“Seriously??”

Ranked #43 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Seriously??”
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Stayed April 2012 on business. Great location, but that's about the only positive - I won't be staying here again. My recommendation: AVOID. Having stayed in Hilton Hotels around the world, this has to be the worst experience I've had of this brand. The reception staff appeared more interested in discussing their social life with each other rather than processing people waiting to be checked in. Total lack of professionalism. This also goes for the General Manager whom I overheard making derogatory comments about another guest once they had left the reception area. I can only agree with other reviews here about the poor quality of the rooms - tired and dirty. There were drinks stains on surfaces which hadn't been wiped off. The views across the city are pleasant enough, but hardly consolation for the other things which are lacking. Cleaning is below standard. The toilet in my room appeared to be used as another means of waste disposal, since I found on the second day, contents of the bathroom bin floating in the lavatory bowl (cotton wool buds don't flush and neither does cellophane).

Food in the restaurant is ok. It's a shame that the level of service isn't as stylish as the decor. Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Geni2012
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review, we value your feedback.

I am absolutely horrified to read your comments regarding the manner of the Reception team whilst you were checking in. This is certainly not what I expect from my team members and I can assure you that they have not been trained to deliver this type of service. The Front Office Manager has taken appropriate action.

I would like to take this opportunity to confirm that the team member you witnessed that you believe was myself was not. I am not able to identify this individual team member, however the entire team has been given visibility of your feedback and they have conducted retraining to ensure that this is an isolated incident.

I am sorry that the cleanliness of the room allocated to you was below par and our head Housekeeper has been made aware of your comments as the way in which your room was prepared does not meet with our standards and I am sorry we failed you on this occasion.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the views from the hotel and I do hope that you have a change of heart and return to stay with us on business or indeed on a leisure trip.

John McLaughlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Stayed last week with a bunch of guys for a stag do, the receptionist made us all very welcome and we were promptly booked into our rooms. "Usual Hilton Quality"

Had a couple of drinks in Cloud 23, great views over Manchester, great for taking your wife / girlfriend rather than a bunch of guys.

Excellent breakfast and service the following day.

Overall experience - Excellent.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your positive and feedback with everyone following your stay with us.

I am really pleased that you had a great stay with us and that you had the opportunity to visit Cloud 23.

I hope that you are able to return to the hotel soon.

manchester
Reviewed 24 May 2012

It was my husbands 60th birthday and I had booked a meal in the restaurant for our family total 8 people.We were to have pre dinner drinks but was prevented from doing so because of a corporate evenr I had not been informed of this at booking.The member of staff at the lift was not helpfuk and said "If you have aproblem or complaint see the manager over there" We were not able to go for pre dinner drinks.Avery disappointing experience .The food was good but the ambience in the restaurant is non exsistant. I left feeling totally deflated and disappointed.I would not go again and would advise anyone not to go if it is a special occasion.

Room Tip: didnt stay in hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank linda c
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with everyone.

I empathise completely how frustrating it must have been to not gain access to Cloud 23 on arrival at the hotel.

At the time of your arrival Cloud 23 was hosting a corporate event which brought the bar to maximum capacity; therefore we were unable to permit any further guests into Cloud 23. Unfortunately, due to fire regulations we are restricted to 200 guest’s maximum at any one time on the 23rd floor. I can confirm that our priority in the first instance does lies with our hotel residents and those guests on our guest list when private functions are not taking place.

After speaking with our Cloud 23 Manager, we would have been more than happy to offer you a table 15 minutes following your arrival; however I appreciate that you did not have time to wait. I am pleased that you enjoyed Cloud 23 following your meal and that you enjoyed the food served in Podium Restaurant.

Thank you for your comment regarding the ambience in Podium restaurant and I appreciate that ambience, design and furnishings are that of a personal choice and I am sorry that Podium Restaurant was not as you had anticipated.

We hope that you are able to return to the hotel to and should you wish to visit Cloud 23, please contact us on 0161 870 1688 and our Cloud 23 and Podium Reservation team members will be more than happy to assist with a reservation.

St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I booked a room at this hotel for a Saturday night, however was notified at 3pm on Thursday afternoon that they had overbooked the hotel and were no longer able to honour the reservation. I was offered a room at the Hilton Manchester Airport hotel as an alternative- how they see an airport hotel 30mins outside of Manchester with none of the same facilities as a suitable alternative is a joke...

