“none existent customer service”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #41 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“none existent customer service”
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I recently visited the cloud bar for a romantic afternoon tea as a special occasion for my wife and I, on arrival in the lobby we were greeted and directed to the lift upto the cloud bar, when we arrived at the bar we were greated by a member of staff who guided us through what can best be described as a building site. We were not informed of any building work being undertaken at any stage from booking to the lady in the lobby.Unfortunately the only seat available was directly next to the partition dividing the building site from the bar, as we were there for a special occasion and we had not visited the hotel previously we decided to put up with the disruption, we did not complain at the time as the staff looked very pressed. On returning home after our weekend I decided to make my complaint formal, at this point my Hilton experience went from bad to worse. I entered my complaint on the Hilton website and the following day I got the obligatory automated response from Veronica in Dalas who said that I would be contacted within the following 3 days. Apparently the Hilton group considers itself to be very efficient with customer complaints. After the 3 days imagine my surprise when I had not had any contact, at this point I contacted Veronica again to be told I had been contacted 2 days previously by someone from Manchester Hilton( which I had not ) so now I was being made out to be a liar. As yet I have had no contact from their customer services and have been left feeling very let down.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank william l
John M, Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete this review following your visit to Hilton Manchester Deansgate.

I am so sorry to hear of your experience, however unfortunately with your contact details we are unable to confirm if our Guest Assistant Department forwarded your feedback to us to allow us tor reply direct to you.

I am sorry that you are under the impression that we have not replied, therefore I would be grateful if you could forward your feedback to our Food & Beverage Manchester on david.chrime@hilton.com or 0161 870 1772.

In the meantime, please accept my apologies for your disappointing experience. I am only sorry you didn’t receive our normally high standard of service.

We look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Laura McEwan
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (808)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bradford, Yorkshire
Reviewed 7 November 2012

My husband and I chose to stay at the Hilton Deansgate when we were visiting a local theatre for my birthday. From the moment of entering the large modern reception/lounge area we were extremely impressed. There were uniformed doormen who offered to take our luggage and the reception staff who managed to remain professional whilst being very friendly. There were 3 large lifts so it is unlikely that you would have to wait long.

Our room which was on the 11th floor was large, modern and very clean and the windows which were floor to ceiling offered the most magnificent view over Manchester City. There was a fridge in the room but the drinks, as is customary, were a tad expensive, however there was an ice making machine by the lifts and an ice bucket was provided so it is possible to have a nice cold drink in your room.

We slept very well and breakfast was a feast. There was a great choice including porridge and the cooked breakfast was very good. The only criticism was that the tables were not cleared so you had to eat surrounded by dirty crockery. I don’t know if the hotel were short staffed that morning or it is the usual practice. The staff also filled your cups with tea and coffee as you wanted it and although this should be a nice touch, it doesn’t really work when there is a staff shortage!

The top floor of the hotel houses a bar called ‘Cloud’ and offers magnificent views and serves cocktails. You have to book a table and it is our only regret that we did not book one for a drink before we went to the theatre as tables go quickly. There is a separate lift which takes you up there and we will definitely visit it on our next visit.

My husband found a deal for our room but we would be happy to pay the full price as we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, we will be returning and highly recommend to others.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
John M, Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your very kind and informative feedback with everyone, we really to appreciate it.

I am delighted that you had a great stay with us and that you found our facilities, service and team members to be excellent.

Thank you for including us in your birthday celebrations and we are sure that you had a great time at the theatre.

Thank you for recommending us and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you next visit Manchester when you may have time to visit Cloud 23.

Laura McEwan
Director of Operations
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Stayed here for my girlfriends birthday. Reception were staff welcoming and friendly. I'd requested a bottle of preosecco to be in the room on arrival and called up to confirm that one would be there on ice prior to our stay - entering the room there was no bottle of prosecco so I called reception to have one brought up - loosing the surprise I'd planned was disappointing. The room had nice décor, clean and reasonably spacious for 2 people with comfy beds. View from room was great which id expected as I paid the £10 extra for a 'city view'. A couples massage at the spa 303 was a wonderful experience. Very professional and friendly staff, the best thing about the stay. We had planned to go for a quick drink at cloud 23 before going out for a meal, there's no such thing as a quick drink in there. We approached the bar and were ushered away abruptly to a table and seated, no drinks menu and no drinks order taken. It took 30 min for us to make an order and receive 2 cocktails, we joked about ordering 2 more straight away hoping they would arrive by the time we'd drank the ones we'd just been given. Then there was the effort of getting the bill and yet again, a wait of 15-20 min for our bill to arrive then a further 10 min waiting for the change. So all in all around an hour to have 2 cocktails. There was another couple sitting on the next table who had the same experience and like us, were getting frustrated. I have worked in the service industry for 9 years and have never seen or witnessed something so ridiculous. The bar has no atmosphere whatsoever, had it not been for the view it would have been a complete waste of time visiting cloud 23.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your recent stay. I am delighted that you received a positive and warm welcome on your arrival.

