“A nice place to stay. ” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Manchester Deansgate

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #42 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A nice place to stay. ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Can't complain about this hotel. Ideal location and modern large rooms. Breakfast was good and the staff friendly. Ideal base to explore Manchester. Just be wary of The Cloud 23 bar and the longest waits ever for a drink to be made. This aside I will stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Uktraveller990
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Guest

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you found all team members to be friendly and helpful throughout your stay.

I am pleased that we formed a convenient base for your visit to Manchester and that your guest room and breakfast offering was to your liking.

Please accept my apologies that you encountered a delay in the delivery of your drinks whilst in Cloud 23. Our bar tenders take great pride in preparing each cocktail to specification and this takes a small period of time to complete and I am sorry that this was not explained to you.

Thank you for highlighting that you will return to stay with us, we certainly look forward to having that pleasure.

John McLaughlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

My partner had booked an evening in Manchester as our first break away from our recent arrival of our daughter. We checked in and went for a drink in the premier lounge, once the room was ready went in and let some belongings, front desk told us that the bags would be sent up very soon. We arrived back 4 hrs later and where told the bags would be coming, we left it for another 30 mins and still no bags. I tried to call front desk on at least 10 occasions over the following 15 minutes with no pick up, eventually i went down and got the bags myself.

The room temperature was verging on the ridiculous, with the thermostat stuck at 38 degrees, i tried calling the front desk with no reply again, we then went for breakfast and found there was only a bowel of fruit left and some old bread, many others where also complaining and waiting and at around 09.45hrs some more arrived. This was quickly consumed by guests and we waited another 30 mins before more food was bought out.

To think my partner had made so much effort, well done Hilton for making our stay a complete mess and waste of our time, NEVER again would i stay with you or recommend anyone stay with you. We had a suite and i can only say i am so glad that my partner got a works deal through you and if i had paid the £450 for the room for a single night i would have made sure we walked without paying a penny for your utter rubbish service.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE, this is why they are so poorly ranked in Manchester.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jasonml1973
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing this review and for sharing your feedback with us.

Please accept my apologies that you encountered poor service from the Concierge department with regards to the delivery of your luggage. Your comments have allowed me to speak with our Front Office Manager and I am assured by him that he has taken the necessary action within his department and conducted retraining with the individuals concerned to ensure that the shortfalls you encountered do not recur again and I am sorry that you failed you.

I have taken on board your comments regarding the lack of telephone answering during your stay. This is the first time that I have received such feedback as all departments are fully covered to ensure that telephones are answered swiftly. I am exceptionally sorry that your telephone calls went unanswered.

I am sorry that your breakfast experience was less than perfect. Our breakfast offering is prepared fresh daily and is replenished regularly. I am sorry that you encountered a delay and I have shared your observations with our Restaurant Manager so that they may review their operation of breakfast service.

I truly do hope that you have a change of heart and are able to visit us in the future to experience us at our best.

Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Stayed here with hubby on a short shopping spree and it was absolutely lovely from the moment we entered the front door. There's a very spacious reception area with a lovely seating area, cocktail lounge, bar and restaurant. Check in was swift and we got in the room early. The young gentleman on reception gave us plenty of info about the hotel and familiarized us with where the bars and restaurants where . The bedroom, although classed as standard, was very spacious and tastefully decorated. We also had a superb view of the city from our bedroom window. The bar on the 23rd floor was superb with fantastic views during the day but in the evening it was even better. Really quite mesmerizing. We dined in the hotel itself and found it to be a wonderful menu with very reasonable prices. A 2 course set menu was £21 and 3 courses cost £29. For a hotel in the centre of Manchester, I thought this was marvellous and the food was beautiful with plenty of choice. It was also served to us by a lovely young man from Spain called Vincente who had such a lovely manner about him, it was a pleasure to chat to him. This hotel was fantastic and although the décor is superb, it is actually the staff that make this such a great place to stay. During the early evening, the fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate the premises. I was extremely impressed by the way the entire staff had this situation completely under control. Specific staff had illuminous jackets on so easily identified. One had a loud hailer giving out clear instructions. Another was giving out those metallic blankets to keep us warm as we stood out in the rather blustery wind. Other staff had already checked and cleared the hotel area. They obviously had it down to a fine art and I was very impressed. So I would just le to say a big thank you to all the Hilton staff in making our short stay such a pleasant one. You are a credit to this hotel!

