“Not 5*” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Not 5*”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Clean, well decorated hotel, very central to my favourite spots in Manchester but I have wanted to stay here for a while and I have to say I felt slightly let down and I'm not sure why - it just didn't have the wow factor for me.
Bed was comfy, only one dressing gown which was slightly confusing and very dirty windows which was a shame - as a diamond member we were in the executive rooms on the 21st floor and it would have been nice to have a view over Manchester.
For convenience it is in a fab spot though - deansgate locks round the corner have some great bars and San Carlo is just up the road. Although I would stay away from the cloud 23 bar (see separate review!)

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us recently.

I am pleased that we formed a convenient base for your visit to Manchester. We are very fortunate to be located in walking distance of all that Manchester has to offer.

I note your comments regarding the window cleaning and we are aware they require cleaning; however the contractors need near perfect weather conditions to carry out these works.

I can only apologise that that you felt that we did not offer you the wow factor and we appreciate that this is a personal choice.

My team and I hope that you choose to stay with us again in the future.

John McLaughlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
whitehaven, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

From check in to check out this hotel will surpass your expectations.Having booked online for our 1st wedding anniversary on arrival we were congratulated and upgraded. The hotel lobby is beautiful with friendly staff. Cloud 23 is worth a visit as it gives you unit erupted views of the city. The rooms are spacious and the floor to ceiling windows give you that feeling of extra space to. In my opinion you'd be silly to elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your very kind feedback with everyone.

We are delighted that you chose to stay with us to celebrate your 1st wedding anniversary; it was our pleasure to be able to look after you during your stay.

I am really pleased that we were able to offer you an upgrade to enhance your stay and that you were able to enjoy the wonderful views of Manchester and beyond from the comfort of your guest room.

May I take this opportunity to congratulate you on your recent celebrations and we hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

lovely hotel, stayed here for one night. bedroom was very nice, hilton beds a comfy as ever. bathroom nice with walk in shower

i was lucky to stay on the 21st floor lovely views through the glass wall in the bedroom, altough the outside glass could of done with a clean.

breakfast was amazing, everything you could ask for

Room Tip: higher floors nicer views
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing your feedback.

I am pleased that your guest room was to your liking and offered you all the facilities to make your stay a comfortable one. I am delighted that you had a good night’s sleep in our comfortable beds.

I agree that the views of Manchester and beyond are amazing and I am pleased that you were able to enjoy them from the comfort of your guest room.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast prior to departure and my team and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

It's alright, the rooms are nice and our room was clean.
I ordered a Sunday paper which was not delivered (which annoyed me loads as I was looking forward to the luxury of reading the paper in bed with no kids running about!)
The 'complimentary' bottle of water in the room had a price tag of £3.95 and is of course room temperature.
Massive queue for breakfast.
Breakfast is the usual mass catered affair, nothing to write home about but nothing really wrong with it either.

So, nothing major wrong, nothing that would make you not stay here - but also absolutely nothing that would make you come back.

There are better hotels in Manchester than this one.

Dear Guest

I am sorry that you did not receive your newspaper and this has been address with our Front of House Manager, I appreciate how annoying this must have been.

Thank you once again for your comments, as it is only through such feedback that we are able to constantly improve our products and services.

Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

This is a very nice hotel - the staff are very friendly and help when ever they can - breakfast was fairly average but with so many people to attend to staff do a reasonable job - the area around the hotel is currently being renovated but noise is very quiet

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to have you with us recently, thank you for choosing to stay with us.

The team are always happy to offer a friendly and efficient service and they have all been given visibility of your kind words.

We certainly hope that we have the pleasure to welcome you back to Hilton Manchester Deansgate soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Where do I start?

I have never wrote a bad review in my life, nor have I wrote a letter of complaint, but after a TERRIBLE stay at The Hilton Hotel Deansgate, I felt I had no other option.

We booked a King Plus Executive room at a price of £189.00 per night with parking being £15.00 a night, so a very expensive stay, but we expected to have a luxurious mini break, we could not have been more wrong!

When we arrived, we were told our room wasn't ready, that annoyed us slightly considering we had arrived 10 minutes after check in time, so we waited for the guy on reception to let us know when the room was ready, he stood there clicking on his computer for 10 minutes, then disappeared into the back room, without saying a word, we weren't sure weather to stay at the desk or go for a sit down, but decided to wait, he then came back out with a manager who told us that our room had in fact been ready the whole time, we waited for around 25 minutes before being given our room key, which may not seem like a long time, but having been traveling for an hour and with us both carrying big bags, we were pretty irritated.