As such, I have cancelled my reservation and luckily have been able to find an alternative (and hopefully more trustworthy) hotel at short notice, however this has been extremely inconvenient and very disappointing- will be looking to avoid the Hilton Group as much as possible in future

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mdiffey
Dear Guest

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for understanding recently following your reservation to stay at Hilton Manchester Deansgate recently.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this must have caused you.

I was disappointed to learn that we had to relocate you to an alternative hotel. Unfortunately we found ourselves in an over booked situation. I have spoken at length with our Director of Business Development regarding this shortfall and she would like to offer her apologies for this mistake and I can assure you immediate action has been taken within her department to ensure that this shortfall does not recur in the future.

I am, however, pleased that we were able to offer you alternative accommodation although I am disappointed that this was not to your satisfaction.

I do hope that you had a positive stay in Manchester and I sincerely to hope that you are able to make a future reservation to stay with us when we may be able to demonstrate our usual high standards of service.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I booked two rooms for a colleague and myself, two weeks in advance. We arrived and were told that the "system" had overbooked the hotel and that there were no rooms for us. We wre further told that arrangements had been made for us to be accommodated in another hotel and half an hour later a taxi arrived to take us to a very tired Principle-Hayley hotel ten minutes away.

The reception staff appeared quite familiar with this approach, indeed we were not the only people shown the exit door. One must suspect that this is a deliberate approach to maximise room occupancy rates.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Martyn H
Dear Guest

I am, however, pleased that we were able to offer you alternative accommodation within the City.

I can assure your experience is not a deliberate approach on maximising revenue, this shortfall is not a common occurrence to us and I certainly do hope that you are able to make a future reservation to stay with us when we may be able to demonstrate our usual high standards of service.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2012

You expect a lot of Hilton Hotels and sometimes it must be hard to live up to that. However having stayed in the Hilton Manchester 4 times over the course of the the last 6 weeks I don't think the hotel lived up to it once.

The issues weren't huge but just showed a lack of attention. rooms with missing shaving mirrors, broken door handles, ripped up door stoppers, loose wires from the TV and odd bits of dirty cardboard in the wardrobes.

Like I say they are all small but should have been picked up by the cleaners. If they aren't noticing these things what other parts of their job are they not doing correctly?

When I reported the problems I was told they would be sorted and they were not. The service here is not as good as at other Manchester Hotels. For the money I would suggest looking somewhere else. If it's your own cash and not your company's the definitely go somewhere like the Radisson, they are much nicer and the hotel is just better overall.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback.

I am disappointed to read your review.

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to detail the housekeeping and maintenance of rooms allocated to you during your stays with us. There can be no excuse for poor cleanliness or maintenance and I am very sorry that the rooms offered to you were not in perfect condition for your arrival. This has been addressed with the relevant head of Department to ensure we do not receive any similar feedback.

I appreciate that Manchester has many quality hotels to offer our visitors and I truly do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back when business or leisure brings you to Manchester.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Such a lovely venue but absolutely terrible service at the Hilton, mainly in Cloud 23. If you're not a trashy footballer unfortunately you get treated like a peasant. Had to complain several times at the slow service until eventually the manager came to speak with me who was nonchalant and unhelpful. Would not go to again, real shame.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sam P
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review on line following your visit to Cloud 23 at Hilton Manchester Deansgate.

I am sorry that you encountered a delay in service whilst in Cloud 23. I can confirm that our bar tenders take great pride in preparing each cocktail to specification and this takes a small period of time to complete. This should have been explained to you at the time of ordering and I am sorry that it was not. This has been addressed with the Cloud 23 team to ensure that our guests are informed of this.

I am disappointed to read your comments regarding the member of management you spoke with in Cloud 23. The entire team work tirelessly to assist our guests the best they can. I am confident that no ill will was intended towards you personally.

However, I can confirm that Hilton Manchester Deansgate does not discriminate against the appearance, sex, gender, age etc of our guests. We are in the hospitality industry to make our guests feel welcome and I am sorry that you felt on this occasion we failed you.

The Cloud 23 team have been given visibility of your comments to ensure that our guests are made to feel welcome at all time.