“Impressive building...”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #42 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Impressive building and views but not worth the money we paid, room was clean and spacious, bed was comfy and the views across manchester were good but I wouldn't say our experience was anything special. Would I stay again? Probably not

• Stayed: July 2013
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone.

It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay; it is also good to learn that you had a good night’s sleep in our comfortable beds.

I am really pleased that you were able to appreciate the stunning views of Manchester and beyond whilst in the hotel.

I do hope that you return to stay with us in the future, when we will have the opportunity to look after you once again.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

It's a good looking well placed flash hotel in central manchester near the attractions and restaurants and clubs also the Museums and shops.
The staff we very helpful and friendly, the rooms had a great view but were pretty corporate not much different to a premier inn.
The food in the restaurant downstairs was great but the breakfast was expensive .. 26 pounds each for room service and was pretty poor, got the orders wrong, when I mentioned this at check out I was told nicely that it had been very busy.
The gymn is small but the kit was good, the swimming pool was 20m but narrow, the views were OK 2 loungers steam room etc.
I would go again if they prices were a little lower.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to an exec you get free use of the excellent lounge free drinks and canapés!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bapbiswas
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Manchester Deansgate whilst in the city.

We are very fortunate to be centrally located within the city and I am glad that our location worked well for your visit to Manchester.

Thank you for your comments with regards to the prices relating to breakfast. I can assure you that we are competitively priced with other hotels in the city, however we are pleased to be able to offer ‘deals’ and I hope that you are able to take advantage of one of them in the future.

The team here at Hilton Manchester Deansgate are pleased to be able to offer you a friendly service and we hope that we are able to look after you on a return visit.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

They are not as good as there so called reputation. They let my husband sign for the bar when I was the main signatory, had to chase up cleaning the room one day, breakfast was very fatty, bacon was awful. Taken money from my card when not the designated card, e/mailed us about early check in request a week after we had stayed. Police called out because of a wedding brawl

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie R
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback.

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to detail your experience during your stay. I am sorry that your stay with us was not a positive one.

I am disappointed that you encountered less than perfect service as our team members are fully trained to offer a high quality service and I am very sorry that you did not encountered this during your stay. All relevant team members have been given visibility of your comments to ensure that there is no repeat.

I do hope that you are able to reconsider visiting us in the future.

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for business on Sunday night. Reception staff were helpful though not especially welcoming and seemed somewhat rushed despite it being 10:30 pm. Room was huge and nicely thought out, though the bed has seen better days. Very prominent springs, felt like a hostel bed, and the bed sheets were past their best. Clean but stiff and worn, premier inns sheets are softer. The main issues I noticed were stained carpets in the bedroom, and they were coming away from the wall at the entrance to the room. The hand towel was thoroughly stained with make up and had I not left at 7 am I would have said something to reception. I accept mistakes happen but for a Hilton I expect more. Also £15 for WiFi is a joke! Wouldn't rush back sadly.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Aaron S

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing your feedback.

I am disappointed and surprised to read your comment regarding our team members on reception as we receive a high number of compliments relating to how friendly and welcoming they are. I am sorry that you did feel this was the case during your stay.

The senior team with our Housekeeping department have been made aware of your comments. I am disappointed to receive your comments as our guest rooms are ordinarily of a very high standard. We would have been more than happy to offer alternatives to ensure your satisfaction.

I am sorry that you found our beds to be uncomfortable. We have recently purchased new mattress for all of our beds and have received compliments following this update. I appreciate that the comfort of a bed is a personal choice.

Hilton Worldwide is delighted to be able to offer our guests full WIFI access in all areas of the hotel including guest bedrooms. Hilton hotels are transparent with regards to all of their charges and we are unable to alter this at hotel level. I have passed on your feedback to our relevant teams within the organisation.

I am really sorry that your stay was marred by poor housekeeping and I do hope that this does not deter you from returning to stay with us again

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Very friendly staff especially Raul at reception desk, cleanliness of a good standard. Overall good experience. However, could not watch movies as it would have cost £12.00, could have just gone to the cinema. Breakfast variety was great and delicious food. Wish we'd stayed longer.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for the first time on your recent visit to Manchester.

I am pleased that we were able to offer you a warm and efficient welcome on your arrival to the hotel. I can assure you that our entire Front Office team have been made aware of your kind words especially Raul.

My team and I are am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast offering prior to your departure.

