“Everything was much better than the reviews below, but NO free WIFI!”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #43 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 6 June 2012

The room was large and modern with safe. Hard to work TV, but who watches TV these days anyway? Well, if you are in the Hilton, you may have no choice. The WIFI service in the bedroom was £15 a day! I called reception to ask about this and they said the service is provided by a third party (BT). Come on! Every other hotel has free WIFI! Like most other guests, I refused to pay for something which should be free.

Later I was told by reception that I am not the first person to complain that the bedroom WIFI is not free, but management are aware of it and have decided to maintain it like that. Next time I will stay in the Manchester Radisson, even if it is a little more expensive.

The hotel was clean and modern and friendly. Large bathroom, but no bath, as I think we were put in the disabled room. That was no problem as we had loads of space. I hate pokey little bathrooms.

As for the staff. Please disregard the comments about rudeness and indifference. This is Manchester, not London. You can't expect to get eager immigrants desperate to please in Manchester. Many of the staff employed in the hotel are locals and those who are immigrants have probably lived and grown up in Manchester so are fully immersed in the Manchester behavior and characteristics. I personally found the staff welcoming and friendly. However, I can understand why an international traveller looking for service may find "Yorriight?" less welcoming than the "May I help you" that he was expecting.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

It is great to know that you found the hotel comfortable for your needs.

Hilton Worldwide are delighted to be able to offer our guests full WIFI access in all areas of the hotel including guest bedrooms. Something you can now enjoy in all Hilton Hotels. Hilton hotels are transparent with regards to all of their charges.

The diverse team at Hilton Manchester Deansgate are delighted to be able to offer you a warm welcome and efficient service and we hope that you are able to return to the hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Manchester Deansgate

Reviewed 5 June 2012

I used trip advisor when selecting this hotel for our anniversary trip and it was a great choice. We used peoples comments to decide to upgrade to an executive room - these are on higher floors and as I didn't see a regular room I can't comment on size difference but the higher floor makes a difference. The views are good and it is very light the higher you are.
The executive lounge - I wasn't certain what this offered from the reviews but it was brilliant. It has free wifi whilst you are in the lounge (although you have to log in each time which is annoying). The wifi in the rooms or elsewhere is charged. The lounge is open for your use all day. The breakfast served is more than sufficient and it is very peaceful. You get a selection of fruit, museli, cereal, yoghurts, pastries and cooked scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages and beans are also supplied. The staff are very attentive and keep it clean and well stocked.
During the day you can go into the lounge anytime, the views are great, the seats are very comfy and well laid out. There are newspapers, tv and some computers with a printer for your use. The tea, coffee, soft drinks and water are available all day long for you to access yourself. After breakfast is cleared away fruit and nibbles (nuts) are available and on the days we stayed there were delicious chocolate cakes also. From 5pm alcohol appears, wine, beer, spirits available for you to help yourself as long as you drink it in the lounge. From 6pm hot foot appears, lots of nibbles, sausages, mini quiche. Enough for a dinner really!!
The hotel is used as a wedding and conference venue so the foyer can be pretty busy - but we were only there walking in and out as we used the lounge the rest of the time which is on the 23rd floor.
The spa is okay but doesn't match the rest of the hotel. The pool is long and around 2 lanes wide but it isn't easy to swim properly as it is too narrow if others are in the pool. It is quite warm which is pleasant for relaxing but not swimming. The jacuzzi is lovely and very toasty, the sauna and steam rooms are fine. There is no area around the pool for lounging though and no hooks for hanging anything up. There are 2 loungers beside the jacuzzi but they aren't relaxing as they are right beside the jacuzzi and have nowhere else to go. It is fine if you want to move between the facilities but I would have liked to sit and read or snooze before the pool and jacuzzi. The changing rooms are fairly small with little hooks or benches for sitting stuff on. It is more than sufficient for a relaxing time but even just adding more hooks or shelves for towels to sit on would help it to improve.
The hotel restaurant and bar are fine, we only used the bar for evening drinks and it was well staffed and reasonably priced. Comfy seating also.
We stayed as a couple and I would highly recommend it to anyone for a relaxing break. The comedy store and pubs and restaurants are minutes away and within 10 minutes walk you are at the shopping centre.

Room Tip: upgrade to executive, it is worth the extra cost for the rooms being higher and access to the lounge...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
22  Thank Gillso
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone, we really appreciate it.

I am delighted that you had a great stay with us and that our facilities were suitable for your stay.

I am so pleased that you had the opportunity to stay in an Executive room during your stay and that you were able to use our Executive Lounge during your stay.

Thank you for your feedback following your visit to our leisure facilities and we will certainly bear this in mind when we next plan a refurbishment.

