“Disgrace and the cheek!”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #41 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Disgrace and the cheek!”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The window was so filthy so you could hardly see the view! This was a massive disappointment as I was looking forward to my partners expression of the view! Obviously it backfired! We didn't even have a drink out of the minibar it was full upon arrival and full on departure, but yet extra money has been took from my account so I rang them up and was told that we had a bottle of prosecco, a bottle of Chardonnay and a red bull! We don't even like wine we don't like red bull and to be honest don't even know what prosecco is! This is a disgrace and is practically robbery!! Absolute joke!

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Thurst1567
John M, Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us recently and for completing this review.

The views from the hotel are amazing and I note your comments regarding the window cleaning. We are aware that a number of windows require cleaning. Our contractors need near perfect weather conditions to operate the high level cradle to carry out these works. This is an ongoing project.

I am sorry that you were charged for items not consumed during your visit. I am confident that this was down to human error and I do hope that you accept our apologies. I do hope that following your call to the hotel that you were offered a credit, if this is not the case please contact us on 0161 870 1761 and we will gladly organise this for you.

My team and I do hope that you are able to return to stay with us in the future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (808)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have not arrived yet, but my experience of trying to enquire about services and facilities, as well as verifying my reservation is amongst the worst I have received in my short time on this planet

Trying to find out the parking facilities seemed to be a real stretch. I called the 0161 number purporting to be the Hotel Direct - but who knows these days. It was the third individual I was transferred to who could tell me if there was a car park and the costs (not sure if £25 per day is good value - but that's for another day and another review)

Then, I had the temerity to ask to verify my booking. I was placed on hold for a long time, then someone from a cross the globe couldn't trace my name or details, I was then pin-pronged back to the reception of the hotel I had originally called - this person could at least track me down and confirm my booking.

I just hope the actual stay is better than the pre-amble. My company has made some of the arrangement and insist I stay here otherwise I think I would sleep in the car

Get your phone contact system sorted out Mr Hilton - this is not good service - or even moderately acceptable service for a world-wide-brand

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
John M, Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Guest

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete this review.

I am disappointed to receive your feedback, and as such, I would be grateful if you could provide us with your telephone number so that we may contact you at your convenience to discuss your experience in detail. Please contact Damian Gilvary on damian.gilvary@hilton.com or 0161 870 1761.

In the meantime, please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointing experience. I am only sorry you didn’t receive our normally high standards of service.

Berkshire, Reading
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Excellent views from the bedrooms and good quality rooms, as you would expect from Hilton. Drinks on the 23rd floor are very special with a great atmosphere.

Dinner and breakfast was good - although I've had better, here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this positive review following your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that like many other guests that you found the views from the hotel to be stunning.

I am glad that we were able to offer you all the amenities to make your stay an enjoyable and comfortable one.

My team and I really hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when your travels bring you back to Manchester for business or leisure.

Sheffield
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I booked this hotel for an anniversary weekend, and booked a long time in advance. We were fortunate to be eligible for an upgrade at the time of booking to an executive double on the executive floor.
We were checked in promptly by a very friendly receptionist, who offered us a complimentary breakfast for us both for our anniversary which was a really welcome addition!
The room was excellent, very comfortable and really well designed. I had the best night sleep in a long long time! The bathroom had a rainfall shower cubicle, a seperate large bath, and really great toiletries. I was disappointed that there was no power socket near the bed, but to be honest, I have found this in nearly every hotel I've stayed in!
The view from the room was really excellent, unfortunately however, the windows were very dirty on the outside and although this was the 19th floor, if a hotel sells its-self on the views, the windows should be clean enough to enjoy it fully!
If you are tempted by the Cloud 23 bar, I would suggest you book into an executive room... you get access to the executive lounge on the same floor as Cloud 23, but your drinks and snacks are complimentary!
We were also very grateful and impressed to find a congratulatory message from the hotel in our room when we returned from a night out. However, I was slightly disappointed this wasn't waiting for us on our arrival as I had attempted to prebook a welcome gift by telephoning the hotel earlier in the week.
The choice of breakfast was excellent, full english and continental and very well cooked.
A little tip; if you are coming into Manchester on the train, you can use your train ticket to travel to other stations in the city. The hotel is next door to Deansgate station, but is a very long walk from Piccadilly!

