“Easter Weekend”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #43 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 22 April 2014

first time at the Hilton, From arrival to leaving we had a great time and yes we would go back again, Just after getting there we had to evacuate the hotel the fire alarm went off ,, Remember were on floor 22, yes over 50 flight's of fire escape stairs to go down but it was all well in the end , Well the room 2218 was just awesome and the added access to the lounge is well worth paying extra for, I couldn't fault any of the staff its what hotels should be like, fast check in very clean and up to date room I've read on trip about visitors to this hotel there seem to moan when there leave ,, why ,, see the manager get it sorted there and then , Yes here's my moan £14.00 foe internet access but I did know it was a extra charge im thinking its something the hotel should address 20014 yes internet should be free, Ok put £1.00 on each room that should cover it each day

Room Tip: We were in room 2218 22 floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone, we appreciate it.

I am sorry that your visit coincided with an evacuation, which I am sure was an inconvenience to you during your stay, which I apologise for. However, the safety of our guests and staff is of paramount importance to us in Hilton and our first priority when the alarms sound is to evacuate the building whilst an investigation is carried out. I hope you found that the evacuation was dealt with in a professional manner.

Thank you for your feedback relating to our WIFI charges. Hilton hotels are transparent with regards to all of their charges and we are unable to alter this at hotel level. I can assure you that your comment has been pass to the relevant team within the organisation.

I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the hospitality of the team in the Executive Lounge and that you encountered efficient and friendly team members throughout your stay.

Thank you for highlighting that you will return to stay with us, we certainly look forward to having that pleasure.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Manchester Deansgate

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Nestled inside the iconic landmark on Manchester’s skyline, we got a room with stunning view from floor-to-ceiling window. Room amenities, hotel facilities, and services were excellent. The breakfast selection was splendid. Located in Manchester's main shopping district, we could easily walk to other interesting spots such as the biggest Hard Rock Cafe in United Kingdom - HRC Manchester. It's also not far to the Old Trafford and Etihad Stadium.

The only down side: in-room Wi-Fi is not free and rather pricey; for the room rate that's offered; I think it will be more convenience if the in-room Wi-Fi is complimentary.

Room Tip: Climb up to Cloud 23 to rock your night enjoying dinner & drink with spectacular view and atmosp...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone following your stay with us recently.

I am pleased that we formed a convenient base for your visit to Manchester. We are very fortunate to be located in walking distance of all that Manchester has to offer.

It is great to know that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel, our service, offerings and indeed our friendly and helpful team members, in particular Karis and our Concierge team. I am really pleased that you were able to enjoy the views from the floor to ceiling windows that all of our guest rooms have to offer.

I do hope that you are able to stay with us again very soon.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Myself & a group of friends recently stayed at the Hilton Deansgate for a night out in Manchester. We did get a really good deal as we did a room booking, so this saved us some money, as a basic breakdown to my personal experience of the Hilton:

PARKING:
No specific Hilton Parking, its just a case of whacking your car on the multi story over the road for £15 a night, although I'm sure there's some sort of deal where you get so much money back if you provide them a copy of your ticket, but its still the fact your cars just, and you cant just " abandoned on a general use multi story for 24 hours, and you cant exactly just "bob out to the car" if you needed to.

CHECK IN:
We arrived early for check in, so our rooms weren't ready, no problem, staff stored our bags for us while we went to the spa......

THE SPA
Girls at the reception were lovely, a few of us had appointments, we were offered water while we waited & filled out the forms etc., one of the girls showed us the changing rooms. However, oddly, there's no actual changing rooms, its just a case of there being one small room with a few lockers in and it being a 'just whip your kit off here in front of everyone' situation, there was just a general lack of care really, no toilet role in 1 toilet, hand dryer didn't work, one hairdryer didn't work, there were random screws sticking out of the work top by the hairdryers, and there was no hair straighteners, which wouldn't have been a problem IF my room had been ready to check into.
The pool itself was smaller than I imagined, again no problem, but the pool was actually really grubby! There was just general scum stuck round the tiles on the waterline, the tiles were wonky and uneven, the Jacuzzi was vile, grubby, tiles missing, grout discoloured. All just wanted a good bleaching and a jet wash taking to it. Additionally to this, the Jacuzzi and the steam room were out of action, which I was really gutted about, the girls on reception never mentioned facilities were down, which I thought they would have prior to us getting changed, because really it was only the Jacuzzi I wanted! I wouldn't have bothered getting changed if I had of known it wasn't working. A friend went to ask about the Jacuzzi "Its being cleaned and will be back on in 5-10 minutes" was the answer we get....brill we thought! However, an hour later, I'm still mooching around in the pool, just me and the water scum line hanging out together, still no Jacuzzi. I asked a male member of staff who was mopping the floor "We're just fixing a pipe underneath, it will be back on after 12.00' so a totally different answer than earlier, same with the steam room "There's some bulbs out in there so as soon as the Janitor gets in he'll get straight on it and it will be back on soon" As if the bulbs has miraculously broken over night, hours later, no maintenance man, no steam room. I just felt like we were being told excuse after excuse, frankly I'd rather them just say "its broken and wont be on" OR "we cant be bothered to put it on today as there's not many people here" at least that would have been the honest answer. A few friends had spa treatments which I was informed were AMAZING! Including an hours worth of hot stone massage. I wavered the spa treatments with the plan of spending time relaxing in the Jacuzzi, which obviously never happened.

