“Should have believed reviews ”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #44 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

After looking forward to this trip for Christmas I have to say the standard of Hotel was disappointing... Location is great but have to say the staff are very lukewarm and pretentious...

The biggest downfall is general maintenance and cleanliness...

We arrived to Hotel for an early check in as had been working until 5am and then had to catch a early flight..

The room we were assigned 918 was the dirtiest hotel room I have seen..

Very poor standards and I am writing this with still another night to stay ..

One positive is bed is comfortable and good tv

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Greg M
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing your feedback.

I am disappointed and surprised to read your comment regarding our team members as we receive a high number of compliments relating to how friendly and accommodating they are. I am sorry that you did feel this was the case during your stay.

The senior team with our Housekeeping team has been made aware of your comments. I am disappointed to receive your comments as our guest rooms are ordinarily of a very high standard. We would have been more than happy to offer alternatives to ensure your satisfaction.

On a positive note, I am pleased that the location of the hotel worked for your visit to Manchester and that you had a good night’s sleep in our comfortable beds.

I am really sorry that your stay was marred by poor housekeeping and I do hope that this does not deter you from returning to stay with us again

John McLaughlin

Write a ReviewReviews (4,541)

Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for New Year. We were on the 19th floor and had a brilliant view over Manchester through the floor to ceiling windows. It was a really good experience and the room was modern and clean with a large screen TV.

There was a mini bar which was ridiculously expensive so we avoided that and you don't get that much for your money but we had a really good stay and I would definitely go back just for the high up experience and to watch the world go by below!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive and kind words following your recent stay with us.

I am thrilled that you found the hotel to be fantastic and that you had a great stay with us.

I have taken on board your comments regarding the charges applied to our mini bars. Hilton Hotels are very transparent with regards to all of their charges. The rates charged are a Hilton Brand Standard and every UK based property charge the same rates. This is something that we are unable to reduce or increase of our own free will.

Our mini bars are there as a benefit should our guests wish to use it. We would of course have been more than happy to offer alternatives via our Room Service department should you have so wished.

The team at Hilton Manchester Deansgate are delighted to be able to offer you an efficient service and we hope that you are able to return to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Lovely Hotel and good price for a city centre, very nice and affordable meal in the restaurant. Good location for shopping centres and reasonable parking. Friendly staff throughout the hotel, a pleasant stay all round!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone, we really do appreciate it.

I am pleased that you chose to stay with us and that that location of the hotel was suitable for your needs.

It is great to know that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel, our service, offerings and facilities.

Thank you for dining in Podium Restaurant, I am thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience. I can assure you that our Executive Head Chef, David Gale has been given visibility of your kind words.

My team and I really hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Love this hotel and we came back for a second stay in December (we stayed for a long weekend in October 2013). Great for shopping and inexpensive parking nearby, or valet parking, or long stay multi storey.

The staff are great - especially the front of house manager, Damian. Also, the gym and pool lady, Lizzie, who was very helpful and friendly; these are just two that we mention, but all the staff were great. Food was excellent, and the hotel catered for my dietary needs, gluten and dairy free, at all times.

What can we say, but it's was a brilliant short break, made special by the place and staff. Thank you

Room Tip: whatever room you are in, the view is fab!

Dear Guest

Thank you for returning to stay with us in December; it was our pleasure to be able to look after you.

I am pleased that we were able to offer you a warm and efficient welcome on your arrival to the hotel. I can assure you that our entire team have been made aware of your kind words especially Damian and Lizzie.

We hope that you are able to return to stay with us in the very near future.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I booked a Christmas stay here for 27th December 2013 in one of the Executive Suites.

We arrived at about 3:15 in the afternoon, just after our 3pm check in time, only to be told that our room wasn't ready, so not the best start. They advised us to wait in the "Executive Lounge" on the 23rd Floor while they finished the room off. The Lounge is a nice place to relax, with a few nibbles and drinks (fosters and carlsberg bottles if memory serves right), and some great views of Manchester from high above, but after waiting in there for 45 minutes we were starting to lose our patience. After asking the staff about the room it was a full 90 minutes later that we were able to go and unpack. Again, not what i expected from the price i paid.

The Suite itself was fantastic, a separate Living/Dining room, 2 bathrooms (one en suite), and a good sized bedroom (pics attached). We were lucky to be one of the corner suites - room 2004, meaning at the foot of our bed we had views of the West of Manchester, and to the left views of the South. It was very well kitted out as expected with 2 big TV's, nice big bed, and excellent bathroom facilities. What brings the Luxury level down a little in the suite though were the multiple large damp stains on the carpet dotted around the place. How they got there or why they were still there I've no idea, but it no longer felt like the ultimate luxury suite i paid a hefty premium for.

So far the place was good, then it got to night when after a meal out in town we fancied a drink in Cloud 23. Whilst queuing up, a bouncer walked over and said that we wouldn't be allowed in as i had Trainers on, not shoes. "Even if i'm staying in one of your top suites?" I asked. Apparently so. At this point we didn't feel very executive at all. I should have took this up further there and then but after a number of cocktails i felt i'd proabbly be seen as a drunk wanting to start something, so that was that and back to the room we went.

After a great nights sleep and waking up to the sunrise to the left of us in bed, we went down to the restaurant for an all you can eat buffet breakfast which was gorgeous. They had everything needed for a full on English Breakfast, and then some.

Feeling a little better about the place i went to the desk to sort out a late check out (usually 12pm), only to be told that it wouldn't be possible as there were people staying in that suite the next night. I explained that we didn't even get into the room until almost 2 hours after we'd checked in, but the black-hearted ogre behind the desk didn't give a toss. So out at 12 we were.