Now for the worst bit, when we got in the room it was filthy, I'm not just talking a little smear on the mirror and un-fluffed pillows, it was a state. The bath was coated in old bubble bath from the people before us and the sink still had toothpaste in it, so we spent 30 minutes cleaning the bathroom ourselves with makeup wipes. In the bedroom there were lots of stains covering the carpet and fluff, dust and litter from the guests before us all over the floor, I would bet my life on it the room had not been hoovered, there was still rubbish in the bin from the people before us and the desk was sticky from a spilt drink! I was nearly sick when I saw that the room service menu had food stuck to it from the people before us, just being in the room made me feel dirty! The dressing gown also had makeup on, so clearly hadn't been washed! I did post some pictures on here of the state of the room, unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the bath before we cleaned it.

Then the mini bar, we were tired from cleaning pretty much the whole of our room and decided that, although the mini bar was ridiculously over priced, we'd grab a drink. Maybe not! The mini bar consisted of two cans of cola and a twix bar, never in any hotel I've stayed in have a seen a mini bar like it, more proof the room had not been serviced, as it hadn't been restocked!

Facilities that were advertised on website did not work, tv only had 5 channels, TV in bathroom had no sound except on Sky Sports, jacuzzi setting only worked on one level and turned itself on during the night, no coffee machine, I could go on..

After an awful nights sleep, we woke up feeling groggy and dirty, and began getting ready for checkout at 12:00pm, at 11:10am someone began banging hard on our door, my boyfriend went to answer it and found a maid with a tray of cleaning supplies just staring at him, he politely said that we were not due to check out until 12:00pm and she tutted and stormed off, so loud that the room was shaking! She didn't say a word, just sort of growled! Could not believe it as we had the do not disturb sign out!!

We were so angry that we had paid £200 (with parking) to stay in a dirty, unfriendly hotel, so we decided to log a complaint when checking out, when the man asked "how was your stay" my boyfriend began to tell him we weren't happy, he just nodded and smiled and gestured to the people behind us in the que to come forward, shocked isn't the word! So we gave up.

I have since emailed two people who run the Hilton Hotel Deansgate and am waiting for a reply, I really wouldn't bother if I were you the hotel is ridiculously overpriced for what you actually receive! We have stayed in lots of slightly cheaper and 100% nicer hotels in the area! I would advise you to stay in one of them. If you are offered room 1606 refuse as the carpet is stained, and nothing works!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Guest

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete this review following your stay at Hilton Manchester Deansgate and for contacting us directly.

We hope that you have received our direct response to you.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointing experience. I am only sorry you didn’t receive our normally high standards of service.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed here for two nights in feb 2014 as a treat for my daughter we paid £298 as we upgraded to the executive room,my first issue at the hotel is the spa after trying to get through to book a apt it was 10days before I heard back and this was only due to the threat of asking to speak with a manager,we finally booked our treatment the night before our stay although I wasn't overwhelmed with the treatment I had a massage my daughter had a manicure but was left waiting outside alone whilst I was in the treatment room (she's 11yrs old) I was under the impression there was a beauty therapist with her as she was there when I went in the room when I come out she had been left sat there alone for half an hour,my daughter used the swimming pool but could not use the jacuzzi as there were tiles missing due to this reason it was closed,the changing facilities were just ok nothing special and fairly untidy not what I expected,
.now to the room .....bear in mind we paid nearly £300 it wasn't worth it although it was a nice room it was a little dated and certain things were shabby and tired looking,the shower wasn't great as soon as u turned it on it went to the side which then caused water to leak all over the floor,the toiletries were bear minimum nowhere near enough for two people for two nights and the fabulous views were ruined by the filthy ness of the window when the sun shone you could barely see out,I would stay again but only if I got this through an offer and I definitely would not pay full price,I have no bad words about the reception staff they really were helpful as was the lady who was at the desk in the gym,however the bar staff in the podium bar and restaurant were particularly bad as was the lady working in the executive lounge during breakfast I didn't find her particularly friendly and tables were left with dirty plates the whole time we were there.All in all the hilton Is a nice hotel but not top of the range like its made out to be and some of the staff really do let it down,I expect a lot of people would visit this as a one off As its just not worth the money.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank katie b
Dear guest

Thank you for staying with us recently with your daughter, it was a pleasure to be able to welcome you to Hilton Manchester Deansgate.

I am disappointed to read your comments following your visit to Spa 303 within Hilton Manchester Deansgate. Spa 303 is a concession of the hotel and I can assure you that your comments have been passed to the team at Spa 303.

I am sorry that you felt that our guest rooms did not offer you the wow factor and we appreciate that this is a personal choice.

I am disappointed and surprised to read your comment regarding the manner our team members in Podium Restaurant Bar and Lounge and Executive Lounge as they are all fully trained to deliver a high quality service to all of our guests. The entire team have been given visibility of comments.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future when you may be able to take advantage of one of the many deals that we offer.