I can understand how frustrating it must have been not to have had your requirement in your room on arrival after you had taken the time and trouble to contact the hotel to arrange this. This is a very unusual occurrence and I can confirm that procedures have been reiterated to those teams concerned. I hope you accept my apologies.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable time in Spa 303 and the team have been made aware of your kind words.

I am so disappointed to read that you encountered a delay in service standards whilst in Cloud 23. David Race, Cloud 23 Manager has been given visibility of your feedback and I can assure you that the necessary action has been taken within his team.

I do hope that you are able to return to stay with us in the future to experience us at our best.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Stayed here last week and the hotel was excellent. Speedy check in, rooom was immaculate with great view. Excellent location in Deansgate and close to all the key places in Manchester. Breakfast was good, lots of variety and the pool/spa facilities were also great, towels provided and really clean. Overall had a fantastic stay.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing this review following your recent stay with us.

We are very fortunate to be centrally located within the city and I am glad that our location worked well for your visit to Manchester.

I am delighted that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and that you were able to enjoy our leisure facilities during your time with us.

My team and I hope that you return to stay with us soon.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Just a short stopover to see a concert at the Bridgewater Hall - which it is very close to. Room, which was a good size, was absolutely fine, with all the usual complementary 'things' that one is used to nowadays. Great view out of the plate glass window - not so good if heights bother you!
Could have used a light over the shaving mirror in the bathroom.
Breakfast was included in my stay, and there was a good choice of hot or continental. Plates and the 'hot' food could have been hotter, and I was suprised that there was no container on the table for breakfast 'litter'.
Now -if you arrive by car, just consider your parking skills/spacial awareness, as the £15 self-parking (at Park Lane just around the corner) could be called tight (or advanced!). The hotel offered the option of valet parking for an extra £5 - it's your call!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone, we really appreciate it.

I am sure that you had a great time at the Bridgewater Hall and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to offer you a comfortable stay.

At the hotel we do have a limited number of car parking spaces that we offer for valet car parking for our guests on a first come first serve basis. However, these do become full very quickly; therefore we are delighted to be able to offer our guests a discount when parking at the Great Northern car park, adjacent to the hotel entrance.

I hope that you are able to stay with us again soon.

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I booked 3 rooms for a Friday night stay. Check good, nice guy as concierge room good. Went for breakfast at 10am Saturday morning. Queued for 15 mins to be sat at a table for four persons and we were 6. No glasses, no salt / pepper. Buffet breakfast - cold plates, ran out of fruit juice, getting hot drinks was a big effort as was getting glasses for the non existent fruit juice, hot meat looked undercooked. Ran out of fruit and yoghurt but was eventually replaced and then had to find someone to remove bowls to find space for plates. Probably the worst breakfast experience foursome time, recently stayed at malmaison and Lowry and Lowry was sublime and the mal was great. Hilton good location, great building but come on sort yourself out as its not like the number of guests came as a surprise.

• Stayed November 2012
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing this review following your stay with us.

I am pleased that you encountered a warm welcome on arrival at the hotel and that the room allocated to you was to your satisfaction.

I am pleased that like many other guests, you found the location of the hotel to be suitable for your needs.

However, I am sorry that you found the breakfast area to be busy on your arrival. During the weekends, we do encounter an influx of guests wishing to enjoy breakfast at the same time. However I can assure you that we are fully prepared for this. Our breakfast offering is prepared fresh each day and is replenished on a regular basis to ensure that our guests receive a high quality breakfast. I am sorry that the team did not have the opportunity to replenish as swiftly as they normally do at the time of your visit. I have shared your observations with our Restaurant Manager as she is reviewing her operation of breakfast service.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel to experience our breakfast service at its best.

London
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I have to say that I've stayed at many hotels across europe but that was one of the best.
Everything was exceptional bedrooms, service I've really enjoyed every moment of it and I'm definitely coming back for more ;)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Alisss1978
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on business recently. I am delighted that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel and our service; I have certainly shared this with my team.

I am thrilled to read that you rate us as one of the best hotels you have stayed in across Europe, thank you so much for this praise.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel soon, maybe on leisure, when we can look after you once again.