“HALFWAY HOUSE” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hendam House Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hendam House Hotel
Ranked #21 of 27 Manchester B&B and Inns
“HALFWAY HOUSE”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

DO NOT STAY HERE. This house is absolutely disgusting!! Broken beds, dirty shared toilets covered in faeces and clogged shower/bath,no room keys,damp rooms STINKING of marijuana and cigarettes. So out of the centre as me and my friends went for a night out in an area that looks like the slums as all buildings surrounding are boarded up. Our taxi driver told us we were staying in the roughest area of Manchester where it is full of drugs and hooligans. The male owner offered us a lift in his "taxi" to town after standing smoking marijuana right infront of us. ALSO in 2 out the 4 rooms the smoke alarms were covered with previous guests socks, this is a MAJOR health and safety issue. The staff were rudr and unhelpful one of our group asked for a room key the response she recieved was "I cant materialise keys from nowhere can I" very simple to get a key for your room you would think they would already have them no? We only stayed for one night a group of 12 of us and dont get me wrong the rooms werent particularly dirty and they were nicely decorated with plenty room to get ready in but I would NEVER EVER EVER go back to that place it literally was like a halfway house for yobs.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Shannon S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Bangor, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Think of the TV series Shameless set in Chatsworth Estate, and this is where this 'hotel' should be located. If you are a young lad who does not care how clean a place is, and all you want to do is party and get off your head all night and smoke in your room, then this place is perfect! All other people STAY WELL CLEAR!
This place is like some sort of halfway house. Dirty, smelly, scruffy. I'm sure the caretaker was dealing too, as lots of young lads in trackies hanging about and looking dogdy. Stayed one night then me an my girlfriends went to the Marriott instead.

Room Tip: Check-in somewhere else!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Valletta, Malta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We were very disappointed with our room at hendham house 'hotel'. We were aware that we booked a basic room with shared toilet facilities but we never expected such a disaster. First of all the 3 mattresses in the room were not suited for anyone to sleep on, the springs dug into our body . It was shocking and very uncomfortable, we couldn't sleep which for a start really spoilt the first 3 nights of our holiday. We had informed the 'management' about the problem after our first night and still nothing was done. Besides that the furniture was all broken! We had never before experienced booking a room in a hotel, hostel or B&B with a wardrobe that has a hole in it! The room also has no ventilation at all also presented us with the horrible smell of cigarettes every night, making us dread walking back to hotel every evening. The room aside, the shower in the bathroom did not have cold water! So every shower meant steaming our way through fast! Hand towels were only available on the first night, towels available have surely been very used and so have borderline efficiency. Breakfast needs much to be desired! We have asked for a refund of the money we paid gorgeous this pig sty but to date still no reply.

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maria G
Carlisle, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

me and 2 of my friends stayed here on a Saturday night recently whilst going to see tinie tempeh at the o2, was v easy to find and car park ok round the back. we had the triple room, 3 single beds. on arriving everything was fine, we were checked in quickly and told what number room we were, not shown. the room was OK, I have ocd and I managed fine to stay in the bed for the night, its all decorated v modern but just needs cleaned, the towel on the bed I would not use, I didn't use the shared bathroom except to pee and brush my teeth in morning but would not have had a shower or bath! we literally used this as a place to get glad rags on and somewhere to drunkenly sleep so it was fine, someone who worked at the hotel took us to the o2 Apollo for £10, I would rather have gotton in a taxi if I knew he was going to talk on his phone the whole journey. don't take kids!! but if your just wanting a night out its ok, the taxi home at 3am was £10 also from print works

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Me and my friends went to stay here at the wkend however we ended up going somewhere else! The service of the 'janitor' was shocking he called us stupid and tried tell us it was 6 minutes away from Manchester town center however it took us 25 minutes! It is miles away from anywhere in the center so if your on a night out its not good! It was unsecure so anyone can walk in and out. There were gangs of youths hangin about outside. Most buildings on the street are boarded up and derelict. I got told that was what I get for booking low budget however I ended up staying in a top appartment in the town center staff wore a uniform, with everything we needed and more for less! This hotel should be closed down for false advertisement, cleanliness and rudeness! When I told them I would write a bad review they just turned around and said so it's just like everyone's else then that had stayed here. You would think they would do something about it then but they clearly haven't! The toilet down stairs didn't lock and you couldn't sit on the seat as it was that dirty you may have cought something!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Layla J
Harrogate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

I'm really unsure where to start..arrived at the 'hotel' to be told 1 of our rooms was unavailable and that 3 guests had to stay at the sister hotel. After complaining for over an hour they miraculously found a room from somewhere? None of the party were given a key for the room and we could therefore not lock our rooms and were told that other guests had stolen the keys..great. Rooms had mouldy walls and stank of weed. Shared toilets were dirty and would not reccemend using them. Staff are rude and unhelpful. In a taxi we were told that it was a homeless house and this is what it feels like. The only real positive thing to say is that they are doing a positive thing for the area but would not pay to stay here. Avoid at all costs.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank maxbalda123
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Where do I even start with this place. I booked a room online after looking at the pictures and advertisement, looked a brilliant place for the price I was getting. Upon arrival we came to find it was not a 'hotel' but simply a run down B&B, located at the end of a side street with youths hanging around. We managed to park up in the one of the 3 spaces the have in the drive.

Once inside we were meet with a group of people laughing and telling us that we've a mistake staying here. At first i thought it was a simple joke as we had a bit of a laugh about it. Checking in took the best part of half an hour as they did not believe I booked the room, i showed them proof of the booking and they told us that our room was not even in the building! It was located half a mile down the road in a 'partnership' hotel.

We went over to the other place waited another half an hour only to be told by them that there were actually no rooms available in the building! We were actually stumped and stuck for a solution as there were no rooms in any other hotel in the city due to 'x factor' audition taking place that weekend. We were informed to go back to 'Hendham house' to sort out the room.

Once we got back they told us there was not much they could do about the situation and coming all the way from Leicester was not their problem although they were apologetic the two ladies behind the desk seemed uninterested and didn't bother to reassure us by means of an alternative. We got told by other guests that the rooms were awful and the bathrooms were shared with other guests etc.

In the end we asked for a refund and got told it will take 3-5 days which is expected. I decided to call the hotel after 5 days due to still not being refunded only to be informed the lady dealing with refund only works from 7-11 and take calls from 10-11 which is ridiculous. In explained my situation and got told refunds take up to 4 weeks and people are still waiting from December!!!

Overall just awful service, awful staff, unorganised and unprofessional staff. False advertisement and misleading pictures. Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone and although we did manage to find a room at a premier inn after 3 hours or so as a very last minute resolution i would say turn back and go home rather than stay here. Honestly worst experience with a 'hotel' ever!

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Simple.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends