“Great conference accomodation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Dorking, United Kingdom
“Great conference accomodation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed here overnight including dinner in the banqueting suite as part of a conference at nearby Manchester central. Hotel is very clean, modern and comfortable. BT Openzone wifi was much appreciated as it saved normal hotel wifi charges. Breakfast was very good.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone following your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that we formed a convenient location for your attendance at a conference at Manchester Central.

It is great to know that you enjoyed every aspect of your guest room and you enjoyed our breakfast offering.

I do hope that you are able to stay with us again very soon when you are in the city on business or leisure.

John McLaughlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed in the Hilton, Beetham Tower on a conference for several nights in the autumn. The location is great for all local amenities; Deansgate, The Arndale Centre, GMEX etc but then I love Manchester anyway, so am perhaps a bit biased!

The hotel facilities are exactly what you would expect of a good 4*, with spacious rooms and reliable business facilities. Unfortunately the first room I was allocated was a smoking room (I didn’t even know they still existed!), it might not bother most people but I have a nose like a bloodhound and realised even before I entered the room. I called down to reception to change the room immediately, but the hotel was fully booked so moving was not an option. Reasoning that I would be spending very little time in the room anyway, I accepted the offer to move me for the next night. What I wasn’t expecting was a knock at the door when I returned in the evening and a complimentary surprise for my “inconvenience”! It was a lovely unexpected gesture and appreciated.

The room I was moved into the next day turned out to be damp – I would have preferred the smoking room! So again I asked to be moved, again the request couldn’t be accommodated and yet again I found an “apology” waiting for me in the room that evening. I wouldn’t say I am easily pleased but the staff can’t be expected to magic rooms out of nowhere, so did the next best thing and with the exception of one young girl at reception (a trainee, I assume), demonstrated that they really do care about offering an exemplary service. Other than that the hotel was fine, food acceptable and we were well-fed with goodies of all descriptions during the course of the conference, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to eat there when there are so many wonderful choices of restaurant on your doorstep. Cloud 23 is a nice place for a drink with a view (look out for the windows in the ladies’ and gents’!). Even if you’re not drinking cocktails, a glass of water there is something a bit different, and they made my latte just the way I like it so no complaints there either.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with everyone following your recent stay with us.

Thank you for visiting Cloud 23 during your stay. I am pleased that you had the time to enjoy the stunning views of Manchester and beyond whilst enjoying cocktails.

We are very fortunate to be centrally located within the city and I am glad that our location worked well for your visit to Manchester.

Please accept my sincere apologies that you had move rooms during your stay due issues. However I am pleased that we were able to offer you alternative rooms and I hope that you felt that this was done with minimum disruption.

I really hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in Manchester.

Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights, 1 night leisure and the other Company function on the 24 and 25 January 2014. We both highly recommend a stay at this hotel, the staff were very polite and helpful, the hotel and room was spotlessly clean and the bed was so comfortable, the room and ensuite were amazing, ensuite with separate shower and bath. Breakfast was very good with a good selection and the food was really nice. The view from our bedroom on the 18th floor was incredible and a visit to the Cloud 23 Bar on the 23rd floor is a must, for the view! All shops and restaurants etc are within a 10 minute walk. Couldn't fault the location or the hotel. We will certainly stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Manchester; I hope you enjoyed what our great city has to offer from our great location.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the views from the floor to ceiling windows whilst enjoying your 18th floor guest room.

We are proud of our ‘Hilton Breakfast’ and I am delighted that you enjoyed our offering.

I certainly hope that you choose to stay with us again when business or leisure brings you to Manchester.

Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

Second time at the Hilton Deansgate and again, service was superb, staff cannot do enough for you. Breakfast is plentiful with numerous choices from healthy right through to a full English if you want. We always book a table at Cloud 23 for the evening when we have a few in the afternoon, we always get put in the VIP part at night.

Cannot fault this hotel one bit and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for returning to stay with us, we are delighted that your second visit was as good as the first.

I am really pleased that you book on the guest list for Cloud 23 and that you had a great time in the bar whilst enjoying the fantastic views of Manchester and beyond.

I am thrilled that you found all team members to be welcoming and attentive and that they looked after you during your visit. I can assure you that the team have been made aware of your kind words.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast offering prior to your departure and I really hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when your travels bring you back to Manchester.

West Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

Attended a function on a Sunday evening.
The positives; Good welcome on arrival, excellent bedroom with great views across the city.
The negatives ; Was given plastic stirrers with our coffee during the function, meal wasn't great.

The breakfast although of a good quality was served in a restaurant that was absolutely freezing as it's just off the main entrance to the hotel.

Would we return - probably but when the weather is warmer.

