“Nice views, but not as good as it used to be.”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #42 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“Nice views, but not as good as it used to be.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice and had very different experiences. The first time was for my husband's 30th and we booked an executive room which was wonderful. On my recent visit, for business, I stayed in a standard room and was surprised by how basic it was and that it was lacking simple things such as a complimentary bottle of water. The views really make this hotel though and are simply stunning. Watching the sun set over Manchester doesn't sound very special but at this hotel it really is.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for returning to stay with us recently when in Manchester on Business.

I am pleased that like many other guests that you found the views from the hotel to be stunning. I agree that watching the sunset over Manchester is wonderful especially on a clear evening.

I note your comment regarding there being no bottle of complimentary water in our standard rooms. The current Hilton standard for our level of hotel does not insist that we provide complimentary water as standard practise in our standard room. Our Room Service team would have been more than happy to supply water to you should they have received a request.

We do hope that you are able to return to stay with us again on business or leisure.

John McLaughlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

My friend and I went to the Hilton Hotel on Deansgate in Manchester last Friday 26 April 2013 for a birthday treat for both of us. We bought a voucher off Manchester Confidential which was, we thought, a bargain for £50 each for two treatments. We arrived on the Friday to be greeted by a consierge who took us to the lifts. Once at the Spa it all went downhill. We were taken into a changing room where there were two wooden benches to get changed near the lockers. The benches were near to the main door where people walked in and out all the time so no privacy was had whilst changing. We then decided we would get changed in the toilets - big mistake. The sanitary bin of the toilets were overflowing and one of the toilets ran constantly - the flush did not stop. We then came out of the toilets and went to go to the pool area. There were two pools of water in the corridor which on inspection was from the showers, i think there was no drainage as they were quite significant in size and meant we had to walk through them to get to the pool area - very unhygienic. I dont know if it was because there were vouchers on sale but the experience of being in a HIlton hotel was lost as there was a substantial number of people in the pool area, this meant we couldnt get in the jacuzzi because at one point there was 7 people in it! Three men came into the pool area at one point and dive bombed into the water! The steam room and sauna were very nice though we did have to share with 3/4 people at a time. There was also a rusty nail on the floor which had turned orange suggesting that it had been there quite a while and also the grouting/tiling on the jacuzzi was filthy which suggested that it wasnt cleaned very often. There was also water coming in from one of the glass windows which hadnt been sealed properly. We then went to go into our two treatments and were told they had put us in a "couples" room. Why? Surely they should have asked if we had wanted to be together and we would have said no. We then had the two treatments which were a hot stone massage and a facial which were both lovely but we later discovered that actually they werent the time which was in the brochure but a "taster" treatment which lasted approximately 50 minutes for the two. The whole experience of The Hilton was ruined by the fact that there were too many people there and also that the place had a decidedly "grubby" feel about the place. Definitely not recommended and wouldnt be going again. What upset us the most was the fact that we had booked a day off work to get the whole "Hilton Experience" and came away with a decidedly unhappy feeling.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review following your visit to Livingwell and Spa 303 within Hilton Manchester Deansgate and for corresponding directly with us.

I am disappointed to learn of the difficulties you encountered and first and foremost, please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of Hilton Manchester Deansgate.

The team in Livingwell clear and clean the leisure facilities on an ongoing basis and I am sorry that you visited at a time when they had not had the opportunity to clear as swiftly as they normally do.

Spa 303 is a concession of the hotel and I can assure you that your comments have been passed to the team at Spa 303.

I understand that we are due to welcome you back to Livingwell and Spa 303 in the future to enjoy a return visit. We certainly look forward to that opportunity.

Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

I recently spent my birthday celebrations in Manchester and booked 9 twin rooms and 1 double room at the Hilton Deansgate. The service we recevied was exceptional. All the staff were welcoming and couldnt do enough for us. The General Manager John was fabulous and he ensured everything was perfect for our stay. The location is great and hotel faciltities are lovely. We pre-registered for the Cloud 23 bar in the hotel aswell was was amazing. It had great views of the city.
I would definately recommend staying at the hotel - its well worth a visit.

Dear Guest

We are delighted that you chose to stay with us to celebrate your birthday. It was our pleasure to be able to look after you during your stay and we thank you for allowing us to form part of your celebrations.

Thank you for making a reservation to visit Cloud 23 and I am absolutely delighted that a great time was had by all in the newly refurbished Cloud 23.

Once again many congratulations on your recent celebrations and my team and I look forward to your next visit, which I hope will be very soon.

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

stayed here a few times recently, the hotel is well run. rooms are clean.
Pool is good and the executive lounge is always run very well and well stocked.

metro is next door and so is the train station. whilst deansgate is full of good shops and restaurants.

Have always received a diamond room upgrade to executive room

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone, we really appreciate it.

I am delighted that you had a good stay with us and that you enjoyed our leisure facilities and our 23rd floor Executive Lounge.

My team and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hilton Manchester Deansgate.

United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

This is a typical city centre modern hotel completely lacking in soul and character. It just about did everything it's meant to do but nothing that I found memorable, or making me want to return. The room I stayed in was rather basic and cheaply furnished and being located close to the lifts, I was disturbed throughout my stay by the lifts moving up and down the shafts.

No complaints though about the staff, who were very helpful. A good example being that I asked for carrot juice with my breakfast on the first morning but unfortunately it wasn't available. I was promised that it would be available for the next morning and true to form, and unprompted, it arrived at my table.

If you need somewhere to stay for a couple of days that's close to the city centre and the shopping then the Hilton will probably tick the boxes for you but for me that's as good as it gets.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank PhileasPhoggy
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following your stay with us.

I am sorry that you felt the hotel lacked atmosphere and I appreciate that the design of our hotel is not to everyone’s liking; however we hope that this does not deter you from returning to stay with us again.

I am sorry that you were disturbed due to noise disturbance from the guest lifts. We would of course been more than happy to offer you an alternative room for you to continue with you stay.

The team are always happy to assist our guests the best they can, and I am delighted to read about the service you received at breakfast, the team have been made aware of your kind words.

I do hope that you return to stay us in the future.

Clitheroe, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

Not the best, by far. Kept waiting for lift for over 10 minutes, then we were led to our table, the sofa I sat on was full of crumbs and one of our napkins was dirty. When the afternoon tea finally arrived the scones were missing, being freshly prepared we were told. Sandwiches and quiche were good, the chocolate cake was awful, so dry and crumbly only one of our party needed to take one bite, it was too dry, so the we left the rest. We pointed this out to one of the staff and she offered to get us some but we said no thanks as looking at other tables they all looked the same, some time later the scones came, the end.
The only good thing about it is the view and we got lucky it was a beautiful day, other than that, rubbish!!

Dear Guest

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete this review following your visit to Hilton Manchester Deansgate.

I am disappointed to receive your comments as we ordinarily receive a high number of compliments relating to the service and offering of our Afternoon Tea.

I can assure you that I have shared your feedback with the Kitchen and Afternoon Tea team to ensure that we do not receive a comment of this nature again.

In the meantime, please accept my apologies for your disappointing experience. I am only sorry you didn’t receive our normally high standard of service.

We do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

Stayed here regularly for a few months on business. Very efficient and well organised hotel, with good customer service, decent restaurant, nice bar area, and well appointed rooms. Its also right on Deansgate so handy for anything in City centre. Would recommend for a business trip, not really a family hotel.

Room Tip: City views looking up Deansgate are nice but not much to choose overall