hash in our room but I guess that was a debatable substitute for the other room we were in.

Overall pretty poor but had I not been so naive i'd have checked tripadvisor and avoided this place but I guess it done the job for a one night stay and it was cheap but I wouldn't go back.

I'd say I probably wouldn't have minded this hotel if I was with all my mates and needed a place to crash after a heavy night out but I get the feeling I'd be a little nervous if my girlfriend said she was staying here with her friends.

GOOD - cheap, friendly owner, taxi only 5/10 mins to centre

BAD - location, cleanliness, smell, shared bathroom/toilet (we knew about that though)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank danielallan1990

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Darlington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

The advert for this place does not seem too bad, and with it being so cheap and close to where I wanted to go, why would I not choose here?!

I will tell you why I would now, not choose here..

I turned up and there were two members of staff on the reception. One of them was so slouched relaxed, headphones in, on his phone and could not care less. The other, she looked like she was being forced to be there and had no interest whatsoever. Both looked to be in another world.

Their card payment machine wouldn't accept my card, and they kept putting it down to my own fault, despite me using the same card to prebook and on the way for travelling. Fine, okay, cash wasn't a problem. I was taken to my room, and all that was said was "Oh, it's already open for you. There you go". and she left! No explanation as to the kitchen facilities, shower/toilet facilities etc. I was not even given a key.

The room looked nice enough, spacious bed and wardrobe, a chair and table, as well as a dressing table. Fine, but still no key. I went back down to Reception and enquired about a key, I was informed there was no key for the room, but if I wanted to leave and gain access back in, just ask them.. I couldn't even lock the room if I wanted to leave and come back.

The whole establishment smelt strongly of 'weed', which would verify why the staff looked so out of it and uninterested. The bathroom was reasonably clean in general, the toilet was not so clean and the bath/shower was even worse.. I dared not even get a shower, just a wash in the basin. There were no towels provided anyway, which is a shock for a "hotel". Luckily, I always take my own. The bed itself was not too bad, the mattress is soon to be looking to be replaced, but it probably won't.

The price menu was overly expensive.. Almost £8, for burger and chips?! Not that I would dare risk the food. On departure, when I looked around the room for anything I may have left behind, I found the room key on the floor underneath the dressing table. Funnily enough, it worked! The door was in bad state, there were three locks on the door. One being a typical house front door yale lock, which had it's 'socket'? ripped out of the wall; there is just a hole. Another being a more fancy lock, which did absolutely nothing. It was just sitting on the door, actually it was just a handle, with no lock? The last was a little turn lock on the bottom, this did work!

When I left there was nobody at the desk, or to be seen.

Would I stay here again? No.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank traveller4872
Bangor, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed at this accommodation in January 2014 due to the fact it was so cheap, and most of our group are students. We were fooled by the word "Hotel" in the accommodation title and were shocked to find that it was actually a disgusting looking B&B. Our rooms were bland, and rusty and STANK of weed. One of the staff members dropped a bag of weed on the floor as he showed us to our rooms - this showing that it wasn't the guests that were weed smokers. We thought that this was highly unprofessional.

We were told that our room didn't have a key, and then were baffled when a staff member approached us with a key to the room. There was one bathroom on each floor to share with everyone. Uch! Didn't use the shower because it looked horrible. Also, we thought that towels would be supplied, we were wrong so we couldn't shower even if we wanted to.

The bed was full of crumbs and the mattress was hard and springy and was slightly on slant. I slept on my jumper because I felt dirty and was desperate to get out of the place. We had holes in our curtains. When we entered the room, our window was wide open, and the window sill was soaking because it was raining. Someone had obviously been smoking a joint in the room before we arrived. This might explain the hole in the curtains?

The staff were fine, lovely woman on reception - nice and friendly. They booked us taxis to and from places, and were very helpful in this way.

I felt like I needed to wash my hands after touching stuff. The place is an absolute dump. For what we paid.. I just expected a clean bed and bathroom, but we didn't even get that. I was glad to get home and wash that place off my skin!!!

To be fair, this place would be better for men rather than women, seeing as men aren't as fussy. I would recommend that young girls stay away as it is not a usual B&B.

Also, the rooms don't look anything like they do on the "hotel" website! False advertisement.

But on a serious note, I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. Would never stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ffion J
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

I booked in here, and was given a cup of coffee on arrival, the staff were the friendliest people I have ever come across in a hotel and this is the cheapest hotel I have ever stayed in, FREE PARKING.... WARM room with everything i could wish for, this hotel is unbeatable for service and comfort, the lady on reception CAME OUT TO HELP WITH MY LUGGAGE ! I honestly am amazed at the level of customer service, these people would put name brand hotels to shame, will definately revisit here, it would be my first choice of hotel in manchester from now on

Room Tip: Room 21 is very nice
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mum2013
Amman Governorate, Jordan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed here on 21 dec 2013 limited parking, the receptionist was rude we went to check in she told us to sit down after about 10 mins when she finished with her phone she gave us our key. We went to turn the tv on and we could not find the remote spoke to receptionist she just said its not working and that was that. There was a battered blood stained lamp with no bulb in. Bed sheets were filthy. Holes in the walls. 2 bathrooms one upstairs and one down so if someone is in the shower you cant use the toilet I would have thought they would have had other toilets. There was mould on the celing cracked floor tiles shower was filthy I think I would have felt dirtier coming out of the shower than going in! Do not stay here!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank scarlets91
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

On arrival, there was a definite vibe of a very very dodgy area of Manchester. However it was close enough to the city centre, very very cheap and seeing as we were only in the hotel to sleep off our hangovers we weren't too fussed. The staff were a bit overwhelmed as 3 groups had arrived at the same time so there was a bit of a wait and some disorganisation. I had thought I had booked a triple room but we were given two double rooms which was a good thing. However one of the rooms didn't have a lock, this would have been more of an issue if we had any valuable things with us, luckily we didn't so we just put our things in one room. The bathroom and toilet are shared, the toilet and sink were fairly clean but none of us used the shower just in case. The staff were okay, gave us a taxi number but didn't apologise about the lack of lock or offer a solution. It was noisy at night when people came in through the door but again that was expected as our room was the first one on top of the suitcase. The most annoying thing was that the light from the hall shone in to my room which kept me awake more so than the noise. Also room 3 (the room I slept in) has a very noisy boiler in it which makes the room quite hot.

Overall for £60 for 3 people, 1 night and 2 rooms, it served its purpose. Probably wouldn't be coming back just because next time I will pay more for a better night's sleep and to be in a better area (lots of unsavoury characters around).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends