“Good quality with great views”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #44 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
London, UK
“Good quality with great views”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed for a couple of nights while attending an event at the adjacent Manchester Central complex in a room on the Executive Floor with great views south toward the Peak District and Cheshire.

The rooms are modern, well furnished and seem to be well soundproofed, though a coat hook or two wouldn't go amiss, so you didn't have to hang a wet coat in your wardrobe - this is something even Premier Inn can get right!

Their 23rd floor Executive Lounge is a pleasant place for a coffee in the morning with a view of the City Centre and further North toward the Pennine Moors.

I've got three grumps:

The charge for in-room internet access is old-fashioned and usurious in 2014. £15 a day! I also happen to know, as I've enquired about running events there, that I have faster internet access to my house than they have to the hotel! I dare say the high charge is "scarcity pricing" to keep people off the network so that it doesn't grind to a halt.

Let's face it, charging extra, especially at such high prices, for internet access in this day and age is like charging for running the water taps, using the lights, or flushing the loo.

The second one is that there was something weird going on with the keycard system as both my room key and most of the others in my party stopped working part-way through the stay.

Didn't bother going up to Cloud 23 on this visit. I've been there before, and they've since changed their policy toward hotel guests who used to get queue jumping privileges. Guess their own guests aren't important now. We know where we stand.

Seriously, if they didn't sting you on the Internet access, I'd give it a 5.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with everyone following your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that we formed a convenient location for your attendance at a conference at Manchester Central.

It is great to know that you enjoyed every aspect of your guest room and I have taken on board your comment relating to an additional hook for wet coats.

I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the hospitality of the team in the Executive Lounge and that you were able to enjoyed the wonderful views of Manchester and beyond from the 23rd floor.

Hilton Worldwide is delighted to be able to offer our guests full WIFI access in all areas of the hotel including guest bedrooms. Hilton hotels are transparent with regards to all of their charges and we are unable to alter this at hotel level, however I can assure you that we are competitively priced with other hotels in the city.

I do hope that you are able to stay with us again very soon when you are in the city on business or leisure.

John McLaughlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

It's a cliche that in Manchester it is always cold and wet - I was musing this as after a long day walking around a cold and wet Manchester I stood in the shower - cold and wet as there was no 'hot' water. I rang down and was told the engineer was working on it. With 20 minutes to get ready to go to dinner I had to endure.
On returning I then slept on the poorest quality mattress I have ever encountered - looking out of the window I spied a skip with a mattress in and wondered for a brief moment whether it would fit in the lift. I'd avoid this hotel like you would the weird bloke from accounts stumbling around the office xmas party clutching a sprig of mistletoe

2 Thank Ged B
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this review following your stay with us.

I am sorry that you found our beds to be uncomfortable. We have recently purchased new mattress for all of our beds and have received compliments following this update. I appreciate that the comfort of a bed is a personal choice.

I am very sorry that you experienced a lack of hot water and that your shower was not at a comfortable temperature for you. Unfortunately we did experience a boiler issue which was out of our control. I can assure you that we worked closely with the relevant engineers to ensure that this issue was urgently resolved. I can confirm that all of our systems were back to standard within 20 minutes.

My team and I do hope that you are able to reconsider and stay with us again in the future.

Cardross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This hotel is something else to just even look at..it's the tallest skyscraper in Manchester and the tallest residential building in Britain and 4th tallest in Europe..quite impressive! We were only staying for one night as we were going to a show at o2 Apollo which was 5 mins in a taxi. The main street next to hotel was fab for shopping. Across from the hotel was a lovely little café/bar called Dimitri's..nice wine and there was a live band on which was a bonus! I would recommend it and also recommend www.revoluciondecuba.com ...great atmosphere! and Velvet Central Bar on Mount Street..very cool! all 5/10 min walk from hotel. I was very impressed with the staff at this hotel. Very efficient and attentive to your needs...Go visit!

Room Tip: if you're not scared of heights pick a room higher up for the views...spectacular!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Manchester Deansgate whilst in the city attending a show at the Apollo.

We are very fortunate to be centrally located within the city and I am glad that our location worked well for your visit to Manchester.

The team here at Hilton Manchester Deansgate are pleased to be able to offer you a friendly service and we are delighted to read that you recommend us. We hope that we are able to look forward to your return visit.