Room Tip: Upgrade to an executive floor; the lounge, more spacious room and high floor makes it well worth it!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul M
Dear Guest

We are delighted that you chose to stay with us to celebrate your anniversary; it was our pleasure to be able to look after you during your stay and form part of your celebrations.

Thank you booking to stay in a one of our Executive rooms which allowed you to enjoy the hospitality of the team in the Executive Lounge.

The team at Hilton Manchester Deansgate are delighted to be able to offer you friendly and helpful service and we hope that you are able to return to the hotel when your travels bring you back to Manchester.

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

After looking forward to coming here for a special birthday for so long I honestly wished I would have stayed at home!. Upon arrival we were told the payment would be taken straight away from my card for the room which I would have been happy to do this if I was the one paying, my mother booked the room and paid for it especially for my birthday she was told the payment would be taken from her card either when we checked it or checked out which was fine with us but this was a different story when we tried to explain this we were made to feel on the spot and very embarrassed it took about 20 minutes stood there before we even managed to get in the room, after saying I wanted to speak to a manager we were then given out room card and sent away. Having my mood already ruined from the check in experience we were told there would be something in the room for my birthday there was nothing, it took my mum to get on the phone and complain about how we were treated for them to send anything up and even when they did they shouldn't have bothered I received a lousy plate with a few pieces of fruit and several small chocolates what a joke considering my friend received a bottle of champagne when it was his birthday!. After all this we wanted to go to the cloud bar for cocktails I will not be making this mistake again after being told on the phone we wouldn't need to book we stood waiting in the queue for at least 45 minutes while people who they classes as VIPS happily pushed in front of us and went up before us I've never felt like such a second class citizen in all my life we were as good as anyone else yet we were made to feel like we shouldn't be there. After standing there for so long I said to the host it's my birthday we were told we didn't need to book and we've been stood here so long she simply said she would aim to get us up within 5 minutes she did do this but whilst I was talking to her she was very arrogant and didn't seem to care at all I was talking to her. I will not be returning to this hotel again I will be putting in a formal complaint about the way we were treated and will be informing my friends and family cannot believe how belittled you were made to feel when you spend so much money for 1 night.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Beccy R

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I booked a surprise birthday stay here for a friends birthday.
We had lunch in the Executive Lounge, dinner at Podium and enjoyed cocktails in the evening at Cloud 23.
However, having visited the Executive Lounge and Cloud 23 we noted how clear the windows were in there, compared to the windows in our room (1911) which gave a completely different view !!
I asked reception staff if there was a film over the bedroom windows for some reason and they confirmed not. I informed them that having seen the other windows our view was disappointing as the windows very obviously just very dirty.
On checking out the following day the response was not great either as I was told "I'll have to get the cleaners up there then".

The above was simply raised as a concern as this is a main feature of the hotel and certainly of our trip - it was the main reason I booked to stay.
It was not a complaint as everything else was lovely throughout our stay.
However, I am disappointed having emailed the hotel on our return twice and having heard no response whatsoever other than the automatic mandatory Thank you for staying with us.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

England
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

We've stayed in a lot of Hiltons and this is by far one of the best in the UK. Modern, clean, executive lounge stylish and great views.
Great location and concierge extremely helpful.
Only let down was the room service... It was really expensive and very poor quality.

Stayed February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us, we are absolutely delighted to learn that you rank us as your number 1 Hilton hotel in the UK.

I am thrilled that you had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed our facilities and service.

We are very fortunate to be centrally located within the city and I am glad that our location worked well for your visit to Manchester.

I am very sorry that you were disappointed by your room service order. The kitchen team are very skilled in preparing high quality dishes for our guests to enjoy and I am exceptionally sorry that we failed you during your visit. The team in the kitchen have been made aware of your comments to ensure that this is not repeated in the future. I can assure you that Hilton Manchester Deansgate is competitively priced with other hotels in the city and completed a cost analyst when putting our Room Service prices together.

The team here at Hilton Manchester Deansgate are pleased to be able to offer you a friendly service and we hope that you will be returning to stay with again.