Room Tip: Get a room on the higher floor as the views are superb
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elainematty
Dear Guest

We are delighted that you chose to stay with us on your recent shopping trip to Manchester.

I am delighted that you found the team members in all areas of the hotel to be welcoming and accommodating and that looked after you during your stay.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience in Podium Restaurant. We are very fortunate to have a great team of Chef’s lead by Executive Head Chef, David Gale, who create wonderful dishes for our guests to enjoy. Your kind words have been shared with the kitchen brigade and the team in the restaurant, especially Vincente.

Thank you for visiting Cloud 23 during your stay. I agree the views from the hotel are stunning and even more spectacular at night fall when you can see the city illuminated.

I am sorry that your visit coincided with an evacuation, which I am sure was an inconvenience to you during your stay, which I apologise for. However, the safety of our guests and staff is of paramount importance to us in Hilton and our first priority when the alarms sound is to evacuate the building whilst an investigation is carried out. I am thrilled to read that you found it was dealt with in a professional manner.

Once again, thank you for your very kind feedback. We hope that you will return to stay with us soon.

cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Everything spot on. Service just about up to par with major US chain hotels- most in uk seem to fall far behind. Cloud 23 bar on 23rd bar an experience but legs like rubber today due to a fire evacuation requiring walking down 46 flights of stairs. However no panic and well oiled procedures.

Room Tip: You pay more for higher floors with great views but more stairs in the event of an emergency..
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank washbis0n
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone, we appreciate it.

It is great to know that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel and that you had time to visit Cloud 23.

My team and I certainly hope that we are able to welcome you back for a further stay soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Good hotel, great location with great facilities. My only criticism was being asked to pay (an unreasonable amount of money) for the Wi-fi. Having stayed here on business this wasn't good but other than that, no complaints.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ed G
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone following your recent stay with us.

I am absolutely thrilled that you had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed our facilities.

We are very fortunate to be centrally located within the city and I am glad that our location worked well for your visit to Manchester.

Hilton Worldwide is delighted to be able to offer our guests full WIFI access in all areas of the hotel including guest bedrooms. Hilton hotels are transparent with regards to all of their charges and we are unable to alter this at hotel level, however I can assure you that we are competitively priced with other hotels in the city.

I really hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when your travels bring you back to Manchester on business or leisure.

Cancun, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Everything about this hotel is very stylish. The reception team look great and are bang-on-the-service culture. But with anything stylish, there's the risk that it all becomes a bit soulless or thinks it's better than it really is.

Terry (the concierge) is an absolute star - having found me the emergency dry-cleaners and whisked the jacket off there and got it back before the evening. Well done Terry and let's hope Team Hilton realise that this is the kind of service and approach that makes a big hotel special.

Rooms are exceptionally stylish with great views (but remember it is Manchester - not New York, Paris or Rome - so there's not much to look at), bathrooms are the best I've ever experienced in a Hilton.

So that's the good news. The average news:

Wi-Fi - even when you pay, it's patchy and not great to jump on/off. (BT Openzone)

Rooms - no plugs by the bed, no coffee machines, kettles you have to crawl on your knees to get out of the cupboard)

Air-Con - it's at that level of not silent, but not noisy enough to complain about. Probably due to the huge amount of ductwork to get the air up in the sky (12 floors for my room).

Overall, ok. Would I come back? I think I'd look round for something with a bit more substance over style.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ashley H
Dear guest

Thank you for staying with us recently; it was our pleasure to be able to look after you.

I am delighted that you experienced a warm and friendly welcome from the front desk. The team have been made aware of your kind words, especially Terry.

I am really pleased that your guest room was to your liking and that you were able to enjoy the views of Manchester and beyond from the comfort of your room.

Thank you for your feedback relating to wifi access, the positioning of the plug sockets and tea and coffee making facilities in our guest rooms. We have taken your comments on board along with your feedback relating to our air conditioning.

I do hope that my team and I have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed over a long weekend. Room had great views over manchester. Service was excellent, in room dining was good too. I will be staying again. Did not get chance to visit the leisure facilities this time, so will have to stay again. Maybe upgrade to a suite next time!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Stuart H
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this positive review following your recent stay with us.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us recently and I am glad that you had a comfortable stay with efficient service.

I am pleased that like many other guests that you found the views from the hotel to be stunning. The view is even more spectacular at night fall when you can see the city illuminated.

My team and I hope that we have the opportunity of looking after you in the near future when you may have the opportunity of visiting our leisure facilities.