Sheffield
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here for my birthday and payed for an executive room with breakfast and lounge access. Staff were great, couldn't be more helpful and welcoming! Cloud 23 bar is a "must do" experience but expensive drinks! Breakfast was full english buffet and was lovely..... We deffinatly will stay again and highly recommend it to everyone!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

We are delighted that you chose to stay with us to celebrate your birthday. It was our pleasure to be able to look after you during your stay and we thank you for allowing us to form part of your celebrations.

Thank you for making a reservation to visit Cloud 23 and I am absolutely delighted that you had a great time

Once again many congratulations on your recent celebrations and my team and I look forward to your next visit, which I hope will be very soon.

Holywell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My wife and I returned to Hilton Manchester Deansgate and from the time we arrived to our departure the service was nothing less than excellent , the concierge who took our bags when we arrived by taxi was very friendly and even remembered we were interested in cricket. Our check-in was smooth friendly efficient with a welcome back which was really meant.
The room was excellent with views over Manchester towards Manchester Airport and Jodrell Bank.
The sight of an Airbus 380 (the largest aircraft in the world) taking off from the airport was spectacular.
The new menu in the Podium Restaurant was excellent, the only problem was which lovely dish to have next, the Veloute was magnificent as was the Duck and the Hake. The meals were astonishingly good value and the service at the table was beyond excellent with the staff having a great knowledge of each dish.
If you do visit, do try the Podium Restaurant-not to be missed.
The view from the Executive Lounge is wonderful with magnificent views of the Pennines with just a touch of snow on them was wonderful.
If you are visiting Manchester do give this hotel a visit you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: The reason we did not rate the Spa was that we did not use it but would imagine it is also excellent...
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone, we really do appreciate it.

I am pleased that we were able to offer you a warm and efficient welcome on your arrival to the hotel.

It is great to know that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel, our service, offerings and facilities.

I am really pleased that you were able to stay in a one of our Executive rooms which allowed you to enjoy the hospitality of the team in our Executive Lounge.

Thank you I am thrilled that you enjoyed your dining experience in Podium Restaurant. We are very fortunate to have a great team of Chef’s lead by Executive Head Chef, David Gale, who create wonderful dishes for our guests to enjoy. Your kind words have been shared with the kitchen brigade

I am thrilled that you found all team members to be welcoming and attentive and that they looked after you during your visit.

I hope that you are able to visit us again soon, when we will have the pleasure of looking after you once again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Great hotel if you do not suffer from Vertigo. Room was very clean and the bathroom had both a bath and a shower (always nice to have an actual bath tub!) and some nice toilteries. Stylish and modern room and comfy bed.
Did not have breakfast so cannot vouch for this, but a lovely hotel otherwise.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing your feedback.

I am pleased that your guest room was to your liking and offered you all the facilities to make your stay a comfortable one. I am delighted that you had a good night’s sleep in our comfortable beds.

My team and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future when you may have the opportunity of enjoying our breakfast selection prior to your departure.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed at Hilton with my friend for her 20th Birthday! Check-in was efficient, no queue and really good, and we were helped with luggage immediately which was fab. The room we got was lovely, really high up on the 15th floor which I didn't expect, and overall it was clean and comfortable, however the bedsheets were stained which wasn't good and I feel house keeping need to work on this! Also when we ordered some champagne glasses to the room, they told us they would be up in 5 minutes but took about 25 which I was a bit disappointed with. Overall it was a good value, great stay, the pool was lovely and warm and the showers were clean and well kept! Thank you

Room Tip: Higher floors have beautiful veiws
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Guest

I am pleased that you booked to stay with us to celebrate your friends 20th birthday. Thank you for allowing us to be part of your celebrations.

I am delighted that you had a great stay with us and that you found your 15th floor guest rooms to be to your liking.

I cannot imagine how marked linen could have been placed in your room as our room attendants are trained to be exceptionally vigilant. Whilst I am confident that it was clean I can assure you that we have given visibility of your feedback to our laundry company to ensure that there is no recurrence.

I am sorry that your champagne glassed took a little longer to reach your room during your stay.

Thank you once again for your feedback and my team and I hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel soon.