“Very disappointing”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #47 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed here for my sisters 50th in January 2014. Bought the room through an agent and so check in proved difficult and far too long. We eventually went to our room and on opening the door there was an horrific smell, we thought someone had just used the toilet. As the earliest you can check in is 3 and we were delayed at check in, we didn't have time to go back down and change rooms as we had a make-up artist coming at 4. The room itself was very shoddy. The furniture was, to say the least, tired and the general feel of the room was dirty and low quality. Although we had bought the room through a 3rd party we did not get a special rate or any cheaper. There is nothing complimentary, no free wifi, toiletries are sparse and poor quality and there was one toilet roll that was more than half used. When we returned after our evening out and eventually went to sleep, we were woken throughout the night with people coming in and running up and down the corridor shouting from 3 - 4 am. On a positive note the breakfast was good, but in reality we could have stayed at a Premiere in for a 3rd of the cost and gone out for a top quality breakfast and still had £60 left in our pocket. We were going to the cloud for cocktails before going out to dinner, I was told at reception when we checked in that I had to join the queue with the outside guests, I explained that I had actually booked for my friends and myself to go up several weeks ago and was told I would get priority, not because I had a room in the hotel but because I had pre-booked. When we came down to reception a group of our friends were stood in the queue, they had been told they had to do this. I then asked the lady on the lift if we had to queue as we had pre-booked and gave her our names. She said we didnt and immediately guided us into the lift. This was a real nightmare because I was arranging a surprise party for my sister and the other guests should have been in the Cloud bar when we arrived but the surprise was ruined as we ended up meeting everyone in reception! Isn't this supposed to be a 4 star hotel? This place needs an overhaul, cleaning, decorating and maintenance. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
John M, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review.

I was disappointed to learn of your experience and first and foremost, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this must have caused you during your visit. I would like to assure you, that your experience is not reflective of our normally high standards of service.

I can assure you that I have taken on board all of your comments and your feedback has given me the opportunity to speak with the relevant Head of Departments to ensure that the shortfalls you encountered do not recur in the future.

I empathise completely with your comments regarding the poor night’s sleep you had due to noise disturbance from other guests staying in the hotel. I can only apologise for their behaviour and lack of compassion to their fellow guests. I have requested that the Night Team conduct more frequent floor walks during the night to ensure that the problem you encountered does not recur.

I have also taken on board your comment regarding the communication at the welcome desk of Cloud 23 and reviewed the reservation process personally. Please be assured that while no ill intent will was meant, I can appreciate the frustration that this will have caused on your sisters special night.

I do hope that you have a change of heart and are able to visit us in the future to experience us at our best.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (4,642)

Reviewed 11 March 2014

First time here and valet parking was friendly and efficient. Overall it's OK with bland modern rooms and decent standards. Not as good as the Lowry down the road. Interesting bar on top floor with some great views. Good attitude and no problems.

Room Tip: the higher the better
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review.

I am glad that you your arrival was friendly and efficient and that you were able to enjoy the views of Manchester from the floor to ceiling windows that all of our guests rooms and Cloud 23 Bar offer.

I appreciate that Manchester has a number of high quality hotels and I am thankful that you chose to stay with us on this occasion and I do hope that you are able to return in the future.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Had a very enjoyable stay. The room was lovely, got the twin beds we asked for which were extremely comfortable. The staff were polite and helpful. The breakfast was excellent. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind feedback, we appreciate it.

I am delighted that you had a great stay with us and that you found your twin room to be extremely comfortable. I am thrilled to learn that you found all team members to be friendly and helpful.

I am really pleased that you will recommend our hotel to others and we hope to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel very soon when we will have the opportunity of looking after you once again.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed at the Hilton for 1 night on the 8th March as we were going to see jack Whitehall at the Phones4U arena. Staff were polite and welcoming on first arrival, easy and quick check in.
Room was ok. There was a stain on the curtain and the view of a car park wasn't the best view, must remember to specify a view if there is a next time! The bathroom was spacious and the bed was nice and comfy, though other half didn't think so.

One major disappointment was the breakfast all cooked nice I'm sure but it was cold, not sure if this was due to having breakfast in the room or not. Checkout was fast as well. Overall was a nice stay, didn't hear a noise once my head hit the pillow just spoilt by the odd thing. Couldn't fault the staff though. Didn't go to Cloud23 as there were constant queues, not sure why paying guests can't go up separately, so went to TGI Fridays instead no queues!!!

Dear Guest

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete this review following your stay at Hilton Manchester Deansgate.

I am aware that Damian Gilvary, our Front of House Manager, has already been in direct contact with you to discuss your feedback further.

In the meantime, please accept our sincere apologies for your disappointing experience. I am only sorry you didn’t receive our normally high standards of service.

