“Smelly Room”

Ranked #43 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
York
“Smelly Room”
Reviewed 5 July 2012

The most diabolical air freshener pads had been placed on every pelmet and high surface in the room - the stench was so pungent it made my eyes sting. I managed to locate them all and threw them out. To make matters worse the rooms are sealed and it was not possible to open a window to get rid of the residual smell. Why were they there??? Am guessing it was to disguise the fact that maybe there'd been a smoker in the room? As I arrived late, I just stuck with it and didn't change rooms. Reception didn't seem bothered when I mentioned it on checking out.
So if you get a room that smells like it has 50 Airwicks plugged in, climb up high and ditch the white deodorising pads. Eye watering.

Room Tip: My room on the 5th floor looked into the side of a multiplex cinema - maybe go higher if you think t...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry that you found your room to have an odour present during your stay. This is the first time that I have received such feedback regarding the air freshener that we place in our guest rooms. Your comments have allowed me to speak with my Head Housekeeper, Margarida Baynes and she will reduce the amount of freshener that she places in our rooms to ensure that we do not receive further feedback.

I can assure you that the air fresheners are not placed in our rooms to mask another odour, they are purely there to offer a pleasant odour, however I have taken your feedback on board for future.

I am sorry that this was not to your liking and I certainly do hope that it does not deter you from returning to stay with us.

John McLaughlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wales
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Just checked into hotel, diamond exec lounge A) kids screaming at each other over dads iPad, staff absent, and then close 30 mins early. Go to Podium restaurant, waiter Chris very helpful- " waitress will be with you shortly". 20 mins later having been offered someone else's starter, still no waitress. Gave up and left, on the way out maitre'd says" thank you, hope you enjoyed your meal, have a good evening" I said, " I give up I haven't anything! - no apology just gesticulating and mouthing at poor waitress.
What a complete joke, completely and utterly useless! Radisson here I come.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Chris4232
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback, I am disappointed to receive your feedback.

I would like to thank you also for contacting us via e-mail to highlight your concerns.

Thank for your comment with regards to the closing time of our Executive Lounge Unfortunately, due to fire regulations we are restricted to 200 guest’s maximum at any one time on the 23rd floor. The Executive Lounge shares the 23rd floor with our Cloud 23 bar; therefore we have to stagger the opening times of both outlets. We are currently reviewing all of our procedures and systems in order that we can demonstrate fairness to all interested parties.

Guests staying in our Executive guest rooms have complimentary access to the 23rd floor lounge and this is exceptionally popular facility. I can assure you that we do monitor entre in the lounge and I am confident that the guests that were present in the lounge were entitled to enjoy this facility with their children.

I am absolutely horrified to read your point regarding your experience in Podium Restaurant. This is the first time that I have received such feedback regarding service. I can assure you that I have now conducted a full and thorough investigation into the comments you have raised. I have personally spoken at length with our Restaurant Manager Kathryn O’Leary the shortfalls you encountered. I am assured by her that she has taken the necessary action within her department to ensure that the shortfall you encountered does not happen to any guest enjoying the Podium facility. I shall be personally monitoring the situation until I am satisfied it is fully resolved. Kathryn is also addressing your comment regarding your room service experience.

Once again, please accept my apologies and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

I appreciate that Manchester has a large number of hotels for our visitors to stay in, however I do hope that you are able to return tot stay with us to experience us at our best.

basildon, essex
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights during Bruce Springsteen concert at Etihad stadium, arrived late on the Thursday evening and had a couple of drinks in the bar on arrival. Made to feel welcome, very accomodating and room was fantastic! We had an executive room on the higher floors, which had the most comfortable bed and amazing views. Breakfast in the exec lounge was very nice and very comfortable. We never had dinner or lunch there as we were out on the Friday at the concert which was fab (queued from 10am, rained all day) and had a driver arranged to pick us up (Ifram) who was fantastic! Would definately recommend and stay there again. Only reason on 4 stars was because we never had lunch/dinner there (apart from raiding the mini bar at 2am for a toblerone)!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback following your stay with us.

I am really pleased that you chose to stay with us on your trip to Manchester, I am sure you had a great time at the Bruce Springsteen concert.