All in all, i have to say the hotel is very, very nice. But when you've paid a good deal of money you expect to receive a good deal of 110% service, unfortunately this wasn't part of the bundle here. Therefore if you're looking to get the luxury treatment i'd avoid and try one of the other high-quality hotels Manchester has to offer.

2  Thank Audioe
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us on 27th December 2013, it was our pleasure to have you with us over the festive period.

I was disappointed that you were unable to check in at 15:00. It has been highlighted that the night prior to your stay was very busy and unfortunately Housekeeping were under pressure to service all of the rooms in preparation for check in and I am sorry that we failed you on this occasion.

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to detail the cleanliness of the carpet in room 2004 which was clearly not to our usual high standard. I agree that the carpet is not as it should be. Unfortunately we find ourselves in a position whereby we now need to replace some carpets throughout the hotel. I am working towards having a number of carpets replaced and this includes guest room 2004. We are currently waiting for a delivery of carpets and I anticipate completion within a number of weeks.

I am sorry that you were originally denied access to Cloud 23. We do follow a dress code, no sportswear and smart, casual dress, however I am pleased that you were able to enjoy some cocktails during your stay.

Please accept my apologies that we were unable to offer you a late check out. Late check outs are subject to availability and unfortunately we were unable to offer this benefit to you on this occasion.

On a positive note, I am pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast prior to departure.

I appreciate that Manchester has a large number of quality hotels for our guests to choose from and I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hilton Manchester Deansgate in the future.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

After staying anually to meet up with friends for the past 8 years and booking between 3 and 10 rooms to accomodate us we noticed a decline in service and standards this year. The windows in our room were so dirty that we couldn't appreciate the view over Manchester (a key selling point) and the shower door didnt close so the bathroom got soaked whilst showering. The executive bar was the busiest we had ever seen it and had standing room only, the supposed complimentary bar ran out of all alcohol at 7pm when its opening time advertisd upto 745pm and staff said they were told by managers not to replenish stocks, there were many angry customers and verbal complaints to the staff. After leaving the hotel to eat we returned to be confronted by very surly security staff who asked us to prove we were residents before we could even enter the lobby and come in from the extremely windy weather. The next morning our breakfast was luke warm probably due to the ice cold plates. This was so dissapointing and left us thinking we should try and meet elsewhere with better standards.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank kellycoke
John M, Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Guest

I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your recent return stay at the hotel, we always endeavour to offer the highest level of service and it would appear that on this occasion that we failed to meet your expectations.

I have shared your review with the relevant department managers and apologise for the inconvenience due to the cleanliness of your bedroom windows and the Executive Lounge offerings.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Manchester Deansgate in the not too distant future, I am confident a marked improvement will be noted.

I would ask you to contact damian.gilvary@hilton.com directly to make any necessary arrangements.

Thank you for your feedback.

Best regards
Damian Gilvary
Front of House Manager

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in this Hilton many times and always been happy with it however on this occasion (29th December) something seems to have gone drastically wrong.

I have always visited with my husband and for the first time my parents attended with us as a Christmas treat. On arrival we were told due to the hotel being busy the rooms were not ready and we should wait in the executive lounge where we could obtain refreshments. Off we went where we found a busy lounge. We were then informed the tea & coffee machine was not working. We were not offered a solution. After some complaining we were told they would make us a hot drink but we would have to go in a queue with the afternoon tea customers in the adjacent bar. This surely should have been offered in the first instance.

Once we got our rooms some time later it was up to the usual spotless standard except that the tv remote was completely missing in our room & due to faulty wiring the tv in my parents room did not work at all. Whilst we eventually got a replacement remote, despite my parents notifying reception of the tv problem nothing was done to resolve it during the stay.

We returned to the executive lounge to take advantage of the complimentary food and drink at 6.20 pm to find standing space only, the only food available was meat spring rolls as everything else had run out, no plates, no wine glasses and no tumblers - a complete shambles! Eventually when clean glasses and plates appeared they were taken so quickly by the waiting people that they really made little impact. The same with the food. To top it all off 45 minutes before the end of the complimentary service all wine and vodka ran out, along with coke and we were informed they would not be replenished. When questioned we were told by staff that 'no one expected it to be so busy' - this is ridiculous, surely they know exactly how many executhve rooms have been booked and can therefore predict demand which will always be higher than usual during the festive period. Basically, we paid for 2 hours complementary food and drink and it's generous to say if was available for half of that time. Unacceptable, busy or not!

What was most annoying was the Staffa seemingly unapologetic attitude to the situation, it was a case of were busy, that's how it is, put up with it. There are two other bars I. The building, surely they could have done something.

It seems the hilton over stretched themselves, offering services at prices they couldn't deliver. They really should look at this.

Overall very disappointed, after returning to this hotel on many occasions we will now be looking at alternatives.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Slossle

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time review your recent return stay at Hilton Manchester Deansgate.

Please be assured that your feedback has been fully reviewed and taken very seriously, I would like to personally assure you that the necessary steps have been taken to address these issues and to ensure that they do not reoccur.

I fully acknowledge the impact these shortfalls will have had to you and your party for your Christmas treat.

I am disappointed that you have been left with such a poor impression of our Executive Lounge. Should you wish to discuss your feedback further please don’t hesitate to contact damian.gilvary@hilton.com directly.

Once again, please accept my most sincere apologies and thank you for taking the time to highlight your concerns, as it is only through such feedback that we are able to constantly improve our products and services.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Manchester Deansgate in the not too distant future when a marked improvement will be noted.

Best regards