“Tea to remember”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #47 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 25 June 2013

My sister decided to treat me to afternoon tea here so she booked by phone and we arrived 15 mins before our pre-arranged time.
Shown to our window seat on the 23rd floor next to a floor to ceiling glass panel , the view of Manchester was fantastic.
As soon as the food arrived we were expected to pay the whole bill!
The food was lovely. Three kinds of petite sandwiches , three delicious cakes each plus a scone, with a pot of thick clotted cream and jam.
We ordered cappacino coffees which were hot and frothy.
My sister had been before and said although the staff didn't tell you we could have as many cups of tea and coffee as we wanted , included in the price.
We ordered 2 individual pots of tea . One pot appeared , no cups , and we waited and waited before walking , finding somebody else and finally getting the remainder of the order- by then pot one was cold and stewed.
Then.......... in came the entertainment.
Numberous staff and male guests started flooding in.Next to our table they errected a large display board .. Mens Health /Urology given detailed info on products to help with such problems with the male anatomy ,followed by long tables, loads of drinks and loads more loud, middle aged men.
Nice experience........ of course all 4/5 star !!

Room Tip: unsure wouldn't sleep much after our experience.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to make a reservation to enjoy Afternoon at Cloud 23.

I am really pleased that you and your sister enjoyed the food served in our Afternoon Tea offering; however I am disappointed that that you encountered below standard service whilst enjoying your Afternoon Tea. The team have been made aware of your feedback to ensure that that this is not repeated.

I am so sorry that you were disturbed whilst enjoying your Afternoon Tea, the team should have used their judgement and reserved your seating away from any disturbance, please accept my apologies.

I do hope that you are able to visit us once again in the future when your visit will be perfect.

John McLaughlin

Write a ReviewReviews (4,645)

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Very average in every way. I had a disabled room, so very spacious but bathroom cleanliness concerned me a little. Bed was ok but not luxurious, a bit springy. Cloud 23 has the best view in town, but that's all, services is slow and drinks are overpriced. Not much else to say.

Room Tip: Radiosonde Edwardian on Peter Street is a superior hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review and for sharing your feedback with us.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I am pleased that you enjoyed the wonderful views from Cloud 23. However, I am sorry that you encountered a delay in the service of your drinks, this is unusual and the team have been made aware of your feedback for which we thank you.

I can assure you that Hilton Manchester Deansgate is competitively priced with other hotels in the city and completed a cost analyst when putting Cloud 23 prices together.

I am sorry that you found the mattress in your room to uncomfortable. I am pleased to inform you that we are working towards replacing all mattresses, which is an ongoing project. I do hope that you are able to enjoy these should we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

I appreciate that Manchester has other quality hotels for our visitors to stay, however we truly do hope that you are able to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

How a hotel can serve up two completely different dining experiences is difficult to comprehend.
The evening meal was exquisite and served by an attentive waiter, a positive dining experience.
The breakfast was a disaster, poor quality, under cooked and attended to by surley staff.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank barry t

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review.

I am so sorry that you had a visit of two halves and I thank you for your feedback.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience in Podium Restaurant in the evening. We are very fortunate to have a great team of Chef’s lead by Executive Head Chef, David Gale, who create wonderful dishes for our guests to enjoy. Your kind words have been shared with the kitchen brigade.

However, I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy your breakfast experience and the restaurant and kitchen have been given visibility of your comments to ensure that our guests experience the same level of service and quality throughout their stay.

I do hope that your breakfast experience will not deter you from returning to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Great location within easy walking distance of the city centre, we had an overnight stay with breakfast as we were in Manchester for a concert. Friendly attentive staff greeted us and we were in our room within minutes. We had a peek in the mini bar and were certainly not impressed with the excessive prices or half eaten chocolate bar! The room however was spotlessly clean, modern and nicely decorated. The quality of the furnishings including the bed linen was very good and the room was equipped with everything you could ever need, we were slightly disappointed however with the mattress for such a good quality hotel, in our opinion it lacked the support of mattresses you would expect and to be honest was probably inferior to the beds you find in the budget chains such as the Premier Inn's! Breakfast was a self service buffet with a great choice of hot a cold food, the only let down was the fact that the tea and coffee was quite frankly horrible, it was served at the table from flasks which were stewed and barely hot enough! All in all we wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Hilton Manchester Deansgate, remember though if your not happy with your breakfast tea or coffee, ask your waiter or waitress for it to be made freshly and they will do it for you.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us recently; it was a pleasure to have you with us.