The team here at Hilton Manchester Deansgate hope that you return when your travels bring you back to Manchester.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

The "spa" is in fact a small, single treatment room. Towel given to me was covered in nail varnish and the room had been freshly painted, so the fumes gave me a severe headache. They kept me waiting 20 minutes. The only toilets are those belonging to the gym/pool, no toilet paper, overflowing sanitary bin. Wish i'd walked out.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank 322Anonymous

Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review following your visit to Spa 303 within Hilton Manchester Deansgate.

I am disappointed to learn of the difficulties you encountered and first and foremost, please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of Hilton Manchester Deansgate.

Spa 303 is a concession of the hotel and I can assure you that your comments have been passed to the team at Spa 303.

The team in Livingwell clear and clean the leisure facilities on an ongoing basis and I am sorry that you visited at a time when they had not had the opportunity to clear as swiftly as they normally do.

I do hope that you are able to return to the Spa as I know that you have not experienced them at their best.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

Well where shall I start me an my husband went with friend for an over night stay an as the title says never again the room was dirty and lots of things broken which when u stay at the Hilton you don't expect with the price you pay. Also had a meal in the rear aunt which was awfull and they got all our order completely wrong the cloud 23 bar nice but expensive for what it is I defiantly wouldn't return here it is no way worth what you ave to pay been to a million times better places and it isn't cost half as much I would go as far as sayin I ave stayed in better premier inns shame really.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank clare0

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

I am disappointed to read your comments and I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to detail the cleanliness and repair of your room which was clearly not to our usual high standard. There can be no excuse for poor standards and I am very sorry that your room was not in perfect condition for your arrival. Certainly the way in which your room was prepared does not meet with our standards and I have taken this very seriously.

I am surprised to read your comments regarding your meal in Podium Restaurant as the kitchen team are very skilled in preparing high quality dishes for our guests to enjoy. I appreciate that this is a personal choice and your feedback has been shared with the kitchen brigade and I am sorry for your disappointment.

I would really appreciate it if you would consider returning to the hotel when you next visit Manchester so that we can demonstrate our normally high standards of service.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

the Staff at the check in desk just seemed bored, 6 of them there and only 2 willing to do any checking in. The instructions for the car park couldnt be any more confusing and eventualy it cost more than promised. The room was rather small and the windows dirty so even with a nice view it wasnt so plesant.
The breakfast room is large but plenty of food, as usual on the cool side.
Seems a shame as this hotel is in a great place but with competion around I wouldnt recomend it.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review on line following your stay with us.

Thank you for your comment regarding the window cleaning, I am aware that a number of rooms are outstanding with regards to windows cleaning; however the contractors need near perfect weather conditions to carry out these works.

As a result of your comments I have spoken at length with my Front of House Manager regarding your observations whilst checking in. I can assure you that immediate action has been taken within this department to ensure that these shortfalls do not recur in the future.

I am sorry that you were not given information in full regarding the car parking options available to you. At the hotel we do have a limited number of car parking spaces that we offer for valet car parking for our guests on a first come first serve basis. Should these be full on your arrival, we offer our guests a discount when parking at the adjacent NCP car park. Our Concierge/Reception team can validate your ticket on departure and your discount is applied when paying at the pay stations with in the car park.

I appreciate that Manchester has a number of quality hotels for our visitors to stay in and I certainly do hope that you have a change of heart and that you are able to return to stay with us again.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

Had staid at another establishment the week before where I had been disappointed. At the Hilton I thought instead that quality was much bettter and I was pleased with it. The room was clean, the bathroon new and spotless and the breakfast pretty good too. The view from the room was was fantastic. Not the best mattress but still slept ok

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Gioinharrogate
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review and for sharing your positive feedback with everyone.

I am pleased that you found the hotel to be suitable for your needs and that you were able to enjoy the panoramic views of Manchester from the floor to ceiling windows that all of our guest rooms have to offer.

I am sorry that you found the mattress in your room to uncomfortable; and I have shared your comment with our Housekeeping team. I am pleased to inform you that we are working towards placing an order for replacement mattresses and I do hope that you are able to enjoy these should we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Given the fact its a Hilton I was aware that they can be rather hit or miss,
The same standard doesn't really seem to be carried through this franchise!
I did find this hotel to be a little over rated!
My room was rather stuffy and ultra compact for an 'executive room' I dread to think what the standard room is like!

I tried on 2 nights to get into the bar Cloud but was told it was either full or booked out.

Food was good but a little over priced... Much better quality & value to be had on Deansgate!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Bobby H
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review and for sharing your feedback.

I have taken on board all of your comments regarding the design/size of our guest bedrooms. I can only apologise that the design features/size of our guest rooms are not to your liking. I appreciate that this is your personal choice and I hope that this does not deter you from returning to the hotel.

I empathise completely with your point regarding not gaining access to Cloud 23 as a hotel resident. Due to fire regulations we are restricted to 200 guest’s maximum at any one time on the 23rd floor and at times guests are choosing to queue to gain access. However, I can assure you that our priority in the first instance lies with our hotel residents and those guests on our guest list.

The team and I at Hilton Manchester Deansgate hope that you return in the near future.