We really hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when your travels bring you back to Manchester.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

After an excellent experience last time around, we couldn't wait to come back. Stayed for 3 nights, on the fully flexible rate for a standard room (£139 Fri-Sat, then £119 Sunday) as this particular property rarely discounts in the usual Hilton sales in January and autumn. So took the gamble that the Gold HHonors status would get me an executive room and lounge access - which it duly did. Raul on the front desk on check-in was excellent, welcoming us back and even remembered us (pretty impressive after an 11 month gap!), and we were on the 20th floor (room 2018) looking south (away from the city centre). All staff greeted us, and the reception staff were all keen to offer advice on restaurants and things to do in Manchester.

Room was a bog standard Hilton executive room, all the usual refinements - pretty much everything you could possibly need has been thought of. Only criticism was that the shower door seal was leaking so I had to mop up the mess every time I had a shower. Other than that it was spotlessly clean and all the usual touches - free bottles of Strathmore every day.

Pretty much all of the things that I said last time are valid this time around - the executive lounge is one of the best around with the amazing views from the 23rd floor; and the staff are attentive at removing used glasses and plates. Although the selection of warm canapes got rather repetitive - they were the same three days in a row. The breakfast service in the lounge is very limited though compared to the main restaurant on the ground floor - it's a very basic continental selection - so if you want your bacon and eggs you'll have to go downstairs I'm afraid. Lounge does get busy at peak times during alcohol service, and noise from the public sky bar next door leeches through.

The only real things that are worth major criticism, and are really nothing that the hotel can easily put right due to the design of the building are firstly the rather pokey swimming pool (which is more of a novelty because it is located in the glass box above the concierge station for the residential section of the Beetham Tower - those natty portholes in the floor of the pool!!); and secondly the main restaurant. Didn't eat in it this time around, but it's just the atmosphere of the place - it feels more like a giant canteen than an elegant Hilton restaurant charging Hilton prices. So I gave it a miss this time - we did try the basic bar menu on our final evening, which is reasonably priced, and serves less pretentious dishes (read burger + chips, club sandwich, fish + chips, bowl of pasta etc.) than the main restaurant.

One other minor niggle which could be put right is the changing rooms - why don't they provide a little spin dryer for your swimming trunks - every other Hilton leisure club I've been in has one - instead I had to hang mines up in the washing line in my bathroom. A tip I can offer you is car parking - I prefer the Park Avenue car park within the Bauer Millett car dealership next door to the hotel underneath the railway arches. It closes at 11pm so your car is locked away, and it's also cheaper than the NCP Great Northern that the hotel recommends. I was charged £35 for three days, compared to £45-£49 at the NCP.

But overall, an excellent stay once again - I can't recommend highly enough and it's always sad to leave.

Room Tip: South facing rooms don't look onto the city centre, but there is more road noise. Also mobile d...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin S

Dear Guest

Thank you for returning to stay with us recently and for sharing your detailed review.

I am delighted that you booked an Executive room to stay with us recently and I am really pleased that you encountered an efficient and friendly service throughout your stay.

Thank you for using our leisure area during your stay. I appreciate that our swimming pool is not the largest hotel pool; however, at 20m long it was designed as an architectural feature to compliment the building design.

I appreciate that the design of our hotel is not to everyone’s liking, however, these great architectural spaces created by Ian Simpson are award winning and I appreciate that this is a personal choice.

Thank you for recommending us. My team and I hope that we are able to look after you once again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We went away for a night for a birthday and attempted organising a bottle of wine in the room on arrival. After a few attempts on the phone and emails we were told all had been sorted and would be in our room with a birthday but on our arrival this was not the case and took a while to then receive it and once we did there was no real apology just handed it at the door. Also the mini bar was empty apart from what looked like a Chinese takeaway from the night before that smelt, so they had to then fill that back up. The wine that arrived we couldn't open with the plastic bottle opener so had to get another one sent up to be opened in our room.

After this we went to cloud 23 which had great views but took us about an hour to be seen and served at our table, it took 3 people we was with to speak to different staff to finally get someone at our table and receive some drinks.

Overall our thoughts were very disappointing for the money we had paid for the stay. Doubt we will be staying there again

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your stay at Hilton Manchester Deansgate.

I am so disappointed to read your feedback in that that encountered poor service whilst in Cloud 23. Our Cloud 23 Manager has been given visibility of your feedback and I can assure you that the necessary action has been taken within his team to ensure that our guest receive the ordinarily high standards of service that we offer.

I can understand how frustrating it must have been not to have had your requirement in your room on arrival after you had taken the time and trouble to contact the hotel to arrange this. This is a very unusual occurrence and I can confirm that procedures have been reiterated to those teams concerned. I hope you accept my apologies.

Please accept my apologies that the mini bar in your room was not checked, cleared or replenished ready for your arrival and this has been addressed.

I do hope that you have a change of heart and reconsider staying with us again.