.....After our time at the SPA we returned back to check in some hours later, after the official "2.00 at the latest" check in time, to find that the room STILL wasn't ready, so we had to do more standing around & more waiting. I was with quite a large party, some peoples rooms were ready, other peoples rooms weren't, some of you could go up and start getting ready, the rest of you cant, one of those situations....

HOWEVER, when we were finally given our room, we had an executive room & I must say it was very lovely, super cosy beds, lovely bathroom, everywhere clean, flat screen TV [although limited channels], hairdryer, packed mini bar, even some complimentary bottles of wine & nibbles waiting for us on arrival. Lovely fluffy towels, and at night the staff come in to close the curtains for you, replace towels with new ones, and pop you some little slippers by your bed, lovely :) The window was a bit grubby on the outside, which I'll let them off for, and we did over look a slightly vile car park roof or something, but if you overlooked the immediate, and looked out over Manchester the view was fab!

THE RECEPTION BAR:
VERY pricey, soup of the day £7.50, Baileys £6.50, bottle of vino £25 for just an average off the shelf bottle, but I think you expect this in these type of hotels, so not a huge issue.

CLOUD 23:
We were straight in, no queuing as we were all pre booked, amazing! Bouncer was lovely, staff were friendly & helpful. Only downside, although we'd arranged a £20 spend minimum up front each and all that business, at the end of a couple of drinks, we were told we owed near on £50 for the tip that they add on to the bill, which we had never been made aware of even though there had been numerous telephone conversations prior to booking, but they didn't really seem to care "oh well, did you have the email confirming your booking, yes well it would have been on there...." Clearly the error had been not getting the magnifying glass out to read the small print on the confirmation email, again not a huge issue but would have been courteous to let us know during the numerous telephone conversations previously as this had been the main form of contact between us & the Hilton.

BREAKFAST:
Breakfast the next day, which we had at the main reception, fine, lovely, full English, no issues. Plenty of staff offering tea / coffee etc. No ridiculous queuing and a good selection available. No issues.

CHECK OUT
Again, fine, was quick and courteous. Job done.

Would I stay again, probably yes, but I'd be super disappointed if the SPA wasn't working again, I would search around to get a good deal on one of the uprated rooms, and I definitely recommend getting the quick pass to Cloud 23, the que looked a nightmare! I think you sort of get a very much "get them in & get them out" feeling from the staff, I didn't feel particularly valued as a customer, It was a little of the feeling of "your not a millionaire so your money doesn't matter", one of those scenarios!

Room Tip: Pay the extra, shop around to get a good deal. pre book extra's before going.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback following your recent stay with us.

At the hotel we do have a limited number of car parking spaces that we offer for valet car parking for our guests however they do become taken quickly. When this is the case we are happy to offer our guests a discount when parking at the Great Northern car park, adjacent to the hotel entrance and our Front Office team are happy to validate the car parking tickets.

I am disappointed and surprised to read your feedback relating to our leisure facilities. The team in Livingwell clear, clean and repair the leisure facilities on an ongoing basis and they have been given visibility of your feedback.

I can only apologise that your all of your group’s rooms were not available at 14:00. Our check in time is 15:00 and we do our utmost to honour this time. I am delighted that your room was to your satisfaction and that you were able to enjoy the views from your Executive room.

Thank you booking to visit Cloud 23 during your stay. I can confirm that we include a discretionary 10% gratuity on parties of 6 guests and above and this is highlighted on booking correspondence, I can only apologise that this was not brought to your attention.

I can only apologise that you did not feel valued as a guest. As a Manchester hotel, we are proud to welcome our diverse community and guests into the hotel to enjoy our facilities.

We are proud of our ‘Hilton Breakfast’ and I am delighted that you enjoyed our offering. I am really pleased that you found the team members in Podium restaurant to be accommodating and that looked after you during your visit.

I am pleased to read that you are happy to return to stay with us.

Kind regards

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed for 1 night on 18th April 2014
Check was quick allocated room 918. Lifts are very quick
Entered room which was boiling hot as the sun was shining into the room. Bottle of water on table in window for which they charge £3.95. Would have thought this would be complimentary
Room was nice and clean lovely comfy bed, breakfast was excellent
The staff are lovely and very helpful
Hotel at end of Deansgate about a 15 mins walk into main shopping areas with some nice little shops on the way
Went for a drink in cloud 23, would recommend you book this with the girl beside the lift, saves you queuing , lovely experience but expensive 2 gin & tonics,1 vodka lime lemonade was £25.00

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for offering this review following your stay with us on 18th April.