I am pleased to learn that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us and that our location was suitable for your needs. I am delighted that you found our team members to be helpful and attentive throughout your stay.

I am pleased that your guest room was to your satisfaction and that we offered all the amenities needed to make your stay a comfortable one. However I am very sorry that the mini bar was not checked, cleared or replenished ready for your arrival and this has been addressed.

Thank you for your positive comments relating to the food items served at breakfast and I can assure you that I have taken on board your comment relating to tea and coffee served during breakfast to ensure that this does not happen again.

I am sorry that you found the mattress in your room to uncomfortable; and I have shared your comment with our Housekeeping team. I am pleased to inform you that we are working towards replacing all mattresses, which is an ongoing project.

Thank you for recommending us and my team and I hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

My wife & I stayed here for 2 nights as we were going to see Muse at the Etihad stadium. Firstly the hotel has a good city centre location. We were a bit early checking in & our room wouldnt be ready for another 45 mins but they allowed us to leave our luggage while we went out. When we came back checking in was very prompt & easy. I had asked for a room with a view & they didnt disappoint. We were on floor 15 & our room had floor to ceiling windows. The view was incredible! You could see for miles including the airport, the cricket ground & old trafford. The room was to a high standard with a really comfortable bed & huge flat screen tv. We didnt eat in the hotel & cloud 23 bar had only been opened a week so we didnt try & get in there either. We did use the downstairs bar which was nice enough but very overpriced. The pool area was ok but the steam room was out of order during our stay.

Room Tip: Try & stay on the highest floor possible for an unbelievable view. Floor 15 is perfect.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Manchester Deansgate whilst in the city attending a concert. I am pleased that you found the hotel to be suitable for your visit to Manchester.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you experienced a warm welcome to the hotel, our team members are always happy to help.

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our guest rooms including how comfortable you found the bed.

During your stay with us we unfortunately encountered a malfunction with our steam room, which was out of our control. An engineer was immediately called and we had to wait for a part to be delivered to rectify the issue. I am sorry that you were not given a correct timeline; however I can confirm that the steam room is once again fully operational.

My team and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed here recently for a night as I was in town for a rock concert, I chose the hotel because I wanted a touch of luxury added to the occasion.
The hotel is situated at the bottom end of Deansgate, quite close to the Metrolink tram stop and Deansgate rail Station. Next door to the property is Great Northern which is leisure and shopping complex. The main city centre shops is within a 8 minute stroll.
Upon arrival at the hotel I was greeted with a warm friendly manor, the check in procedure was quick and painless. My room 620, was large and clean with a view of Deansgate tram stop.
The pool was lovely and the Jacuzzi was most inviting after the hectic day I’d just had, an ideal way to relax before heading out to dinner for the evening.
The breakfast in the morning was extremely busy, but I did choose to at a peak time of 10am. We waited around 5 minutes to be seated and once in the food was your typical hot and cold buffet. The breakfast was good although to be fair I think I’ve had nicer in other Manchester city centre hotels of the same ranking.
In short if you are looking for swanky hotel for a night or two then this hotel ticks all the boxes, although its not my favourite in Manchester city centre, I would choose this property again if I wanted to be that area or if my preferred choice was unavailable.

Room Tip: ask for a room on either a high floor or one that doesn't face Deansgate.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Manchester, I am pleased that our location was suitable for your needs. We are very fortunate with regards to our location as our guests are able to explore and visit that all Manchester has to offer its visitors within walking distance.

I am also pleased that we were able to offer you a warm and efficient welcome. I can assure you that reception team have been made aware of your kind words.

I can only apologise that you visited Podium restaurant for breakfast during a peak time when we experience an influx of guests wishing to enjoy breakfast at the same time. However I please that you enjoyed our breakfast offering.

Thank you for highlighting that you would return to stay with us and we certainly do hope that we have that pleasure soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

went here on business , took my wife and enjoyed a game at Old Trafford.We walked backed from the stadium ,which took about 20 minutes. Viewing gallery was excellent. Staff very pleasant. nice areas within a short walk for good bars ,restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: try booking with Trivago. we got a massive saving and upgraded our room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us when you attend Old Trafford to watch Manchester United.

I am pleased that you find the hotel to be suitable for your visits to the city and that our location is perfect for your needs.

The team at Hilton Manchester Deansgate are delighted to be able to offer you a warm welcome and efficient service and we hope that you are able to return to the hotel in the near future.