I certainly do hope that you are able to return to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I thought I'd give the Deansgate Hilton a whirl as I didn't really want to pay the price my usual haunts were asking and the Hilton is always expensive. I booked a dinner, bed and breakfast package. The reason I booked this hotel over choosing another was that pets were welcome. Most chain hotel do not to allow pets so this limits your options. Upon arrival, I was faced with a pet policy contract to sign that I wasn't able to see prior to booking. The hotel doesn't want you to leave pets in your room in case of noise to other guests, so this becomes a problem upon eating unless you have room service, which was not included in my dinner package. If dogs make a noise (as dogs do!) and another guest complains, you will be charged £15 if you are not in your room, and requested to return. The hotel was noisy and my dog was asleep upon leaving the room. I assume something woke him. This to me does not equate to a pet welcoming hotel. Dogs are not welcome in any other areas of the hotel other than reception and rooms. Had to sit in reception all night for drinks with friends which wasn't very comfortable. I had to request that my dog could accompany me to eat breakfast in the empty bar area of the hotel, next to the restaurant to risk not being charged again, in case my dog made any noise in the room. This is not a pet welcoming policy and I suggest that this hotel changes its policy to not welcome pets. This would have made it a lot easier as I could have stayed somewhere else, instead of being afraid of offending someone and breaking the dreaded policy. Made it a really unrelaxing stay. Another of the Hilton's downsides, everything is a ridiculous additional charge. Want a latte with your breakfast? That's not included in your package (outrageous in a £200 a night hotel!!). Want wifi? That's £15 please! I just went elsewhere, as I'd paid Hilton enough for not very much!! Onto the room, it had a fabulous view of Manchester and was a good size, but that's it! The room costs a premium price but there are no luxury extras that should be expected in a room of this price. Bog standard Hilton fayre. Hotel room design and comfort was worthy of a hotel less than half the price. The restaurant and bar areas are quite pleasant. Food and drink varied in standard from good to poor. Not much selection at breakfast. Very middle of the road. The staff were all very pleasant, but when you have a cute dog, most people are because they just want to coo over the dog! Hideously overpriced and poor value. Avoid at all costs. Plenty of other fabulous options in Manchester and truly welcoming of dogs, so no problems there! Oh, as well, the hotel has a bar on a high floor of the hotel, Cloud 23. Looks pleasant early on in the afternoon and evening. Later on at night, there was a brawl in reception. That's the sort of crowd it attracts. Oozes class.

2  Thank Ian G

Dear Guest

I certainly do hope that you are able to return to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here on a Saturday night. Was met on arrival by very enthusiastic concierge, who offered Valet parking for £25, which I accepted.
Check in was efficient enough, although we were disappointed that resident had no guaranteed access to the Cloud 23 bar. I was told I was sent an email to advise me to book the bar, which I didn't receive. The attitude of both the receptionist & the bouncer at the lift was tough, you can queue like everybody else. Charming?
The concierge was very keen to take my bags to our room on the ninth floor. I hadn't got any cash, so I said I'd come & see him with a tip. He was keen to tell me he was off at 4 pm!
Room was ok, the view was nice. No complimentary water, your option is £3.95. All the minibar items are crazy money, £3.95 for a can of Diet Coke!! No free wifi, in 2014 free wifi is everywhere, it is disgusting that Hilton charge there guests for it! I'm sure the General Manager will inform me that if I became a regular Hilton user, I would be entitled to free wifi. My response would be there is no chance of that! Didn't have breakfast, at £17.95 per head, I refused to be ripped off any further.
On checkout, I saw the Conierge from the day before & promptly gave him £5 for carrying my bags the day before. I got, neither a 'Thank You' or any help carrying my bags to the car, once that £5 note was 'Trousered'.
That pretty well summed up my stay. General indifference to their paying guests, overpriced extra's & hidden charges.
Lowery, Mal Maison or Abode are much better options. Avoid!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!!
6  Thank Leedsaway67

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review on line following your stay with us.

I am pleased that your guest room was to your liking and that you were able to enjoy the wonderful views.

I empathise with your point regarding not gaining priority access to Cloud 23 as a hotel resident. Due to fire regulations we are restricted to 300 guest’s maximum at any one time on the 23rd floor and at times guests are choosing to queue to gain access. We must demonstrate fairness to all interested parties and I am pleased to confirm that that our guests do receive priority when requesting to be included on the Cloud 23 guest list.

Hilton hotels are transparent with regards to all of their charges and I am pleased to be able to inform you that complimentary WIFI is available in all of our public areas, as an alternative to the chargeable services in the bedrooms.

I was appalled to read the comments in relation to our concierge team and please be assured that this matter will be addressed. The Concierge team have been made aware of your feedback to ensure that this does not happen again.

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to detail your concerns and I can assure you that the relevant head of departments have been made aware of your comments to ensure that there is no recurrence.

I am sorry to read that you would not choose to stay with us again, however I do hope that you have a change of heart and allow us to demonstrate our normally high level of service.

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Amazing hotel stayed for buble also have stayed before totally beautiful experience all staff are so helpful and attentive really lovely wkd carnt wait to go back, bath was huge all bathroom was gorgeous!

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback following your recent stay at Hilton Manchester Deansgate.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am really pleased like many other guests that you found our team members to be always helpful and attentive.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.