My team and I were more than happy to have you stay with us and I am delighted that you had a fantastic stay and that you enjoyed the service and the facilities that the hotel had to offer.

I am pleased that you found your bed to be comfortable, that you enjoyed your time in our 23rd floor Executive lounge and like many fellow guests that you enjoyed the fantastic views of Manchester.
Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to your next visit.

Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I stayed in the Hilton Deansgate recently for 3 nights as I had a business conference at the nearby Manchester Central Convention Centre. I arrived at 11pm and had phoned ahead to the reception to warn them of a late arrival time. The reception team were welcoming and booked me in in a quick and friendly way, having endured a long and somewhat stressful trip up to Manchester. I am a member of the Hilton Honours club and I always find that I am upgraded to an Executive room at this hotel and having been a regular guest at this hotel I have always found the staff to be helpful, informative and very polite. I usually have breakfast up on the executive floor (23) and find the views across the City to be wonderful. The leisure facilities are also a nice bonus at this hotel with a swimming pool. jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. There is also a gym with aerobic and weight training kit. The hotel is located well for Manchester Central and also for the Tram stop at Deansgate (just behind the hotel). The concierge also also very attentive at meeting/greeting and organising onward journeys as and when required. I always choose this hotel when staying in Manchester on business and having visited on several occasions find the quality of the rooms and the staff to be excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the Executive floors, which have great views across Manchester.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback with everyone.

We are very fortunate to be centrally located within the city and I am glad that our location worked well for your visit to Manchester.

I am really pleased that you found your guest room to be to your liking and that we were able to offer you all the amenities you had hoped for to make your stay comfortable.

I am pleased that like many other guests, you were able to enjoy the panoramic views of Manchester from the hotel.

The team here at Hilton Manchester Deansgate are pleased to be able to offer you a friendly service and I hope that you return when business or leisure brings you to Manchester.

London
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Over-priced hotel for what you get. Service on check-in was unfriendly and condescending. Unnecessary and not what I would expect from this hotel. Weren't able to follow basic requestes. Room was pretty standard, nothing special. Sound proofing between rooms was very poor. Could clearly hear people talking in the next room which kept us awake. Breakfast in our room was the worst I've had in a hotel. Parts were clearly re-heated from the day before. Fancy building in an okay location but the negatives outweigh minor positives for me and therefore wouldn't recommend or stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank reviewer8022
, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback.

I am disappointed to read your review.

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to detail your experience during your stay. I am sorry that your stay with us did not wow you and your comments have been shared and addressed with the relevant head of department to ensure we do not receive any similar feedback.

I do hope that you have a change of heart and are able to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

I noticed before my stay that the reviews for this hotel were very mixed so my expectations were fairly low!
My experience was that it's nothing special. I don't have extreme views in a positive or negative way.
The staff we encountered were all very helpful and friendly unlike other peoples experiences.
The room was pretty standard, nothing to complain about but equally nothing special .
We had lunch which was very good but I found the breakfast lacking in choice compared to other Hiltons I've stayed in abroad.
I didn't feel it was good value for money for our room rate so I wouldn't return.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Dear Guest

We appreciate the time taken to complete this review.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us recently and I am thrilled that you were looked after by our friendly team and that your room was to standard.

I am surprised to read your comment regarding our breakfast offering as we receive compliments with regards to the variety of items that we offer, however I appreciate that this is a personal choice.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future when you may be able to take advantage of one of the many deals that we offer.

Reviewed 30 June 2012

Stayed for 2 nights on a weekend. Good rooms, beds very comfy, and great pillows- had a good sleep. Room was clean, and well presented. Batroom was clean and quite modern- few suspect reapirs noticed, that were not up to original finish. Breakfast was a feast, and all you could possibly want to eat...was looking forward to salmon/eggs, but salmon looked suspect. I opted for full english- which was very good.

Overall good, but pricey for what you get. The Hilton Group, sister hotel - DoubleTree, is a better hotel for the money- by a long shot!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank DucatiBiker
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a goodnights sleep in our comfortable beds.

We are pleased that you also like to stay at the Doubletree by Hilton hotel in Piccadilly and we hope that you are able to return to stay with us soon.