Room Tip: The higher the room the better the view.
Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to have you with us recently when you were attending an event which we had pleasure of hosting.

I am delighted that we were able to offer you a warm and efficient welcome on your arrival to the hotel and that your guest room was to your satisfaction.

Thank you for your feedback relating to our conference offerings, this has been passed to the relevant head of Department.

I am sorry if you felt a little cold whilst in the restaurant. I have requested that our Facilities team check the air conditioning temperature in this area as part of their daily checks to ensure that our guests are at a comfortable temperature whilst in the hotel. It has been highlighted that the accessible door to the hotel is allowing the cold air to enter the hotel, and circulate in this area and that this would certainly affect the temperature in these said areas on a cold day.

The team at Hilton Manchester Deansgate are always happy to offer a friendly and attentive service and they have been made aware of your kind words.

I do hope that you are able to visit us again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

First of all, I paid an agreed negotiated rate as part of a conference which was still an extremely expensive £135 for a single queen room on a Tuesday night. That's a lot of cash in any man's language. Here were my four main bug bears:

1) MINOR: on two occasions I had to ask for directions. On both occasions the front of house staff had to ask someone else what should have been obvious. I.e. direction to the nearest train station; direction to Liverpool Street (right opposite the hotel lobby!!).

2) breakfast - I had breakfast twice. On the day of arrival as the guest of a colleague and on the morning of my stay. On both occasions the experience was TERRIBLE. There was no welcome which led to confusion as to what to do. When we did speak to a waiter on both occasions, we were not told what to do (normally this is obvious but in Deansgrage the breakfast areas are spread vastly over the room). On both occasions we had no milk - on the second I had to go and find some myself as numerous attempts to get a waiters' attention failed. On the second occasion I also had no salt and pepper which I had to borrow from the table next to me. On the first occasion we were never offered tea/coffee and had to wait an inordinate amount of time to get someone's attention. On the second occasion after trying already to get a waiter's attention without success, I went and got my own coffee from the waiters staging area. Very important: in no way could either occasion be described as a busy period. Just awful.

3) There was a bottle of water in the room. But it was marked £3.95 for it. What!?!?! What hotel in the world doesn't provide a free bottle of water? No problem, I'll drink tap water as I know it's safe - except there was no cold tap water. Just luke warm. Yuck! On principle I was not paying £3.95 for a bottle of water after paying a fortune for the room. I went to Sainsbury's nearby and both a 2l bottle of water, a giant chocolate bar and a sandwich pack for less than the £3.95 of the water.

4) Hotel wifi. I don't know if this is a British norm or a Hilton norm but you'd be laughed out of most hotels in Ireland now if you tried to charge for wifi. If you are charging then a small token fee then fine. But £14.95? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I pay less for my monthly home 100Mbps broadband connection. And you want to charge that for one night? Christ on a bike folks.

I'm not a crank I can assure you. I stay in lots of hotels every year in business and rarely if ever have an experience to complain about. This is one of those rare occasions which left a very very very bad taste in my mouth.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Barry O
John M, Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing this review following your stay with us.

I am surprised to read your comments relating to our Concierge team. All team members in this department have been with us for some years and are fully aware of what Manchester has to offer and how to direct our guests to their point of interest during their stay. I can only apologies that you did not encounter this during your stay.

I am sorry that your breakfast experience was less than perfect. I have shared your feedback and observations with our Food & Beverage Manager so that he may review Podium’s operation to ensure that this does not happen again.

I can assure you that I have taken your comments on board with regards to WIFI and bottled water charges. Hilton hotels are transparent with regards to all of their charges and we are unable to alter this at hotel level. I have passed on your feedback to our relevant teams within the organisation.

The water supplied in our guest rooms is there as a benefit should our guest wish to consume it. We would of course have been more than happy to offer alternatives via our Room Service department should you have so wished.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel to experience us at our best.

Laura McEwan
Director of Operations
Sudbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

It's a great hotel in a central location, with lovely spacious rooms, TV in the bathroom. What else do you need? I was fortunate enough to stay on the executive level and the rooms were perfect. Only point would be automatic joining of wifi instead of having to log in every time you go up and down in the lift.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing your feedback.

I am pleased that your guest room was to your liking and offered you all the facilities to make your stay a comfortable one.

Thank you for your feedback relating having to rejoin the wifi connection. We are aware of this and this is something that our colleagues at Head Office are looking into.

We hope that we are you hotel of choice when you next visit Manchester.

John McLaughlin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
Hotel Gotham
Hotel Gotham
#3 of 115 in Manchester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,162 reviews

Been to Hilton Manchester Deansgate? Share your experiences!