I am really pleased that you had a great stay with us and that the guest room allocated to you offered you all of the amenities you needed for a comfortable stay.

The water supplied in our guest rooms is there as a benefit should our guest wish to consume it. We would of course have been more than happy to offer alternatives via our Room Service department should you have so wished.

I can assure you that Hilton Manchester Deansgate is competitively priced with other hotels in the city and completed a cost analyst when putting Cloud 23 prices together.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast prior to your departure and my team and I hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future when we will have the pleasure of looking after you once more.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Well if I can say one thing about this property is "get your self to the top floor to see the view!"
Made my way to the club lounge for a drink and some how passed thru another door and was in the bar named Cloud 23. The view was great!! Very clean and modern rooms. The bed was a bit old but the rest of the hotel made up for it. Had breakfast and was happy with the selection. First room I checked into had a problem with the air condition but the hotel staff moved me with no problem. Very friendly staff and problem the friendliest concierge I have ever met. Thumbs up Hilton!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently.

I am really pleased that you had time to visit our 23rd floor which allowed you to enjoy the wonderful views of Manchester and beyond, I agree that views from the hotel are spectacular.

I am sorry that you had to move rooms during your stay due to technical issues in the rooms allocated to you, however I am pleased that we were able to offer you an alternative room and this was done with minimum disruption.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast offering prior to your departure and I really hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when your travels bring you back to Manchester.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I have been a Hilton Diamond member for 10 years which would equate to at least 700 nights in various Hilton hotels plus other hotel groups that I patronise. This includes the Hilton Deansgate which I stayed at on 23rd March.
On arrival it was raining and the concierge watched me struggle to carry 3 bags through the most annoying revolving doors I ever experienced. Eventually help arrived but a little late.
Check in was the usual boring dribble-about the hotel facilities I am a Diamond member for gods sake so I know what is on offer and provided .
The executive lounge has been refurbished but at the weekend clients from the Cloud 23 Sky bar which is on the same floor as the exec lounge share this with hotel guests for afternoon tea. An odd arrangement I thought .
Breakfast I took in the lounge because breakfast in the restaurant can be pandemonium.
A strange sign next to a 4 slot toaster said 3 slots were not working so just use the slot on the far right, surely a hotel group the size of the Hilton could afford to invest in a new toaster for
its guests .
Food and drinks are served in the exec lounge from 1800 to 2000 but you would think some guests had not eaten for weeks as the amount of food and drink they consumed was worrying.
One tip if you do use the exec lounge , arrive well before closing because dead on 2000 all is very quickly packed away.
Final tip if you attempt to gain entry to the lift that takes you to the most overrated bar in the city, Cloud 23 don't have a drink before eat copious amounts of mints because like me if you arrive 2300 after dinner and wine with the faintest smell of alcohol on your breath you will be refused entry by the so called security guys who make this judgement, basically they are bullies don't work for the hotel and have no right to refuse you entry.
Bar service is poor, the food in the bar is poorer, the rooms average and overpriced. And the policy of hiking the hotel rates up when either Man Utd or Man City are playing at home is outrageous and blatant profiteering.
Recommended to teetotallers and people with very little taste.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback my team and I were saddened to read your review.

I would also like to thank you for taking the time to correspond directly with us and we are delighted to learn that you will return to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Why bother staying in this Hilton, does not have it's own parking, has no endearing qualities, housekeeping standards shocking (only one bathroom to share between two & one bath towel)

Cold breakfast and poor choice in the "executive lounge".

Poorly run example of a lack lustre Hilton property. I might add, my room was £130 Room only.

There are too many fantastic hotels in Manchester to bother with this "has been" property.

Incidentally, I am a Hhonors member and they treat me this way, goodness knows how you will be treated if you were some random off the street.

Room service is a joke, they took order for two hot chocolates, (hardly exotic) and then called back to say the machine was switched off.... Completely Unacceptable. One of my meals was undercooked, the other was just ok.

Oh and don't expect any level of service in Cloud 23. Poor Show Hilton! You need to visit Trader Vics, London, to watch how to run a good bar!
Don't Risk It!

2  Thank John P

Dear Guest

I am saddened to receive your review and that you felt undervalued as a Hilton Honour guest. I can assure you that we value all of our guests and I am disappointed that you felt otherwise.

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to detail your experience during your stay. I am sorry that your stay with us was not a positive one.

I am disappointed that you encountered less than perfect service as our team members are fully trained to offer a high quality service and I am very sorry that you did not encountered this during your stay. All relevant team members have been given visibility of your comments to ensure that there is no repeat.

I do hope that you are able to reconsider visiting us in the future.